+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Compliments from an opposing manager, but it’s still another blank fired by Cardiff City.

Compliments from an opposing manager, but it’s still another blank fired by Cardiff City.

Still no league goals conceded at Cardiff City Stadium.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Compliments from an opposing manager, but it’s still another blank fired by Cardiff City.

Good write up as usual.

I do think we will win more than we lose playing this way, he’s right. The defence looks solid, especially at home and that’s a platform to build off.

Was frustrated leaving the game yesterday but can see more positives after some time to reflect.

Re: Compliments from an opposing manager, but it’s still another blank fired by Cardiff City.

Had me Googling Ben Woodman

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Good write up as usual.

I do think we will win more than we lose playing this way, he’s right. The defence looks solid, especially at home and that’s a platform to build off.

Was frustrated leaving the game yesterday but can see more positives after some time to reflect.
    The defence was hardly attacked yesterday.
    My frustration was that we were building a all our attacks along the wings and not through the midfield. We need to be more direct running at defenders in the middle of the pitch.
    But overall an improvement.

Was always a rarity to enjoy scoreless draws, not so now, enjoyed both the WBA and yesterday’s games.

It’s going to take time and confidence to get the goals, it was never going to happen over night. I still think we need two strikers mind, yes to get goals but just as much to be the focal point and bring others into play like Hugill did last season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

TOBW, I always enjoy reading your blogs, they are, in my opinion, well written, fair and accurate assessments of the game. Attributes that are also evident in your, often calming, common sense posts on here.
    One point however I am not convinced about: I often hear people comment that one of the factors to consider in our imperfect performances is the fact that we are having to adapt to a new style of play. If we were asking last year's team to play this new (and far more enjoyable) style then I would get it. But we are not. Apart from a couple, this team was brought in by the manager to suit this style. This is not meant as a criticism of anyone, just a pedantic observation. I fully agree that there is a very strong factor around getting a new group of players to gell around any particular style and that this is extremely relevant but it's not like this team was playing under NW or MM. Personally I think that, given the short time together, the team have gelled around this style remarkably well, especially the hair-raising, entertaining and potentially career-ending way we pass it around at the back. I have seen many teams who have been together a lot longer falter when trying this. I love it. Long may it continue, as may your blogs (contribution on the way).

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    My frustration was that we were building a all our attacks along the wings and not through the midfield. We need to be more direct running at defenders in the middle of the pitch.
    It was a bit pedestrian at times

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Fully agree with this. I made a similar comment yesterday. Our current forward players are far more suited to through balls than crosses.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    TOBW, I always enjoy reading your blogs, they are, in my opinion, well written, fair and accurate assessments of the game. Attributes that are also evident in your, often calming, common sense posts on here.
    One point however I am not convinced about: I often hear people comment that one of the factors to consider in our imperfect performances is the fact that we are having to adapt to a new style of play. If we were asking last year's team to play this new (and far more enjoyable) style then I would get it. But we are not. Apart from a couple, this team was brought in by the manager to suit this style. This is not meant as a criticism of anyone, just a pedantic observation. I fully agree that there is a very strong factor around getting a new group of players to gell around any particular style and that this is extremely relevant but it's not like this team was playing under NW or MM. Personally I think that, given the short time together, the team have gelled around this style remarkably well, especially the hair-raising, entertaining and potentially career-ending way we pass it around at the back. I have seen many teams who have been together a lot longer falter when trying this. I love it. Long may it continue, as may your blogs (contribution on the way).
    Thanks, it's a fair point you make and I would have thought that someone like Perry Ng is benefiting from the change of approach. However, there's been plenty of comment so far about Joe Ralls not looking his normal self and, as someone who has played in a different style throughout what's now a long career, could it be that he's finding the adjustment a tough one to make? Although Rubin Colwill has come through the ranks playing more of a passing game, he might have found yesterday a bit of a culture shock as well compared to what he's been used to in the first team so far.

Thanks, it's a fair point you make and I would have thought that someone like Perry Ng is benefiting from the change of approach. However, there's been plenty of comment so far about Joe Ralls not looking his normal self and, as someone who has played in a different style throughout what's now a long career, could it be that he's finding the adjustment a tough one to make? Although Rubin Colwill has come through the ranks playing more of a passing game, he might have found yesterday a bit of a culture shock as well compared to what he's been used to in the first team so far.
    Ralls I think is just off the pace a tad but getting better. I think that’s fitness related. Although he does seem to have been caught on the ball a bit more this season so far.

Another good write up as always

I think Watters had a better game in that he seemed to be involved in the linking of play more yesterday.

He still looks like he’s lazy and doesn’t make the forward runs he needs to make. No chasing of lost causes that’s for sure.

I think he’s got better but he’s not adding enough to excuse his lack of goals. Plus….. we looked void of ideas in the final third again

On defence I do think we are slow to chase back at CB. And too many players lose their man. But I’m sure that will generally improve as they understand their roles over time

No we didn't concede. Preston were awful. We looked good, again, and deserved a goal. Good write up and always appreciated. My go-to place for a proper account of our matches. We should be getting 3 points against a side even worse in the final third than we are, especially at home. Thought the new lad looked good. Agree with Mr P, it was an enjoyable 0-0 and I left much happier than when I arrived.

Strange use of subs and weirdly late (Whyte! What was that about at 0-0 at home with minutes left?)

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Another good write up as always

I think Watters had a better game in that he seemed to be involved in the linking of play more yesterday.

He still looks like he’s lazy and doesn’t make the forward runs he needs to make. No chasing of lost causes that’s for sure.

I think he’s got better but he’s not adding enough to excuse his lack of goals. Plus….. we looked void of ideas in the final third again

On defence I do think we are slow to chase back at CB. And too many players lose their man. But I’m sure that will generally improve as they understand their roles over time
    I watched him closely yesterday and I'm not convinced he's lazy. I think he's a rabbit in the headlights and I'm tired of him now. Morison needs to do something else, fast.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    It was a bit pedestrian at times
    As good and promising as Colwill obviously is I wish he wasn't so pedestrian sometimes in his play on the edge of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    As good and promising as Colwill obviously is I wish he wasn't so pedestrian sometimes in his play on the edge of the box.

I thought Colwill was excellent yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    I thought Colwill was excellent yesterday
    Wonder if he’ll start on Tuesday?

Ralls looks to me like another Stephen McPhail.
    Tidy, but that's about it.
    Not very adventurous, chips in with the odd goal from range, but does little else in an attacking sense.
    Also falls short defensively.

It's not often you can compare two players as like for like, but I really do feel that way about Ralls and McPhail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Not very adventurous, chips in with the odd goal from range, but does little else in an attacking sense.

It's not often you can compare two players as like for like, but I really do feel that way about Ralls and McPhail.
    no, very different players

Not for me, McPhail was in a different class to Ralls. More comfortable with the ball, always seemed to have time and better quality of passing.

McPhail was probably the reason Chopra scored so many goals, different type of player to Ralls completely

Back to Watters, he looked more involved and he's general link up 0lay was much better, however he lacks that goal poachers instinct at this level, he very rarely gambles on getting into a position where he thinks the ball is going to be, at one stage I thought he was marking the two centre halves.
    Neither Watters or Harris are Championship players
    Harris has never been and Watters probably never will be imho

I agree totally. I've also thought Ikpeazu's playing style was uncannily like Robert Earnshaw.