+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colwill

Re: Colwill

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    If he was played as a number 10 behind a decent centre forward, with two holding midfielders doing the closing down and the donkey work, that's when we will see the best of Colwill
    He needs a run of 5/6 games in that position to establish it as his own, not playing out wide left one minute and then on the right.
    A decent manager would help him fulfill his true potential, but there again a decent manager wouldn't ridicule him in public!
    You could well be right, but that doesn't stop him from showing more when he is given the opportunity, even if it is in a position that he isn't completely familiar with. I'm not Morison's biggest fan, but i do think that good players adapt and find a way to show their ability, even if they are shunted out wide or put in a more conservative position on the pitch. That's not to say that i think that colwill doesn't possess the ability.

Results carry on like they are and it won't matter who Morison rates, knee jerk reactions, plain crazy or total lunacy, but there have already been casualties on the managerial front, and were not even in September yet.

If it was me, I'd be more concerned about getting the team scoring goals, rather than if I was right or wrong about Colwill!!!

The problem is the manager not Colwill in this instance. A formation that doesn't fully suit one of our most promising players, chucked around from left wing, to right wing, to cm etc and never given a run of games.

I just had a look and Morrison has not given him back to back starts since his first 2 games in charge in November last year - how on earth is he meant to get a run of form together?

You can see how frustrated he is when he comes on, almost trying too hard. If he had a run of games where he knew he wouldn't be in and out of the team then that wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that Morison does rate him, i said as much some months ago, as did Hartley, i think?
    Morison would have released him had Mick not seen him.

He was bloody awful last night but then the whole team were once we conceded. As soon as one goal goes in, they all panic and everything breaks down. Morison says he doesn’t do much coaching, so we need new coaches in place if that’s the case as it’s an absolute shambles so far, and that affects Colwill’s development. He won’t kick on if he doesn’t have coaches that can work out how to break teams down.

Build the team around him

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    The problem is the manager not Colwill in this instance. A formation that doesn't fully suit one of our most promising players, chucked around from left wing, to right wing, to cm etc and never given a run of games.

I just had a look and Morrison has not given him back to back starts since his first 2 games in charge in November last year - how on earth is he meant to get a run of form together?

You can see how frustrated he is when he comes on, almost trying too hard. If he had a run of games where he knew he wouldn't be in and out of the team then that wouldn't happen.
    I think that Morison is into systems, Colwill is a bit stealth, unpredictable etc. Morison may not be able to deal with a player like that or even know how to compensate for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Morison would have released him had Mick not seen him.

He was bloody awful last night but then the whole team were once we conceded. As soon as one goal goes in, they all panic and everything breaks down. Morison says he doesn’t do much coaching, so we need new coaches in place if that’s the case as it’s an absolute shambles so far, and that affects Colwill’s development. He won’t kick on if he doesn’t have coaches that can work out how to break teams down.
    Yup, it's pretty obvious. We aren't scoring because we aren't creating. Our midfield is flat and the outlet is wide players. Morison doesn't want to take teams on through the middle, which is detrimental towards our strikers and players like colwill. Morison seems more content on stretching the opposition as opposed to playing through them, which sort of negates the possession based stuff as that should be about finding angles and pulling players out in the attacking third. We play in front of teams, that's pretty easy for them to defend and line up against. It looks alright, although it's conservative in my opinion.

I've waited to nail my colours to the mast on this one and some varied responses. I have an issue with Colwill and it's probably what endears himself to other fans. He will try things that others wont try, for me too many things with a high risk to reward ratio.

Take for example when he was stuck in the corner last night, he tried something stupid with a sort of no look backheel out of danger. If it come off, people would be clapping where as it's clear that 9 times out of 10 it was the wrong decision.

I find him taking on players for the sake of it but does have the natural ability to excel in future but his decision-making for me can be almost reckless. I feel his confidence will be his downfall which is a headscratcher is what sets players like him a level above usually.

Now, if he's given the players around him to allow him to make those mistakes and pick up the pieces then we might have a different player on our hands. Who knows.

I suppose the only way we will see if he's worthy of a place in the starting x1 is if he's actually given a regular chance . Morrison seems to want to rotate every game, it's going to make it hard for the likes of Colwill and philogene to really get going.

It has to be Sawyers or Colwill as an attacking midfielder in every single game. Colwill when we need to run more. Sawyers when Colwill is leggy.

I just don't get what his best position is, which probably doesn't help him if the management aren't sure either.

He is clearly more an attacking player than box to box though of course which is a shame, his frame and technique covering the pitch would be a great thing to have.

Shows moments of ability but seems to lose the ball a lot.

Undoubtedly would have been better off with a full pre season. Whether it's his size giving off the impression or he genuinely isn't still very fit, he seemed very leggy yesterday and wasn't on that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I just don't get what his best position is, which probably doesn't help him if the management aren't sure either.

He is clearly more an attacking player than box to box though of course which is a shame, his frame and technique covering the pitch would be a great thing to have.

Shows moments of ability but seems to lose the ball a lot.

Undoubtedly would have been better off with a full pre season. Whether it's his size giving off the impression or he genuinely isn't still very fit, he seemed very leggy yesterday and wasn't on that long.
    Colwill's best (and only) position is central attacking midfielder. He doesn't have the physical attributes at this stage of his development to play anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    To me never looks quick enough even for Championship. Everything he does looks in slow motion. I think people get a bit more excited about him because he's 'one of ours', but not for me.
    Waiting for Isak Davies. He may be more exciting with his pace

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Waiting for Isak Davies. He may be more exciting with his pace
    Different types of player but Davies has the pace and sharpness on the ball which anyone playing up the pitch in a Championship side needs

He needs to find what type of player he is. He's disjointed, he's not a midfielder or a natural striker. He does his best work when driving forward with the ball from a central position. The problem as i see it is that some aspects of his game are poor, and i mean the basics, like positional play, being out of possession, awareness, decision making in tight positions and when he receives the ball with his back to goal. I think that there are too many negatives at the moment, with the simple aspects of his game, i also question his footballing intelligence.

He possesses natural ability in advanced areas, very assertive, but he needs to develop his all round game and maybe learn to find pockets of space that can suit his sometimes languid style, a bit like Jason Fowler could do, albeit at a lower level. It will be interesting to see if he develops, he might not, and if he doesn't, i really don't think that he will have a career at this level.
    Spot on, doesn't seem to me he's got (or will get) the 'nous' to become top class. Has good feet and decent shooting ability but the number of occasions he's going to find himself with space and time are limited. Defenders find him easy to intimidate which he allows to affect the rest of his game. Speed up, boy!

I also think that because he's a big lad, he like to play slow, or he can look slow in possession. He's never going to show that urgency, zip etc, he's methodical in possession but very strong when moving forward with the ball. I can see Morisons problem, and i can also see that Colwill may need to be specifically placed on a football pitch with a remit that just concentrates on the positive aspects, although that's a big ask.
    Tom Cairney at Fulham has similar issues. But he's effective at Championship level - although not used so much in the Premiership.
    P'raps an anaysis of how Cairney played last season might help Colwill.

Once again people are missing (or deliberately ignoring) the fact that Colwill was injured for most of pre season and has only been available for selection the last couple of games. He had a nasty injury at the back end of last season and is therefore being eased back in slowly so that he doesn't break down again. Morison is on record as saying that he is an important part of the future and Morison was responsible for his development in the Under 23’s, before McCarthy picked him in the first team. Talk that Morison ‘doesn't rate him’ is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    If he was played as a number 10 behind a decent centre forward, with two holding midfielders doing the closing down and the donkey work, that's when we will see the best of Colwill
    He needs a run of 5/6 games in that position to establish it as his own, not playing out wide left one minute and then on the right.
    A decent manager would help him fulfill his true potential, but there again a decent manager wouldn't ridicule him in public!
    Who ridiculed Colwill in public ? It wasn't Morison.