+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hugill Return??

Re: Hugill Return??

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    We need a Chopra, McCormack or aging Bellamy type, all thrree of them would be on four or five goals by now in this team!
    Really? We're created fewer chances than virtually all other Championship sides.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    To be fair to Etete we haven’t seen enough of him yet. All we can go on are people that have seen him and the general feeling among Spurs fans was that they were disappointed he went on a permanent and were very keen on a buy back clause. I also do t think he was signed as a starter - more a project.
    Yes we haven't seen enough of him, but when we're persisting with Watters and Harris ahead of him, then you have to consider why.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Really? We're created fewer chances than virtually all other Championship sides.
    Yes I think so, we misssed three yesterday, about five at Birmingham and there have chances in other games, they are not half chances they are missed easy chances.

Also don't forget if we take those chances we start to play with more confidence, as a result the other team have to chase the game and we would have had many more chances. Not taking our opportunities is killing us and costing us points.

Hugill returning would be such a boost. He fills a lot of gaps that arguably we've been missing up front. The ability to hold the ball up - a danger in the air, another target for set pieces, and I suspect someone who wouldn't be shy in letting teammates know what service he wants. We probably also lack a senior pro role-model for our other forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Can’t compare without watching the games but we have made a number of decent chances. Stats don’t always tell the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes I think so, we misssed three yesterday, about five at Birmingham and there have chances in other games, they are not half chances they are missed easy chances.

Also don't forget if we take those chances we start to play with more confidence, as a result the other team have to chase the game and we would have had many more chances. Not taking our opportunities is killing us and costing us points.
    There's 'chances' and there's 'chances which should have been take by a striker of reasonable standard'. Ours fall mainly into the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Hugill returning would be such a boost. He fills a lot of gaps that arguably we've been missing up front. The ability to hold the ball up - a danger in the air, another target for set pieces, and I suspect someone who wouldn't be shy in letting teammates know what service he wants. We probably also lack a senior pro role-model for our other forwards.

All good points, especially the one about holding up the ball. He was excellent at that, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I wonder ??
    It's a yes please from me, I'd love Haaland but not sure he'd be tempted right now. Hugill knows how to slam the ball in the back of the net, and even when he doesn't good stuff happens off him - far better than shoving Watters up front and hoping for the best, as much as I've wished for him that it would come good.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    It's a yes please from me, I'd love Haaland but not sure he'd be tempted right now. Hugill knows how to slam the ball in the back of the net, and even when he doesn't good stuff happens off him - far better than shoving Watters up front and hoping for the best, as much as I've wished for him that it would come good.
    Give Haaland an apartment down the Bay, he’d bite our hands off

Yes Hugill was good at holding the ball up which allows the team to get up the pitch. It’s not happening at the moment hence we see so few attacks in and around the opposition box

There was a move 1st half when some good play by Sawyers cutting inside he played the ball into Watters who barely moved. He clearly wanted him to play a 1st touch back to him but Watters just didnt read it and the attack broke down. You could see Sawyers frustration.

Hugill wasn't Jesus. We've all got selective memories. He'd be a welcome addition to the side though I do get that.

Meanwhile.....where's Isaak?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I can't believe Aguero has even been brought up in the conversation. Max Watters isn't even at Chris Pike or Carl Dale level yet.
    Either Carl Dale or Phil Stant would be an ideal fit here and they were both lower level stickers. There must be some about still??

International

Cardiff City transfer news Live: Updates as Norwich City striker Jordan Hugill's future shrouded in mystery

Cardiff City have nine days to solve their striker issue.

Manager Steve Morison has brought in 15 players this summer in a complete squad overhaul which has had promising signs so far.

The defeat to Bristol City, though, showed where the Bluebirds are lacking - namely in the final third. They created chances at Ashton Gate but couldn't convert them.

Former loan man Jordan Hugill could be available, with Norwich City manager Dean Smith unsure of what will happen with the forward come deadline day.

We'll have the latest Cardiff transfer gossip for you throughout the day.

Hugill latest
    We reported yesterday Dean Smith's quotes on Hugill's future in Norfolk, but for those who missed them, here they are.

"We're not looking to lose any players, that's for sure," he said, speaking ahead of Norwich's Carabao Cup tie with Bournemouth at Carrow Road this evening (Tuesday). "I said there might come a point in this window when players who are not playing might want to go elsewhere. We would assess that and decide whether it is the right thing to do for the football club. That’s the most important thing."

When asked specifically on Hugill's future, he added: "I don't know. Jordan [Hugill] will be available for the squad on Tuesday, he might go and score a hat-trick and all of a sudden he puts his name down and takes his opportunity. And that is what I want at this club."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-live-24828323

Hugill had his flaws, but he's exactly what we need right now. His strengths are Watters weaknesses. He shows well, he holds the ball up, and he knows how to buy a free kick when he's isolated. I'd definitely take him back.

Etete looks like he needs another season on loan. And for me Isaak Davies is far more effective as an inside forward cutting in, as opposed to an out-and-out number 9, although I'd still prefer him there to Watters and Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Hugill had his flaws, but he's exactly what we need right now. His strengths are Watters weaknesses. He shows well, he holds the ball up, and he knows how to buy a free kick when he's isolated. I'd definitely take him back.

Etete looks like he needs another season on loan. And for me Isaak Davies is far more effective as an inside forward cutting in, as opposed to an out-and-out number 9, although I'd still prefer him there to Watters and Harris.
    Good post 👍

Hugill puts Norwich 1-0 up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Good post 👍
    Yeah. Can’t argue with any of that. Etete’s a weird signing. Not the time to be taking on any more only to send them to another club. Now I’m in your corner re. Watters just watch him get a hat-trick against Preston! 🤣😝

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post

Spot on, though I do think Etete will come in handy at some point throughout the season (even if it's just because his spot on the bench means Watters and Harris don't get a sniff at the squad if we get another striker in!).

International

Hugill speaks on future

Norwich City striker Jordan Hugill admits he doesn't know what will happen this summer, amid ongoing speculation over his future.

Having spent the second half of last season on loan with the Bluebirds, there's been some speculation that Cardiff might well be tempted to bring him back to the capital this summer, particularly with game time at Norwich seemingly at a premium.

And speaking to the Eastern Daily Press, Hugill himself admits he isn't sure what the future holds.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen," he said after netting for the Canaries in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday night.

“Ultimately I’m here, and I’m keeping my head down and working hard to be ready for the chances that are given to me. Hopefully, I’ve done that.”

International

I'm starting to think he will be coming, he's a good player, very hard working with a good attitude and he's better than what we have.

Looking unlikely alleged 25k a week ? Got subbed after 69, player who came on scored as well ...

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Looking unlikely alleged 25k a week ?
    Good point- realistically, if that figure is true, based on our wage structure this season, we wouldn't be able to pay more than 40-50% of his wages, and you've got to think there are other sides in this division who would be willing and able to pay more than that share.

He will have been on the same money last season so maybe a loan isn't out of the question again.
    I suspect too his next permanent move might mean a drop in wages as his contract was signed with Norwich while they were in the top flight.