+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James Webb telescope

James Webb telescope

The first pictures have just been published:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62122859

Absolutely stunning. The distances involved are mind-boggling.

Re: James Webb telescope

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    The first pictures have just been published:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62122859

Absolutely stunning. The distances involved are mind-boggling.
    Such things should make us realise how incredibly parochial we are, living on just one of the trillion planets in our universe - and it's estimated that there are trillions of galaxies in the universe.

Space isn't really my thing - once you realise how vast the distances are, it is hard to comprehend it all. And also, I'll never go there. I don't even really know whats bigger -a galaxy? A universe? What's the milky way? How does that fit in?

Is there a useful kind of map or chart that visually demonstrates all these things to highlight what TBG and Gofer rightly say above about how small and insignificant etc we are?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Space isn't really my thing - once you realise how vast the distances are, it is hard to comprehend it all. And also, I'll never go there. I don't even really know whats bigger -a galaxy? A universe? What's the milky way? How does that fit in?

Is there a useful kind of map or chart that visually demonstrates all these things to highlight what TBG and Gofer rightly say above about how small and insignificant etc we are?
    You don't know if a galaxy or a universe is bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Nope. I'd guess universe?

As a young kid, I used to imagine sitting on the moon and looking at Earth and knowing that people had different languages, customs and religions depending on when and where they were born on this planet. That attempt at an overview has never left me but I didn't have any concept of just how tiny our speck of dust is in respect of the firmament as a whole - and let's not imagine that this speck of dust will be habitable ad infinitum.

There was a clue: "and it's estimated that there are trillions of galaxies in the universe."

Would suggest starting here (and especially the last line):
    https://youtu.be/buqtdpuZxvk

do you mean metric or imperial galaxies?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Such things should make us realise how incredibly parochial we are, living on just one of the trillion planets in our universe - and it's estimated that there are trillions of galaxies in the universe.
    Some studies suggest there's likely to be at least a septillion stars in the universe, let alone planets which would on average raise the figure by a billion or two! So it's quite possible there may be at least 10^27 planets in the visible universe. Of course the other parts of the universe we can never see will contain an awful lot more. This is the chief reason I don't believe in the Rare Earth hypothesis.

There was a clue: "and it's estimated that there are trillions of galaxies in the universe."
    I missed that bit cos my brain just processed it as someone rabbiting on about space again.. which is probably how I got in this mess.

I enjoyed the film gravity and made lego space ships as a kid but thats as far as I get with space.

I missed that bit cos my brain just processed it as someone rabbiting on about space again.. which is probably how I got in this mess.

I enjoyed the film gravity and made lego space ships as a kid but thats as far as I get with space.
    Saw this the other day, which was a bit of an eyeopener

https://www.tiktok.com/@flamingo6686...=1657629470646

You cannot be Sirius!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    To be fair, Cadbury never made a 'Universe' chocolate bar so it's impossible to compare really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    To be fair, Cadbury never made a 'Universe' chocolate bar so it's impossible to compare really.
    So your general knowledge about space is limited to confectionary!? I give you Mars, Milky Way and Toblerone (spot the odd one out).

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    So your general knowledge about space is limited to confectionary!? I give you Mars, Milky Way and Toblerone (spot the odd one out).
    Toblerone? It's not in the Aero?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Toblerone? It's not in the Aero?
    Definitely in the right Orbit but I'd say you'd have to throw Starburst into the Starmix too.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 12-07-22 at 13:41. Reason: Spiooling

Something you aren’t an expert in or have an opinion on.

Never thought I’d see the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Definitely in the right Orbit but I'd say you'd have to throw Starburst into the Starmix too.
    Ha ha, you're beating me. I've given up eating sweets now in an effort to lose weight lol. I don't want to be totally weightless though. That might be a massive mistake.

The University of Leicester has scored another hit - first inventing DNA and now this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The University of Leicester has scored another hit - first inventing DNA and now this.
    They invented DNA?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Something you aren’t an expert in or have an opinion on.

Never thought I’d see the day!
    Screenshot this page

Screenshot this page
    It's my new desktop wallpaper!

They invented DNA?
    I think you must know what I meant but, as you probably know, genetic fingerprinting is the correct term.