as people are giving life examples, here is mine

I was working as a carpenter for a builder in Barry, a top bloke, we got on well, he had a son a few years younger than me who was " training " to take over the day to day running of the company one day, the lad was also ok, I had always planned to work a little after I had done my HNC in building and go backpacking around the world, I worked for a few years and was ready to go ( it was no secret my plans, I was always honest with the boss ) when it was time for me to go, he was disappointed and said he " had hopes I would stay and forget the travelling plans " , I hadn't, so he then offered me a partnership in the building company, 33% of it if I stayed, of course this was very tempting, it really was, nice money, a decent job with decent blokes and a future in life, but the lure was huge to go backing packing, get out of the rave scene I was heavily into, drink loads of beer, meet girls and end up surfing the best breaks in Australia,

I bottled it, I went backpacking and did the irresponsible thing and didnt think about my future, honestly it was a blast, the best time of my life