+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20MPH speed limits North Cardiff

International

20MPH speed limits North Cardiff

How are you supposed to drive at 20mph from the manor way Whitchurch Golf Course to the Deri Pub, through 2 speed cameras and mixed signs some saying 30mph some saying 20mph?

I can understand small roads especially where people are double parked, and close to schools but roads of this size and it just doesn't make sense, the cars struggle to go that slow?

Obviously this is the trial area for the rest of Wales, wait till you try and drive that slow on decent wide safe roads.

Re: 20MPH speed limits North Cardiff

no car I've ever driven would struggle to keep it to 20mph, if they were being driven properly

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    no car I've ever driven would struggle to keep it to 20mph, if they were being driven properly
    Yes maybe the wrong wording, it feels uncomfortable and way to slow in automatic 2 litres, it's probably in 2nd gear maybe 3rd, I doubt its much good for cars to trundle around at that speed?

A road like that doesn't require such a low speed in a modern car with decent brakes, it's not a dangerous road.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes maybe the wrong wording, it feels uncomfortable and way to slow in automatic 2 litres, it's probably in 2nd gear maybe 3rd, I doubt its much good for cars to trundle around at that speed?

A road like that doesn't require such a low speed in a modern car with decent brakes, it's not a dangerous road.
    yes it feels slow, but that's a driver issue, not a car issue I'd say.
    I guess it wouldn't be good to do a long distance at that speed, but most of the 20mph zones are just residential areas that you'd be unlikely to drive a long way in

How are you supposed to drive at 20mph from the manor way Whitchurch Golf Course to the Deri Pub, through 2 speed cameras and mixed signs some saying 30mph some saying 20mph?

I can understand small roads especially where people are double parked, and close to schools but roads of this size and it just doesn't make sense, the cars struggle to go that slow?

Obviously this is the trial area for the rest of Wales, wait till you try and drive that slow on decent wide safe roads.
    They covered the 30 signs with black bags 2 weeks ago. Either someone removed them, or the weather got to them.

Totally unenforceable at the moment

my suggestion as that you sell your car and buy something like a 900cc that struggles at 50mph in top gear

Noticed the 20mph speed limit going past Thornhill Crem going into Llanishen. Ridiculous having 20mph there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Noticed the 20mph speed limit going past Thornhill Crem going into Llanishen. Ridiculous having 20mph there.
    not with the size of the speed bump they've put along there it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    not with the size of the speed bump they've put along there it isn't
    Past the speed bumps. Think it’s 20mph by the sainsburys/greggs, going towards the Morrison roundabout.

Its the same from Morganstown (Pugh's Garden Centre) to Radyr, 20mph. Absolute joke

If I honest I am finding quite calming . Sadly Electric bikes ,scooters and wheelchairs are whizzing.

Get use to it because it’s here to stay, my boy passed his test in January in NW London and he’d never got out of 2nd gear through most of his learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Get use to it because it’s here to stay, my boy passed his test in January in NW London and he’d never got out of 2nd gear through most of his learning.
    A lad I work with said it took him hour and 20 minutes to drive about 3 miles in London a few weeks back. **** driving right in the centre of London!

It's all bollocks and completely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    People do 50 on the 70 part if the a470. There will be plenty doing 15mph in the 20 "just to be sure".

If your car has adaptive cruise control it's much easier.

I wouldn't buy one without now as it's so hard to stick to 20mph whilst paying full attention to the road

What's behind all this? Tree huggers?

When I moved out of Cardiff 20+ years ago, the speed limit on the road past the BBC was 40. It is now 20, even though far fewer people are crossing that road and cars are far better at stopping

I live on a normal suburban residential street in England where the speed limit is 30.

Both places have it wrong. It should be 30 in Llandaff, and 20 on any purely residential street.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Its the same from Morganstown (Pugh's Garden Centre) to Radyr, 20mph. Absolute joke
    Serious? Up that hill with no houses!?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    When I moved out of Cardiff 20+ years ago, the speed limit on the road past the BBC was 40. It is now 20, even though far fewer people are crossing that road and cars are far better at stopping

I live on a normal suburban residential street in England where the speed limit is 30.

Both places have it wrong. It should be 30 in Llandaff, and 20 on any purely residential street.
    I actually failed my first driving test in 1987, for doing 30mph past the BBC studios. Didn’t realise it was 40. I’d be speeding doing 30 there now. It’s a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Serious? Up that hill with no houses!?
    I think the 20 mph starts just after going under the M4 but, as stated it is 20 mph all the way along Heol Isaf as far as Llantrisant Road with a speed camera outside Radar Comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    I actually failed my first driving test in 1987, for doing 30mph past the BBC studios. Didn’t realise it was 40. I’d be speeding doing 30 there now. It’s a joke!
    Stupid question, but failed for going too slowly?!

I don't live In cardiff any more so my view isn't affected by NIMBYism, but good lord have they Ballsed it up over the last twenty years. What the **** is going on towards pentyrch? Llandaff is already a bottleneck (even before the absolutely bollocks 20mph) and I can't see any new roads in the plan. How are those people getting to work?!

I took a train from Cardiff to radyr recently, it was a single carriage. Seats for 50 people max. I'm all for getting cars off the roads and Cardiff has a pretty decent rail infrastructure to allow it, but **** me are they making it hard. Build the capacity on public transport first. Don't force them out of their cars and deal with the aftermath.

The planners have some great tools at their disposal but the plans they have are incoherent.

EDIT: I say this as my local train line services some pretty tiny villages. Minimum 4 carriages. If I lived in Cardiff, the train line would be my ideal way of getting to work so ffs put some capacity on it.

As a CF14 resident it's the right thing to do , the area is flooded with cars and most families have one or two , there is a lot of pedestrians , cyclists , schools , shops , public transport and other amenities due to the areas popularity. The council have introduced road narrowing , humps etc., nothing stops folk speeding and putting people at risk so here we are at 20mph limit with folk speeding anyway. Some good news you still lick along past the BBC at 40mph around 3am in the morning, not sure what it be like after the new house build so get over in yer Ford Capri's while you can actually drive a car through CF14 as our car travel days are numbered ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Exactly

International

Quote Originally Posted by Philo2 View Post
    If your car has adaptive cruise control it's much easier.

I wouldn't buy one without now as it's so hard to stick to 20mph whilst paying full attention to the road
    Problem is as people are saying above, the oldies and nervous are starting to do 15 to be on the safe side so your cruise will have to drop to 15!