+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Going off grid

Going off grid

The village I live in has I think around 300ish houses.

If every household clubbed together they could build a wind turbine that would power every home in the village - I think looking online it would cost about £1 -2 million or between 3 and 6 grand per house.

At current energy prices, this would pay for itself in about a year, and there would probably be a surplus to sell back to the grid.
    Assuming the numbers I've plucked from online are anything like correct.

I wonder if we will start to see communities clubbing together and doing this.

Not everyone can afford 3-6 grand up front, but you could finance the turbine and pay it back from the energy bills perhaps.

The government should offer interest free loans for communities who want to do this

Re: Going off grid

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

If every household clubbed together they could build a wind turbine that would power every home in the village - I think looking online it would cost about £1 -2 million or between 3 and 6 grand per house.

At current energy prices, this would pay for itself in about a year, and there would probably be a surplus to sell back to the grid.

Not everyone can afford 3-6 grand up front, but you could finance the turbine and pay it back from the energy bills perhaps.

The government should offer interest free loans for communities who want to do this
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sounds good to me.
    I may look into it

I can't work out if this poster is a parody account or not, but if it is, it's bloody brilliant!

I will drop this excellent idea on the table of an MP .Let's see what pops.. would you want the turbine in City's old 70' s colours of Blue ,yellow ,white ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I will drop this excellent idea on the table of an MP .Let's see what pops.. would you want the turbine in City's old 70' s colours of Blue ,yellow ,white ??
    I'm looking forward to the day when there is a wind turbine in everybody's back garden. Why didn't Klaus and his billionaire pals think of this? It's a lot easier than killing everybody off

It's an interesting concept, but is it not a little 'I'm alright Jack-y' though?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's an interesting concept, but is it not a little 'I'm alright Jack-y' though?
    There wouldn't be a single bird left alive in the British sky if we followed Rjk's madcap idea. It would be a lot easier to vote for Organ Morgan as PM, and we would have the cheapest energy in history for everybody. Sometimes the simpler solutions really are better.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    is it? surely it helps everyone, improves our energy security and prices would be lower for everyone if there's less demand in the existing grid?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    There wouldn't be a single bird left alive in the British sky if we followed Rjk's madcap idea. It would be a lot easier to vote for Organ Morgan as PM, and we would have the cheapest energy in history for everybody. Sometimes the simpler solutions really are better.
    do they really kill birds? none of the ones I've ever seen were going fast enough to I don't think.

what's organ Morgan's idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'm looking forward to the day when there is a wind turbine in everybody's back garden. Why didn't Klaus and his billionaire pals think of this? It's a lot easier than killing everybody off
    Can you image the death toll of Carling back yard barbie drinkers , and the mass slaughter of seagulls , let's get them built. ASAP.

However like Organ Trump knows better :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/04/15/why-trump-hates-wind-turbines/

I was talking about 1 big turbine in the village, which could power all the homes, not a turbine in every garden

I was talking about 1 big turbine in the village, which could power all the homes, not a turbine in every garden
    The increase in energy prices could easily be reduced if the government put in place the powers it has available, however by not doing that is making people like me and you look into different avenues in respect of energy usage.

I see solar panel usage has increased to records levels and the cost of installation has come down considerably to the average household.

https://www.solarpowereurope.org/pre...r-terawatt-age

This is in the Climate Agenda 2030

https://sdgs.un.org/2030agenda

[QUOTE=Rjk;5337526]I was talking about 1 big turbine in the village, which could power all the homes, not a turbine in every garden[/QUOTE

Should get one for about 3 to 4 million , spare cash for you villagers ..