+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What needs to change

What needs to change

This is how I see it:
    1- The obvious - 1, preferably 2 new strikers. I wouldn't criticise Watters and Harris for effort, and it's not just down to them that we're not scoring enough, but we're clearly much weaker up front than we were last season;
    2- Wingers - If we're playing 433 we need to play 2 proper wingers, unlike last night. We've got plenty - Ojo, Philogene, Whyte, O'Dowda & Davies (when fit), so let's use them;
    3- Midfield - Either Sawyers or Colwill has to be 1 of the midfield 3, playing just in front of the other 2. Those other 2 need to be more confident at supporting attacks too, with 1 going forward and the other covering them;
    4- Defence - For god's sake practice defending against free kicks into the box lads!

Re: What needs to change

Lot of sense here. I'd say 2 doesn't matter much unless 1 and 3 are fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Lot of sense here. I'd say 2 doesn't matter much unless 1 and 3 are fixed.
    Probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    This is how I see it:
    1- The obvious - 1, preferably 2 new strikers. I wouldn't criticise Watters and Harris for effort, and it's not just down to them that we're not scoring enough, but we're clearly much weaker up front than we were last season;
    2- Wingers - If we're playing 433 we need to play 2 proper wingers, unlike last night. We've got plenty - Ojo, Philogene, Whyte, O'Dowda & Davies (when fit), so let's use them;
    3- Midfield - Either Sawyers or Colwill has to be 1 of the midfield 3, playing just in front of the other 2. Those other 2 need to be more confident at supporting attacks too, with 1 going forward and the other covering them;
    4- Defence - For god's sake practice defending against free kicks into the box lads!
    Watters actually made several good runs last night and no-one had the skill to thread the pass thru to him. Harris was absolute sh==e. He is a non starter for me. Colwill needs a couple of months at weight watchers, he could hardly run and was blowing from the start.
    Point 2 Our wingers last night were very wide , they isolated Watters completely. The central midfield did not push up in support and the non attacking winger did not move into the box in support of watters. Ralls is slow and indecisive and needs too long on the ball before he passes it. To be fair ,he is used to it sailing over his head all game.

Point 4 Ng and Romeo were outplayed aerially last night in particular for the second goal. Kipre is the only one who can head the ball under a challenge.

Gavin Whyte must be wondering what he needs to do to get a game.

Too many 2 touches before passing and wrong options taken for me last night. But they will all improve. Early days.

Us losing possession resulted in both their goals on the break. Luton are superb on the counter attack and it showed last night

Watters and Harris are not good enough at this level

League 1 maybe

But not championship

Move both of them on IMO

The football was ok at times.

I think only 2 out of Ralls , Wintle , Rino should start particularly at home.

Morrison has created a side which is literally hopeless at set pieces. Im not sure how we sort that.

Watters needs to be moved on. Hes nowhere near good enough.

We need strikers.

Obviously we need a striker but the goals we are conceding are so basic. I know we have had a few clean sheets this season so far but some of the marking at set pieces is shocking at times, opposition players always seem to have time and space in our box.

My other point would be Colwill has to start, he's the most talented and impactful footballer at the club. Surely he will build is fitness by playing? Even if just for an hour then gradually increasing. Can't be good for him to always come on when we are chasing games?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Watters and Harris are not good enough at this level

League 1 maybe

But not championship

Move both of them on IMO
    It really is this simple especially in the first instance. The wingers and midfielders will increase in confidence, as well as being made to look better, with a competent striker in front of them.

Starting to seem like whoever plays well gets dropped for next game. Philogene, sawyers and rinhamoto all dropped after goals/and or good performances. While sh#te like ojo and ralls are getting gametime

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Starting to seem like whoever plays well gets dropped for next game. Philogene, sawyers and rinhamoto all dropped after goals/and or good performances. While sh#te like ojo and ralls are getting gametime
    We all see things differently. I thought Ojo played really well last night and Ralls had a good game as well.

Until we get midfield runners up top, we could have any striker at this level and we won’t score. We are just woefully lacking in imagination and patterns of play. What coaching is going on? We are also dreadful at set pieces. Whatever midfield 3 we play, we don’t get numbers forward. When we broke last night, the midfield just ambled forward and showed no desire to get in the box. He also won’t change the shape regardless of the score line. It’s always 433, with a static midfield. The players know they’re not going to score, which is also a massive issue. They’ve got no idea how to break sides down

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Until we get midfield runners up top, we could have any striker at this level and we won’t score. We are just woefully lacking in imagination and patterns of play. What coaching is going on? We are also dreadful at set pieces. Whatever midfield 3 we play, we don’t get numbers forward. When we broke last night, the midfield just ambled forward and showed no desire to get in the box. He also won’t change the shape regardless of the score line. It’s always 433, with a static midfield. The players know they’re not going to score, which is also a massive issue. They’ve got no idea how to break sides down
    From what i have seen of us, it looks over coached, players with a job to do and a position to stand in, the ball goes inside when it has to etc. There's hardly any flair or risk taking in the right areas. It looks like a group of inexperienced coaches who are implementing their philosophy from the book, rather that taking the bits that they need and then adding their own philosophy, character, style etc .

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    From what i have seen of us, it looks over coached, players with a job to do and a position to stand in, the ball goes inside when it has to etc. There's hardly any flair or risk taking in the right areas. It looks like a group of inexperienced coaches who are implementing their philosophy from the book, rather that taking the bits that they need and then adding their own philosophy, character, style etc .
    I think that’s probably true, and maybe they’re going too deep into the textbook. They certainly know what they’re doing in possession in the first two thirds of the pitch but it all breaks down in the final third. He must be telling the centre mids to wait on the edge of the box, surely? I don’t know why but none of them ever get in the box. Something has to change though, there’s no patterns of play or moves, it’s just all shots from range and the odd cross when we have just Watters in the box.

To be fair to Morison, I think we need to see if he can bring in some strikers and, if be can, what they look like. People seem to have made up their mind about Etete already, but, I think he’s worth persevering with and has plenty of scope for improvement. £500,000 for a striker is nothing these days and you’re not going to sign an experienced striker of the standard we need for that - Morison has been able to build seventy per cent of a decent squad on no sort of budget, but everyone knew that recruiting strikers would be the hardest part and surely it’s best to hold fire on any complete judgement of our squad for a couple more days yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    To be fair to Morison, I think we need to see if he can bring in some strikers and, if be can, what they look like. People seem to have made up their mind about Etete already, but, I think he’s worth persevering with and has plenty of scope for improvement. £500,000 for a striker is nothing these days and you’re not going to sign an experienced striker of the standard we need for that - Morison has been able to build seventy per cent of a decent squad on no sort of budget, but everyone knew that recruiting strikers would be the hardest part and surely it’s best to hold fire on any complete judgement of our squad for a couple more days yet.
    Well that's just crazy talk

We need Watters to score one goal and then he will magically score 20 goals.

Honestly, I think we just need time and a couple of good (high scoring) results to get that belief and confidence going forward. Oh and a striker or two in the next two days wouldn't go amiss. Someone who already has that belief and confidence because it's going to take a long time to get it organically with this squad. Every post, tweet, press conference is about the lack of strikers and goals.

Bring a striker in. They score on their debut. We forget about all this.