+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An astonishing aerial view of central Cardiff from 1923

Re: An astonishing aerial view of central Cardiff from 1923

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    What you see here is the canal on the left and, on the right, the straight run of Bute Street with the railway beside. To the left of it is Butetown, with Loudon Square, Frederica and Christina Streets plainly visible - part of these still stand. Canal Parade is there - an echo of the past.

I'm researching Sophia and Frances Street for a client - they are to the left of Loudon Square. These may have been terraced houses, but they had seven rooms including three bedrooms and several were multi-tenancy occupations. They were owned by the Marquess of Bute and the rent was 11/6d in around 1900 - which was relatively expensive.

It's worth copying and pasting these photos for the detail they give.

Attachment 4861
    Greek Church top right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    is that gas holder roughly where the Motorpoint is now
    The Gas holder is actually close to the location of the Big Sleep Hotel (or whatever it's now called), opposite the Motorpoint.

The Big Sleep Hotel used to be the Gas building. Which makes perfect sense that it was built on the site of an old gas tank.

The person that thought it was The Angel Hotel, it's not. That is roughly the site now of The Marriot Hotel on Mill Lane. The canal ran along Mill Lane.

This map from 1916 may help. The canal can be seen beside Mill Lane. The site of the Gas Works is also shown

Mill Lane.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Thanks for posting the pic. My mother was born in Loudon Square in 1925. Family moved upmarket to Splott, then Adamsdown (but they called it Roath), a few years in Nottingham then 50 plus years in Rhiwbina. How Cardiff has changed in a relatively short space of time.
    My dad was born in 1925 and lived in Loudon Square, or very close to it, as a child, there must be a good chance they were in the same year in the same school if she was still there at primary school age.

Loudon Square, Butetown

Loudon square 2.jpg

Bottom centre just above the railway is the York Hotel brains pub

Loudon Square, Butetown

Loudon square 2.jpg

That’s an amazing photo. I never realised there was a canal at the bottom of st Mary’s street

Did the canal run all the way down through Bute street to the Bay?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    The Gas holder is actually close to the location of the Big Sleep Hotel (or whatever it's now called), opposite the Motorpoint.

The Big Sleep Hotel used to be the Gas building. Which makes perfect sense that it was built on the site of an old gas tank.

The person that thought it was The Angel Hotel, it's not. That is roughly the site now of The Marriot Hotel on Mill Lane. The canal ran along Mill Lane.

Which is why I said..."I thought it was the Angel hotel location and Westgate street, but that simply can't be"

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    Did the canal run all the way down through Bute street to the Bay?
    It ran from town past The York hence the street names being East Canal Wharf & West Canal Wharf, it ran parallel with Bute St but behind the houses, it’s a park now. It would have carried on through James St near The White Hart, Nethercott’s (Smellies) shop was on the corner of the park, and down to the Docks itself.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It ran from town past The York hence the street names being East Canal Wharf & West Canal Wharf, it ran parallel with Bute St but behind the houses, it’s a park now. It would have carried on through James St near The White Hart, Nethercott’s (Smellies) shop was on the corner of the park, and down to the Docks itself.
    What kind of a shop was Nethercott’s (Smellies) and why was it called "Smellies".... a fishmonger's?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

My father was born in a house on Hills Terrace 1906. It’s where St David’s 2 is located.

The house backed onto the canal that then went under the railway bridge past the York Hotel. My paternal grandfather was a coal trimmer on the coal barges that ran down the canal to the Docks.

I’m told that he’d be waiting for the barges at home and he would run and jump on the barge as it went past

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My parents called it smellies,it was Tugs to us kids born in the sixties.
    I fondly remember playing pool in there and going over the moon on the pinball, hey Poc!
    The Canal was filled in but still integral to the docks.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    That’s an amazing photo. I never realised there was a canal at the bottom of st Mary’s street

The canal was the other end of James st. Where it met Clarence rd.
    There was a train line there also.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I don’t think that’s right. I’m seeing Mill Lane and the crossroads at the end of St Mary’s street at the bottom left and the railway lines are headed towards Central station just out of picture at the bottom.
    It's St Mary Street!

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...&right=BingHyb

this double map shows where it all is

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    What kind of a shop was Nethercott’s (Smellies) and why was it called "Smellies".... a fishmonger's?
    It was a general store but had a pin ball machine so kids hung around in there. Why ‘Smellies’ I don’t know but that’s what it was always referred to.

Yeah that's what I see. You can actually see the start of Central Station platforms bottom left if you blow-up the photo. The bridge at the north end of Bute Street is plainly visible. I first thought there had been a flood, but it's obvious that it's smoke giving that impression.

I was researching that canal and Dumballs Road seems to have built on top of it.
    dont think thats right the canal run alongside dumballs rd where the park is now

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    dont think thats right the canal run alongside dumballs rd where the park is now
    Correct, the canal ran where the long narrow(ish) park is nowadays.