+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Type 2 Diabetes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Type 2 Diabetes

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    See your doctor first to check on your blood levels

Go from there
    Yeah I’ll get it checked asap. Have an mot most years but not been for a few years. My diet is terrible and very high in sugar and carbs.

I’ll do some research on what type of thing to eat etc

Re: Type 2 Diabetes

It can be controlled by following a low carb diet. Unfortunately any reference to “diet” immediately has negative connotations. However a low carb diet of 100g of carbs per day is easily achievable but it needs effort i.e. food has to be weighed and a record kept, at least in the early days until you become familiar with portion sizes. There is no need to completely cut out all bread, rice, pasta and potatoes – this is where the weighing comes in and is critical. Obviously you need to know the % carb content of everything you eat in order to calculate the actual weight of carbs consumed. I made an alphabetical list of all the foods we usually have, together with the carb contents.

I believe there has to be some genetic/metabolic influence as well. For example my Hb1Ac reading was 42 and my wife's 48. We were both overweight so we stuck to a low carb diet (100g/day) for 6 months. At the end of the 6 months her Hb1Ac level had come down to 42 and mine had not changed at all (42)!