+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Own goals

Own goals

Is it me? Or does it seem like there are way more own goals than there used to be? When I think back, it seems like they were more of a rarity in the '70S and '80s?

Re: Own goals

I think stats and analysis are way more particular now, would our Cup Final winner be credited to Ferguson nowadays?

I think it's down to the style of play and a lighter football.
    I think we see more crosses and long shots these days, which take deflections, than we used to.
    I have read aswell that Tottenham's third highest scorer this season was own goals with 10.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think it's down to the style of play and a lighter football.
    I think we see more crosses and long shots these days, which take deflections, than we used to.
    I have read aswell that Tottenham's third highest scorer this season was own goals with 10.
    No, we see less long shots and less high crosses.

Most teams are focussed on box entries and maximising xG

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think stats and analysis are way more particular now, would our Cup Final winner be credited to Ferguson nowadays?
    Exactly this.

I remember reading an article from the early 2000 where it said that in italy they were a lot more strict about awarding goals, and pretty much any kind of deflection that took the ball in they would give an own goal.
    Over here the commentators were always like "the striker is going to claim it - well the defender isn't going to want it hahaha" which is just bullshit. I think these days they're a lot more exacting over who gets the goal.

I guess with greater TV analysis and the rise in online betting etc, it matters more to correctly attribute it as an own goal if it is such, whereas before probably all sides would have been content with it being scored by the opposition.

What is more shocking is that I come across people who call them 'home goals'

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I guess with greater TV analysis and the rise in online betting etc, it matters more to correctly attribute it as an own goal if it is such, whereas before probably all sides would have been content with it being scored by the opposition.

What is more shocking is that I come across people who call them 'home goals'
    I think you’re right - what constitutes an own goal is probably different now to what it was in, say, the 70s and 80s.

Best one that I have ever seen - easy, Jason Bowen at Ninian Park in late 90’s, early 2000’s. Curled it into his own net beautifully from about 30 yards, with a back pass from the bob bank touchline. Goalie had come forward to the edge of the box calling for it. Dribbled over the line into the far corner with the goalie desperately trying to scramble back. Cant remember who it was against unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Best one that I have ever seen - easy, Jason Bowen at Ninian Park in late 90’s, early 2000’s. Curled it into his own net beautifully from about 30 yards, with a back pass from the bob bank touchline. Goalie had come forward to the edge of the box calling for it. Dribbled over the line into the far corner with the goalie desperately trying to scramble back. Cant remember who it was against unfortunately.
    Think it was a cup match v Crewe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Think it was a cup match v Crewe.
    6th Jan 2001, finished 1-1

Good grief, something I agree with you on, it was a thing of beauty.

Mark Walton was the goalkeeper - very much a Made in Merthyr cock up.

What made me ask was the Italian one from yesterday. It seems you see a lot more defenders going for balls like that and actually putting it into their own net.

As own goals go it was pure quality, although I didn't think so at the time ! A drawn FA Cup game against Crewe in which we got beat 2-1 in the replay.

I was in the grandstand that day. it was from the Bob Bank into the Canton Stand end right?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What made me ask was the Italian one from yesterday. It seems you see a lot more defenders going for balls like that and actually putting it into their own net.
    perhaps is there are more players in the box, so it's more likely that a defender will feel as though he has to deal with the ball rather than just let it go

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was in the grandstand that day. it was from the Bob Bank into the Canton Stand end right?
    Yes. I was right behind it. Seemed to be in slow motion but he bent it expertly round the goalie who was flapping like a windmill as it went in, chasing it. Its not very often you see a 30 yard own goal.

Yes. I was right behind it. Seemed to be in slow motion but he bent it expertly round the goalie who was flapping like a windmill as it went in, chasing it. Its not very often you see a 30 yard own goal.
    I was in the lower Bob Bank myself. You're right, it seemed like it was in slow motion. The ball just seemed to be at a constant speed throughout and didn't decelerate as you'd expect until it was too late.