+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nations League

Nations League

The Dutch ripping Belgium apart and the boy Cornelius comes good.

Re: Nations League

Make that the boy Cornelius comes good x 2!

Cornelius? Must be the Monkey Pox!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Make that the boy Cornelius comes good x 2!
    ... off the bench! France 1-2 Denmark full time

I don’t know why people judged him so quickly, Malky said he was a long term project which obviously we needed having just been promoted. 8 years on and he’s showing he’s not far off what we paid for him.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I don’t know why people judged him so quickly, Malky said he was a long term project which obviously we needed having just been promoted. 8 years on and he’s showing he’s not far off what we paid for him.
    If only we had Bacuna's agent around then we would have been quids in!

I’ll admit I’m still not quite 100% on the Nations League. Is there any disadvantage to us purposefully getting relegated so we have a much better chance of winning our League B group and getting an automatic play off spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I’ll admit I’m still not quite 100% on the Nations League. Is there any disadvantage to us purposefully getting relegated so we have a much better chance of winning our League B group and getting an automatic play off spot?
    None at all. We're probably best off being relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Easier to get a play off spot in the a league as most a league teams qualify automatically

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Easier to get a play off spot in the a league as most a league teams qualify automatically
    In which case my previous comment was bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In which case my previous comment was bollocks.
    Not so sure. My reading of it is that being in the top league this time guarantees at least a play off slot for 2024 if we are not in the top 2 of our group unless the other top teams woefully underperform. Basically the 12 best ranked Nations League teams that don't qualify automatically go into a play off for three remaining spots.

If we get relegated then we will be in an inferior position for a play off place for the 2026 World Cup (ie we are currently ranked 13th and the best that we could get if we were relegated was 17th).

As a league a nations league side it guarantees you a play off for the next tournament i believe?

One can't help thinking that the confusion about how the Nations League doesn't help.

It's also bullshit that we had to play a Nations League game in the same week as a World Cup game. I didn't even realise the Poland game wasn't a friendly until yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The Dutch ripping Belgium apart and the boy Cornelius comes good.
    I'm actually surprised that Cornelius doesn't have his own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    One can't help thinking that the confusion about how the Nations League doesn't help.
    I think I missed out a word there but it was early morning

Are we seeing the end of a great era for Belgium and Croatia, who lost 3-0 at home to Austria? Two sides who have got old together?