+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Remember The Bluebirds Club ?

Re: Anyone Remember The Bluebirds Club ?

Sorry Sludge, I kinda de-threaded this by bringing up the PoW cinema. I do find it interesting though that when I read comments, I can't really tell if they're describing the old BC or the PoW!

p.s. I think anacronyms are allowed by page 2.

I'm sure I stumbled in there on the odd occasion!

I remember going for a drink in the Bluebirds Club, before a game. Can't say I went there often, though I did also attend some supporters' meeting there at one point.
    I also saw a film in the Prince of Wales. My grandmother took me and my brother to see some Disney film with a monkey in it - I think it was 'The Barefoot Executive', but not 100%. Must have been very early seventies?

Me and my mate were watching a film in The Prince of Wales, bloke next to us offered me some popcorn out of the box on his lap, how we laughed when we realised he’d cut a hole in the bottom of the box and had a banana in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The stench of allbright and woodbines

Sticky floor

Cold pasties and pickled eggs

No wonder no fecker ever went in there
    Wasn't that everywhere even early 70's

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Me and my mate were watching a film in The Prince of Wales, bloke next to us offered me some popcorn out of the box on his lap, how we laughed when we realised he’d cut a hole in the bottom of the box and had a banana in there.
    When you say next to him were you either side or did one of you have to reach across?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    When you say next to him were you either side or did one of you have to reach across?
    Oh we boxed him in thinking of the free popcorn

I remember the Tufty Club.

Schoolboy humour at its finest!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    I remember the Tufty Club.
    Care to enlighten us?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wasn't that everywhere even early 70's
    Still like it in merthyr and the Rhonndda

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Sorry Sludge, I kinda de-threaded this by bringing up the PoW cinema. I do find it interesting though that when I read comments, I can't really tell if they're describing the old BC or the PoW!

p.s. I think anacronyms are allowed by page 2.
    Hmmmmm Croesy will be here later to confirm that, just cross your fingers it passes his judgement

Talking of licensed premises near the ground, what’s the sketch with that Sandmartin place now? Went to go in for a pint a few seasons back but was told by a doorman that there was no horizontal drinking (apparently that’s bouncer speak for ‘you can’t stand up and drink, you have to sit down and eat’.) You’d have thought that on a match day there’d be a fortune to be made if it was packed out with fans. It must be the only pub practically in grounds of any club that doesn’t encourage home fans.....or do they now? I haven’t got a clue......Surely ‘The Bluebird’ would’ve been a more appropriate name also or are the brewery involved determined to distance themselves from the club albeit not in closeness?

I went to the Prince of Wales once. Someone in school discovered that they'd let anyone in. I can even remember the name of the film. "Vanessa". The bloke that played Bullet Baxter in Grange Hill was in the support movie.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I went to the Prince of Wales once. Someone in school discovered that they'd let anyone in. I can even remember the name of the film. "Vanessa". The bloke that played Bullet Baxter in Grange Hill was in the support movie.
    Funny how things like that stick in your long-term memory. If I asked you what you had for lunch yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Funny how things like that stick in your long-term memory. If I asked you what you had for lunch yesterday...
    More or less something I was thinking about earlier this morning. The anecdotes/players/stories (basically useless facts & figures) that I recall from football history (and perhaps cricket) from the start of the game in the Victorian era to, say, the 1980s sometimes impresses me, not others I may add, as I say it’s basically useless facts and figures. This knowledge was gained from avidly reading everything about the game that I could get my hands on and the knowledge has stuck. This was a time when you had to seek out what you wanted, whereas nowadays you can access the news on clubs/players/ transfers etc 24/7 at your fingertips, yet nothing seems to stick now. I even had to look up who Swansea’s manager was whereas Trevor Morris, Billy Lucas, Harry Gregg etc are firmly planted in my head.

I’ve got a football mad 23 year old working for me, who’s spot on with his knowledge from the last ten years but no clue whatsoever of the history of the game, he was running through who’d qualified for the coming World Cup yesterday off the top of his head, Saudi Arabia, Iran etc, there’s me struggling to name more than, say, ten. He annoys me sometimes though, one time talking about the FA Cup and I was on about the time we won it, he said ‘Why would I want to know about who won the cup in the 1940s or something’ I was f*cking right annoyed with him

It must be an age thing but I’m so glad that I do have my football history knowledge firmly entrenched, now where have I put that cup of tea? Did I make one? Have I had my dinner? Is it even dinner time?

More or less something I was thinking about earlier this morning. The anecdotes/players/stories (basically useless facts & figures) that I recall from football history (and perhaps cricket) from the start of the game in the Victorian era to, say, the 1980s sometimes impresses me, not others I may add, as I say it’s basically useless facts and figures. This knowledge was gained from avidly reading everything about the game that I could get my hands on and the knowledge has stuck. This was a time when you had to seek out what you wanted, whereas nowadays you can access the news on clubs/players/ transfers etc 24/7 at your fingertips, yet nothing seems to stick now. I even had to look up who Swansea’s manager was whereas Trevor Morris, Billy Lucas, Harry Gregg etc are firmly planted in my head.

I’ve got a football mad 23 year old working for me, who’s spot on with his knowledge from the last ten years but no clue whatsoever of the history of the game, he was running through who’d qualified for the coming World Cup yesterday off the top of his head, Saudi Arabia, Iran etc, there’s me struggling to name more than, say, ten. He annoys me sometimes though, one time talking about the FA Cup and I was on about the time we won it, he said ‘Why would I want to know about who won the cup in the 1940s or something’ I was f*cking right annoyed with him

It must be an age thing but I’m so glad that I do have my football history knowledge firmly entrenched, now where have I put that cup of tea? Did I make one? Have I had my dinner? Is it even dinner time?

Stopped watching Question of Sport for this reason.

Give me a question from 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago, NO PROBLEM

But nowadays, I don’t even know the people on there !!!!!

First Team

Probably went in there a handful of times but I have no memories of any of the visits.

This tells you all you need to know about the charms or otherwise of the place or alternatively my old git status with the inability to even remember what I have gone out to do most mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Probably went in there a handful of times but I have no memories of any of the visits.

This tells you all you need to know about the charms or otherwise of the place or alternatively my old git status with the inability to even remember what I have gone out to do most mornings.
    What, not even sharing popcorn with Splotty and his mate?

It was like phoenix nights but everyone pissed at 2 pm

Talking of licensed premises near the ground, what’s the sketch with that Sandmartin place now? Went to go in for a pint a few seasons back but was told by a doorman that there was no horizontal drinking (apparently that’s bouncer speak for ‘you can’t stand up and drink, you have to sit down and eat’.) You’d have thought that on a match day there’d be a fortune to be made if it was packed out with fans. It must be the only pub practically in grounds of any club that doesn’t encourage home fans.....or do they now? I haven’t got a clue......Surely ‘The Bluebird’ would’ve been a more appropriate name also or are the brewery involved determined to distance themselves from the club albeit not in closeness?
    I'm sure you, or maybe someone else, posted almost exactly the same thing soon after it opened.