+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legends of Welsh sport - Steve Robinson

Legends of Welsh sport - Steve Robinson

Anyone watch it earlier?

48 hours notice to fight for a world title, needing to lose seven pounds into the bargain.

Won it and defended it seven times, eventually losing to "Prince" Naseem Hamed.
    Incredible story.

Seems a top bloke.
    Anyone know him?

Re: Legends of Welsh sport - Steve Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Anyone watch it earlier?

48 hours notice to fight for a world title, needing to lose seven pounds into the bargain.

Incredible story.

Seems a top bloke.
    Anyone know him?
    Being an Ely boy myself, i’ve spoken to him, but i wouldn’t say i know him well. Very humble guy.

Incredible story in the true sense of the word ‘incredible’. Welsh sports legend.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Being an Ely boy myself, i’ve spoken to him, but i wouldn’t say i know him well. Very humble guy.
    Yeah, that's the way he always came across in his interviews.

I seem to remember that although he did pretty well out of boxing he didn't make mega bucks like some.

Still lives in Cardiff I see.

Top Welsh legend, undervalued in my book when folk talk about Welsh sporting greats .

Yeah, that's the way he always came across in his interviews.

I seem to remember that although he did pretty well out of boxing he didn't make mega bucks like some.

Still lives in Cardiff I see.
    I think like many sports, the top performers make millions. The fact that Steve was world champion, and defended it as you said 7 times, he should have raked in a fortune. If he didn’t, then that’s very bad management, and a travesty.

Great programme. As others have said he should have made a lot more money.
    Thought the programme could have followed on though with more about his time as world champion, not just the build up to him winning it initially.

I remember years ago, his father, who was a taxi driver at the time, picked me up in St Mary's Street.
    It was in the early hours of the morning and I asked him to take me to the top of Rumney hill.
    I knew I didn't have enough money on me, but there were 3 banks that I could use my debit card in their ATMs.
    Just my luck, all three were temporarily out of service!
    He was fine about it though, proceeded to drop me off at my flat and I arranged the payment with him a few days later.
    (I had reoccurring images of his son knocking on my door!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I remember years ago, his father, who was a taxi driver at the time, picked me up in St Mary's Street.
    It was in the early hours of the morning and I asked him to take me to the top of Rumney hill.
    I knew I didn't have enough money on me, but there were 3 banks that I could use my debit card in their ATMs.
    Just my luck, all three were temporarily out of service!
    He was fine about it though, proceeded to drop me off at my flat and I arranged the payment with him a few days later.
    (I had reoccurring images of his son knocking on my door!)
    My dad was a taxi driver and friends with Steve's dad , he had leant my dad a video of some of Steve's fights prior to the world title chance.
    We were made up when he took that chance.
    I used to watch some of his bouts, he fought a few in the Cardiff ice rink.
    The night he got beaten at the arms park I was in Ireland at a wedding but managed to watch it on a telly in the bar there.
    Very humble likable man.

Legend - 17 losses

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Legend - 17 losses

I know what you mean but as the programme alluded to, he boxed to put food on the table, proper old school boxing story.

Barry Hearn recalled him taking fights he was not in shape for. Also how "dodgy" judges decisions were at his fights.

The fact he lost 17 fights makes it an even more incredible story.
    He was drafted in as a card filler and went home world champion.

Tris Dixon has some fantastic interviews with a good number of Boxers.

Here is Steve's.

https://youtu.be/A6Ngjt6b790

After he came world champion he came out on the pitch at ninian Park

Anyone remember it ?

I think he went into fitness training ?

Ronnie Rush was his trainer ?

He's passed away I think 🤔

Ronnie Rush used to be a doorman in the old Caerphilly Castle pub/nightclub lovely bloke had time for everyone

Just googled Steve Robinson (I know very well who he is just wanted to see how many fights he'd had)

https://www.google.com/search?q=stev...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I don't think that's Steve Robinson

Welsh Nationalist as well by the looks of it, he's a member of the Welsh National Party according to his wiki

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Welsh Nationalist as well by the looks of it, he's a member of the Welsh National Party according to his wiki
    I think that's now Mcevoy's Propel since they got legally excluded from using that title!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think that's now Mcevoy's Propel since they got legally excluded from using that title!
    Christ he's behind that is he ?

Does he still follow Cardiff ?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Just googled Steve Robinson (I know very well who he is just wanted to see how many fights he'd had)

https://www.google.com/search?q=stev...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I don't think that's Steve Robinson
    Talk about re-inventing yourself

Anyone watch it earlier?

Incredible story.

Seems a top bloke.
    Anyone know him?
    I worked with him in Debenhams. Didn't know him that well but he was a nice enough chap. Obviously followed his career closely from then on. He wasn't managed well and agreed to fights when he shouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by El Horno View Post
    I worked with him in Debenhams. Didn't know him that well but he was a nice enough chap. Obviously followed his career closely from then on. He wasn't managed well and agreed to fights when he shouldn't have.
    There's a really good piece about the Naz fight here https://www.esbrboxing.com/post/stev...ather-like-son where he talks about him not having enough time to prepare. I'm pretty sure I saw one of Robinson's defences at the Motorpoint but it's a bit hazy. I have some vague recollection of Lennox Lewis showing up there too on the night.

I used to go to a lot of boxing in Cardiff in the 90s so I can't remember exactly where I first saw Naz fight but I think it was for a Nicky Piper title fight at the Motorpoint and Naz was on the undercard. I had ringside that night but remember being really impressed and he was amazing to watch at that time. I never fancied Robinson against him. I think Steve Robinson lost about half a dozen fights after that before calling a day. There used to be a lot of boxing down at Sophia Gardens back then too, don't know if that's still the case? I haven't followed boxing for years now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    There's a really good piece about the Naz fight here https://www.esbrboxing.com/post/stev...ather-like-son where he talks about him not having enough time to prepare. I'm pretty sure I saw one of Robinson's defences at the Motorpoint but it's a bit hazy. I have some vague recollection of Lennox Lewis showing up there too on the night.

I used to go to a lot of boxing in Cardiff in the 90s so I can't remember exactly where I first saw Naz fight but I think it was for a Nicky Piper title fight at the Motorpoint and Naz was on the undercard. I had ringside that night but remember being really impressed and he was amazing to watch at that time. I never fancied Robinson against him. I think Steve Robinson lost about half a dozen fights after that before calling a day. There used to be a lot of boxing down at Sophia Gardens back then too, don't know if that's still the case? I haven't followed boxing for years now though.
    The Naz fight in Cardiff on a Piper card was I believe at Cardiff Ice Rink.

I was there that night. Im not certain but I dont think Naz was classed as the undercard as he was already a big name. I knew me and my mates who went to a lot of fights in the 90s the big fight was seeing Naz as Piper was a fighter on the slide.

Piper had already by this time lost to Benn and Barber and the night in question he was fighting Crawford Ashley for the Commonwealth light heavyweight title. Ashley had Piper in deep trouble late on and sealed a points win.

Naz was on later in the evening and delivered a big knockout.

I knew Robinson would have no chance. There was a huge gulf in class.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The Naz fight in Cardiff on a Piper card was I believe at Cardiff Ice Rink.

I was there that night. Im not certain but I dont think Naz was classed as the undercard as he was already a big name. I knew me and my mates who went to a lot of fights in the 90s the big fight was seeing Naz as Piper was a fighter on the slide.

Piper had already by this time lost to Benn and Barber and the night in question he was fighting Crawford Ashley for the Commonwealth light heavyweight title. Ashley had Piper in deep trouble late on and sealed a points win.

Naz was on later in the evening and delivered a big knockout.

I knew Robinson would have no chance. There was a huge gulf in class.
    OK, I'm getting all the fights and locations mixed up. The Piper fight I do remember it was against Barber in Cardiff and he was KO'd and have either forgotten or didn't know (or both) that he fought after that. I quite liked Piper as a pundit. I thought it was the same night but as I said, it's all a blur. Did you ever go to Sophia Gardens back then? Barry Hearn used to be involved. I liked it because it was proper old school atmosphere. It was never packed. Always felt a bit edgy and shady.

I used to get Boxing News (it was still like an old tabloid in style in the 90s) and Naz took out a full page ad in it ages before anyone had heard of him with his picture and something along the lines of 'I'll fight anyone, anytime, any place'. I was a right cocky so-and-so.

Clearly a Freudian slip....he was a right cocky so-and-so!!

I was at the fight at Cardiff Arms Park.
    I hate how Naz taunted Robinson.
    Such a spiteful bloke...Couldn't stand him from then on.

His loss to MAB is one of my favourite moments in boxing.