Thread: Energy Prices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Energy Prices

Seems good news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Seems good news to me.
    Because it is, but some are so partisan and dogmatic they refuse themselves to acknowledge it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Seems good news to me.
    Well, it is to the extent that it could have been a lot worse. However, we’re looking at a monthly increase of over £40 compared to what we’ve paying now and, although I’ve not seen confirmation of this because everything has suddenly switched to being about the Queen, I assume it’s still in the form of a loan that we’re going to have to pay back. This seems grossly unfair when certain people and companies are making obscene amounts of money out of this situation - the lack of a windfall tax appears to be based on nothing more than dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well, it is to the extent that it could have been a lot worse. However, we’re looking at a monthly increase of over £40 compared to what we’ve paying now and, although I’ve not seen confirmation of this because everything has suddenly switched to being about the Queen, I assume it’s still in the form of a loan that we’re going to have to pay back. This seems grossly unfair when certain people and companies are making obscene amounts of money out of this situation - the lack of a windfall tax appears to be based on nothing more than dogma.
    Companies will be paying tax on those profits. Much greater income than last year. The problem is partly that you pay taxes after profits, so you have to wait for accounts, whereas action was needed in time for winter.

First, well done to Liz Truss on taking immediate action. Boris could and should have done something but too busy writing his book in time for Christmas.
    Secondly there seems to be a misconception about who and what ' we're going to have pay back means'. Of the £870billion that is the annual tax take by government, less than a quarter ( £208b) comes from income tax. In fact nearly half the UK adult population pay no income tax. The majority of the tax take is from business, particularly corporation tax on profits. Business needs a stable environment if it's going to invest in UK and surprise windfall taxes might give short term gain at the cost of future investment.
    Another fact not generally aired is about the wealthy fat cats ( I'm not one). This 1% of the population pay nearly a third of the UK income tax.
    I don't want a load of bullshit about me being a tory etc etc..I'm just laying out the facts

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    First, well done to Liz Truss on taking immediate action. Boris could and should have done something but too busy writing his book in time for Christmas.
    Secondly there seems to be a misconception about who and what ' we're going to have pay back means'. Of the £870billion that is the annual tax take by government, less than a quarter ( £208b) comes from income tax. In fact nearly half the UK adult population pay no income tax. The majority of the tax take is from business, particularly corporation tax on profits. Business needs a stable environment if it's going to invest in UK and surprise windfall taxes might give short term gain at the cost of future investment.
    Another fact not generally aired is about the wealthy fat cats ( I'm not one). This 1% of the population pay nearly a third of the UK income tax.
    I don't want a load of bullshit about me being a tory etc etc..I'm just laying out the facts
    Isn’t it a fact though that the gap between richest and poorest has grown (I won’t use the word exponentially) for the last twelve years and continues to grow? I don’t like the new fangled term optics, but I’ll use it this time - in the context of the cost of living crisis, the optics of what is essentially the Government trying to justify the rich getting richer is terrible

Isn’t it a fact though that the gap between richest and poorest has grown (I won’t use the word exponentially) for the last twelve years and continues to grow? I don’t like the new fangled term optics, but I’ll use it this time - in the context of the cost of living crisis, the optics of what is essentially the Government trying to justify the rich getting richer is terrible
    You make a good point and I do think that's the case. Many people though think of the rich as from inherited wealth or big business fat cats. In fact many who have made obscene amounts of money have done it because the likes of you and I are willing to spend our money to support them..be it pop stars, film stars....or football stars.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    You make a good point and I do think that's the case. Many people though think of the rich as from inherited wealth or big business fat cats. In fact many who have made obscene amounts of money have done it because the likes of you and I are willing to spend our money to support them..be it pop stars, film stars....or football stars.
    There is absolutely no point in saying anything remotely positive about the Conservative government on here. Had a Labour government done the same thing there would be widespread appreciation but anything positive done by the Tories will be met with negatives although there are some who maintain a more balanced view.