+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Excellent Muhammad Ali documentary series.

Excellent Muhammad Ali documentary series.

Eight episodes, so it’s a very thorough look into a truly remarkable man - well worth a watch on BBC I-player.

Re: Excellent Muhammad Ali documentary series.

I've watched the first 4 episodes so far. At his peak his boxing skills were at a level above anybody else that I can recall. Class fighters like Terrell, Williams and Folley could barely lay a glove on him. Quite breathtaking. As for Sonny Liston...

It’s on BBC 2 on a Sunday night

It is an interesting series but by no means "thorough" in it's approach, e.g. ep1 avoided all reference to the well publicised racist attitudes faced despite him being the USAs Olympic Champion, similarly ep2 made no mention of the infamous "split glove" incident after he was knocked down by Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    I've watched the first 4 episodes so far. At his peak his boxing skills were at a level above anybody else that I can recall. Class fighters like Terrell, Williams and Folley could barely lay a glove on him. Quite breathtaking. As for Sonny Liston...
    Yes, it’s a reminder of just how brilliant he was before his ban.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    It is an interesting series but by no means "thorough" in it's approach, e.g. ep1 avoided all reference to the well publicised racist attitudes faced despite him being the USAs Olympic Champion, similarly ep2 made no mention of the infamous "split glove" incident after he was knocked down by Cooper.
    Yes, I was surprised at that and commented on it as I watched it, but there’s plenty of action from those early fights and things like the Louisville syndicate are covered well. Eight episodes of an hour or more means it can be a much more detailed study than others I’ve seen, but he was such an incredible man that even that isn’t enough really to cover all of things that made him what he was.

I've always liked this clip about racists.

https://youtu.be/lRHoh8bH3BQ

The split glove story really was a complete non event. Exaggerated by Henry over the years as well and a big delay one of boxing big myths. Even heard it gave the then Cassius Clay a couple of minutes.

The reality. Dundee says Clays glove is split. The ref confirms no spare gloves with someone at ringside and says fight on. The delay was 6 seconds. Clay came out and hammered Cooper from the restart. The 6 seconds wouldnt have made any real difference.

Good story on the after dinner circuit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The split glove story really was a complete non event. Exaggerated by Henry over the years as well and a big delay one of boxing big myths. Even heard it gave the then Cassius Clay a couple of minutes.

The reality. Dundee says Clays glove is split. The ref confirms no spare gloves with someone at ringside and says fight on. The delay was 6 seconds. Clay came out and hammered Cooper from the restart. The 6 seconds wouldnt have made any real difference.

Good story on the after dinner circuit though.
    Exactly that, hardly any delay. Poor old ‘Enery looked as though he’d gone through a windscreen in round five.,