+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What advice would you give your sixteen year old self?

Re: What advice would you give your sixteen year old self?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    wear a fekkin condom
    Or you'll end up with kids that love you?

Make sure you tell loved ones how much you appreciate and love them.
    Focus more on your strengths than your weaknesses

Don't be a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    In 38 years time Cardiff will play Swansea at home

Don't go

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Don't be a ****.
    How'd that go for you?

Tune into the Moody Blues, timeless music. Educate yourself by travelling, or getting a job where you do travel. Do everything in moderation.
    Spedger

Don't mistake movement for progress.
    Don't mix romance and social work.
    Be aware that wishful thinking deludes us endlessly.
    Beware of the danger of addictions to internet message boards.
    Oh, and don't cash in your superannuation at 20 because you didn't think you would live that long.

Don't listen to them, you won't go blind!

Don't buy so many records and tapes - there'll be a day when you'll wonder what to do with them all.
    That one lad you hang around with - he's a tool; don't give him another second of your time.
    When your hair starts to thin get some of that Regaine.
    Yeah, sorry, it starts to go when you're about 30.
    No, don't cry, write it down: Regaine with an e at the end.
    Recognise and focus on the objective technique of everything - people's opinions are prone to ridiculous biases, including your own.
    Don't fret when people get pissy when you question their ridiculous biases with complex questions like "Why do you think that?"
    Give yourself room, forgive your mistakes, learn to relax.

Brush your teeth properly and floss regularly, otherwise it'll cost you a small fortune to rectify later on in life.

Don't go
    Haha yep

Switch yourself off from the mainstream media and don't believe the Government when 'they say 'they're here to help you'

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Get your oats more!
    Yes but keep it covered up and don't ditch the girl who was madly in love with me and made it big in banking.

It will all be alright.
    You are probably better off not taking Acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Tune into the Moody Blues, timeless music. Educate yourself by travelling, or getting a job where you do travel. Do everything in moderation.
    Spedger
    I think we're cut from the same cloth Spedger !

16 is probably a bit young for advice. We all got it. Very few of us heeded it. My old man told me to join the army. He even took me to the recruiting office on St Mary's street. He may have been bullshitting and probably was. But he couldn't have stopped me from joining if I wanted to. And then I could have been off to the Falklands.

Try to see beyond the here and now? Good advice. But I would have laughed that off. "I just want to see Siouxsie and the Banshees tonight, I don't care if I die tomorrow!"

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Wish I had children when I was younger! Nothing else really.

Left school at 16 in 1964 as soon as I could - hated it! 6 GCE's including Scripture and Art. BUT, times were prosperous and saw an advert in the local echo for Midland Bank...applied and spent twelve years there (passing all Part 1 and Part 2 of their exams).
    Married in 1970 then decided in 1976 that it wasn't what I wanted to do all my life (and in hindsight a good decision...). Went to Guildford College for an intensive three month course in Computer Programming, tough course - half dropped out. (so it's never too late to learn something new!)

Jobs came easily BUT we were more intent on building a good home - my wife also had a very good job, and somehow we never got around to it. I ended up as a Business Director for a Software company in London dealing with high profile clients - supermarkets, banks, Insurance companies.

Sadly she died very suddenly in 2011 after over 40 years marriage. Few years later I married a girl from Thailand and we are blessed with two wonderful sons aged 9 and 3! Keeps me young and it's good i/we have all the time to be with them, guide them, look after them. Although long retired I still design websites more for enjoyment than anything else.

Save, buy property, buy bitcoin early, keep away from certain people, don't wait until you're 40 to get a master degree, live abroad in your 20's, spend more time with your parents and family, write more, read more.. health wise, no advice.. I've never smoked or drink too much and always kept very fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Wish I had children when I was younger! Nothing else really.

Left school at 16 in 1964 as soon as I could - hated it! 6 GCE's including Scripture and Art. BUT, times were prosperous and saw an advert in the local echo for Midland Bank...applied and spent twelve years there (passing all Part 1 and Part 2 of their exams).
    Married in 1970 then decided in 1976 that it wasn't what I wanted to do all my life (and in hindsight a good decision...). Went to Guildford College for an intensive three month course in Computer Programming, tough course - half dropped out. (so it's never too late to learn something new!)

Jobs came easily BUT we were more intent on building a good home - my wife also had a very good job, and somehow we never got around to it. I ended up as a Business Director for a Software company in London dealing with high profile clients - supermarkets, banks, Insurance companies.

Sadly she died very suddenly in 2011 after over 40 years marriage. Few years later I married a girl from Thailand and we are blessed with two wonderful sons aged 9 and 3! Keeps me young and it's good i/we have all the time to be with them, guide them, look after them. Although long retired I still design websites more for enjoyment than anything else.
    Sorry to hear about your wife mate but so glad you’ve found happiness again

International

Don't go
    Go in forty years instead

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Save, buy property, buy bitcoin early, keep away from certain people, don't wait until you're 40 to get a master degree, live abroad in your 20's, spend more time with your parents and family, write more, read more.. health wise, no advice.. I've never smoked or drink too much and always kept very fit.
    Don't be fooled into believing money is what it is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    When the time is right ...yes..but i'm sure that you , just like me know someone that has a kid with someone that wasn't meant to be. The kid is shared between two homes, the parents are at each others throats for every single mistake they make...wear a fekkin condom until you are 100% sure they are the love of your life.

I copied this from somewhere, but it encapsulates what I try to focus on in recent years:
    "Mindfulness is about being focused on the present moment, not wrapped up in regrets, worries or frantic thoughts. When we practise mindfulness we can calm our mind and this allows us to see more clearly what brings us happiness and what causes us suffering.
    With this awareness, we can make positive choices in everyday life."

This zen attitude is virtually impossible to do when you are young, and if I were sixteen and heard this from an old fogey (like me now), I would have dismissed it out of hand, because an "I Me Mine" attitude is an important part of growing up and finding your own way.

Look into something like 10 zen, and you will find things in there that are seemingly impossible to do, but if you can focus on the present moment and let any negative thoughts pass by that is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    I copied this from somewhere, but it encapsulates what I try to focus on in recent years:
    "Mindfulness is about being focused on the present moment, not wrapped up in regrets, worries or frantic thoughts. When we practise mindfulness we can calm our mind and this allows us to see more clearly what brings us happiness and what causes us suffering.
    With this awareness, we can make positive choices in everyday life."

This zen attitude is virtually impossible to do when you are young, and if I were sixteen and heard this from an old fogey (like me now), I would have dismissed it out of hand, because an "I Me Mine" attitude is an important part of growing up and finding your own way.

Look into something like 10 zen, and you will find things in there that are seemingly impossible to do, but if you can focus on the present moment and let any negative thoughts pass by that is a good start.
    I really like this. It’s something that resonates. Best advice I’ve read anywhere today and timely tbh. Thanks 👍

All I can say is, I had an issue and it began to dominate my thoughts in a negative way.

The hardest part for me was to let go of the negative thoughts of the past. I would say that for me, that was the hardest part of the process, but I had to do it. It was difficult, but once done the rest began to make sense.

I hope everything works out for you

EDIT... I meant to reply to Citizens Nephew