+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Too much Gas

Re: Gas Price

If we'd built the Severn barrage that would have had a major effect on renewable sources of energy, but it keeps getting squashed whenever its raised as an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    If we'd built the Severn barrage that would have had a major effect on renewable sources of energy, but it keeps getting squashed whenever its raised as an idea.
    tidal power is so obvious it beggars belief that we dither and don't just get on with it. with massive tides in the Severn estuary there's a lot of energy to be had and unlike wind the tide is there constantly unless the moon sods off.

this government needs a boot up the rear and frankly most politicians wouldn't get employment in private industry as they bring nothing but hot air.

It's almost like you are trying to sort out our striker problem and the gas energy problem at the same time.

Imagine if it was like the old days, you’d need a low loader for the bob bits after doing your gas & electric meters.

Yep. The environmentalists have a lot to answer for. Birds seem to be their priority. They also scuppered the scheme to deal with the appalling M4 traffic problems around Newport. I had some minor involvement on work relating to the Barrage as far back as 1970 but now the scheme, despite efforts to revive it, seems dead in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It won't. The prices now, and more pertinently those in the spring, are not blips but unpleasant consequences of idiotic inaction and actions by politicians - especially here in the UK. I suspect the 'govt'. is stalling from action on this because it could mean having to support families and small businesses for years to come..
    ...and the electorate.

Shell energy rang me and asked if I'd like a smart meter?I said how I how smart is it,Will it bypass the meter ?

The government has a moral duty to look after people disproportionately hit by this fuel crisis

To see sunak and the other idiots scrapping like ferrets in a plastic bag over who will do most is embarrassing

If it takes several years of propping up those in greatest need then that must be done as it was with furlough .

No questions , get on with it .

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    ...and the electorate.
    There's me thinking it was largely to do with the war in Ukraine and its effect on international prices. Isn't that why every country in Europe are likely to suffer identical issues to us? In fact we are in a better position than most countries. There have been various interventions here and overseas but they are all sticking plasters which will not affect outcomes to any great extent Less supply increases demand causes a rise in prices - at least that is what I was taught in economics.

It will happen one day, reckon it will be about 2050…..knowing the uk governments

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It will happen one day, reckon it will be about 2050…..knowing the uk governments
    ..within budget, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The government has a moral duty to look after people disproportionately hit by this fuel crisis

To see sunak and the other idiots scrapping like ferrets in a plastic bag over who will do most is embarrassing

If it takes several years of propping up those in greatest need then that must be done as it was with furlough .

No questions , get on with it .
    you crack me up

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Yep. The environmentalists have a lot to answer for. Birds seem to be their priority. They also scuppered the scheme to deal with the appalling M4 traffic problems around Newport. I had some minor involvement on work relating to the Barrage as far back as 1970 but now the scheme, despite efforts to revive it, seems dead in the water.
    I'm not against protecting the Environment but sometimes these tree huggers need to get real and see the big picture.

Were we in France the barrage would be up and running. Viva la Republic!

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think you are letting the conclusion you desire cloud your judgement.

UK has a greater range of energy mix than many, use more renewables than most and we pretty much lead the world in off-shore wind (I think China just overtook us).

The issue is almost wholly the rise in global gas prices (and most covid bounceback in demand); As of today, wholesale prices 400% higher than a year ago in Britain, what Europe generally buys is 550% (!!) higher than a year ago.

Unfortunately gas still provides 40% of our electricity generation, so there is little we can do in terms of the cost.
    https://grid.iamkate.com/

Governments can of course offer varying degrees of support to mitigate the cost but thats a different question I think.
    What point(s) in my post do you disagree with?

What "conclusion" do I desire?

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I don't understand why we've been so reliant on foreign energy sources, how no government has tackled this over the past 30 years I'll never know.
    Because NIMBYs are the most powerful force in British politics. They're up in arms wherever the government decides to build a new nuclear power station or wind farm. The Lib Dems were able to overturn a Conservative majority of 16,000 in Chesham and Amersham by opposing HS2 and planning reform. No government would survive upsetting NIMBYs all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Because NIMBYs are the most powerful force in British politics. They're up in arms wherever the government decides to build a new nuclear power station or wind farm. The Lib Dems were able to overturn a Conservative majority of 16,000 in Chesham and Amersham by opposing HS2 and planning reform. No government would survive upsetting NIMBYs all over the country.
    We live in a world surrounded by technological developments and yet for some inexplicable reason our leaders have decided that it's preferable to source power for homes, businesses, hospitals etc. on windmills.

We live in a world surrounded by technological developments and yet for some inexplicable reason our leaders have decided that it's preferable to source power for homes, businesses, hospitals etc. on windmills.
    It’s because they’re efficient, quick to install and relatively cheap. Currently about 25% of our electricity comes from them, a massive increase just from building a load offshore.

What’s your issue with them? What more technologically advanced energy source would you go with?

Yes because we are running out of fossil fuel. It is the biggest challenge affecting the world, and it’s my job. We have also ruined the planet and now it is probably too late but, we need to do something. The main issue with renewable power is that you can’t store the energy as well, or run it whenever you need it, like you can with coal etc. Wind power is good, and the wind is free.

Re relying on Russian gas, we have all sat on our hands and pretended this wasn’t happening while private businesses have made massive profits. Alternative power stations cost billions. State investment was required, or forcing private companies to act, but that’s not happened either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Yes because we are running out of fossil fuel. It is the biggest challenge affecting the world, and it’s my job. We have also ruined the planet and now it is probably too late but, we need to do something. The main issue with renewable power is that you can’t store the energy as well, or run it whenever you need it, like you can with coal etc. Wind power is good, and the wind is free.

Re relying on Russian gas, we have all sat on our hands and pretended this wasn’t happening while private businesses have made massive profits. Alternative power stations cost billions. State investment was required, or forcing private companies to act, but that’s not happened either.
    But that sort of infrastructure would have incurred huge capital outlay or some PPP which would cost a arm and leg in the long run.

I believe that infrastructure is vital however I can see why no government had the balls to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

We're not running out of fossil fuel - there's more than ever that can be reached [not fracking]. Exon has just discovered 3 new fields, and technology means we can get at it whereas before we couldn't.

Wind is free, but wind turbines aren't. They lose 4-5% efficiency pa. They cost £millions to produce, they use up energy to produce, they impact on the environment by stopping the flow of winds, and they're heavily subsidized. 25 -30% aren't working due to breakdown at any one time. And, if it isn't windy you get f. all !

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder’s Mam View Post
    It’s because they’re efficient, quick to install and relatively cheap. Currently about 25% of our electricity comes from them, a massive increase just from building a load offshore.

What’s your issue with them? What more technologically advanced energy source would you go with?
    Apart from my reply to PDLR, you need power stations to back them up when it's not windy.

We're not running out of fossil fuel - there's more than ever that can be reached [not fracking]. Exon has just discovered 3 new fields, and technology means we can get at it whereas before we couldn't.

Wind is free, but wind turbines aren't. They lose 4-5% efficiency pa. They cost £millions to produce, they use up energy to produce, they impact on the environment by stopping the flow of winds, and they're heavily subsidized. 25 -30% aren't working due to breakdown at any one time. And, if it isn't windy you get f. all !
    But those new fields are also more expensive to reach than the ones we currently use.

If you're bringing up expense for wind power then it's only fair to also acknowledge that for fossil fuels.

Apart from my reply to PDLR, you need power stations to back them up when it's not windy.
    That’s why we are building nuclear power stations

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder’s Mam View Post
    That’s why we are building nuclear power stations
    Are we ? They're planned.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    But those new fields are also more expensive to reach than the ones we currently use.

If you're bringing up expense for wind power then it's only fair to also acknowledge that for fossil fuels.
    Yes, that's true.