+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Morning After

The Morning After

So a quick scan of the late deals last night seems to confirm that there were no departures yesterday? I was convinced any combination of Whyte, Nelson, Sang, Watters or Harris may have left on loan or permanently. I suppose some - Whyte and Nelson, in particular - may see their contracts paid up and leave as free agents.

The Watters situation is interesting. Like quite a few on here, I'm not convinced he's Championship standard. Robinson will surely get a long run in the team now, with Etete - if nothing else as Morison's signing - probably being the back-up. Although I'm far from convinced by him at this level either, with Harris offering the flexibility off the bench to play out wide too, Watters could well be the fourth choice. Not a great future in store for him here, by the look of it.

Also a quick question for Ccfcwelshlad - were we ever in for Hugill or had Robinson always been the main target upfront?

Re: The Morning After

Once Issak Davies returns to full fitness, Watters and Harris will drop further down the pecking order along with Nelson(2nd touch is a foul) and Whyte they need to find their level, and it certainly won't be in the Championship

After going to bed before 11 last night I woke up this morning expecting to see a few departures and maybe another player incoming.
    Maybe it was a case that others had to leave to allow more to come in, but I guess that with such a limited budget, SM made sure he did the bulk of his signings early in the window.

I'm delighted with Robinson but I'm disappointed we didn't sign a second striker, someone who is more physically imposing as it'll give us better hold up play off the bench, I wouldn't necessarily have them to start. I suppose we can still sign free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    After going to bed before 11 last night I woke up this morning expecting to see a few departures and maybe another player incoming.
    Maybe it was a case that others had to leave to allow more to come in, but I guess that with such a limited budget, SM made sure he did the bulk of his signings early in the window.
    I think it was a balancing act. There's a couple I'm sure he would've liked to let go no matter what, but the interest wasn't there. However, I'd be shocked if no interest in Whyte in particular, so it might have been that we just couldn't find a replacement to let that happen.

I'm also surprised a few didn't go out yesterday. Maybe there were no takers.
    A second new striker would have been nice, but that position was clearly difficult for championship clubs to fill.
    All in all a good window given the money available I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    So a quick scan of the late deals last night seems to confirm that there were no departures yesterday? I was convinced any combination of Whyte, Nelson, Sang, Watters or Harris may have left on loan or permanently. I suppose some - Whyte and Nelson, in particular - may see their contracts paid up and leave as free agents.

The Watters situation is interesting. Like quite a few on here, I'm not convinced he's Championship standard. Robinson will surely get a long run in the team now, with Etete - if nothing else as Morison's signing - probably being the back-up. Although I'm far from convinced by him at this level either, with Harris offering the flexibility off the bench to play out wide too, Watters could well be the fourth choice. Not a great future in store for him here, by the look of it.

Also a quick question for Ccfcwelshlad - were we ever in for Hugill or had Robinson always been the main target upfront?
    Great movement though……. 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    I think it was a balancing act. There's a couple I'm sure he would've liked to let go no matter what, but the interest wasn't there. However, I'd be shocked if no interest in Whyte in particular, so it might have been that we just couldn't find a replacement to let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Once Issak Davies returns to full fitness, Watters and Harris will drop further down the pecking order along with Nelson(2nd touch is a foul) and Whyte they need to find their level, and it certainly won't be in the Championship
    Yes of course, for some reason I'd ignored Davies