+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Energy Prices

Energy Prices

• Prime Minister Liz Truss has announced plans to cap average household energy bills at £2,500 a year from October
    • The support will last for two years, she announces in the Commons, saying "this is the moment to be bold"
    • A typical household's gas and electricity bill had been due to rise from £1,971 to £3,549 in October
    • Businesses are also getting a support package for six months which will provide "equivalent support"
    • After the six-month period, further support will be targeted at "vulnerable industries", Truss says
    • The government is also lifting the ban on fracking - which involves extracting gas and oil from shale rock
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62828637

Re: Energy Prices

In other words energy prices have gone up £500 a year.Use you more pay more,use less you pay less.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    In other words energy prices have gone up £500 a year.Use you more pay more,use less you pay less.
    If your bills are capped you can fill your boots once you get to £2500 . Heaters on whilst in work , tumble dryer going 24/7 ..

A short term solution that kicks the bigger problem down the road to the next PM. A big win win for energy companies all paid for by us taxpayers. Don’t suppose anyone knows who Truss’ previous employers are….?

No doubt she will act as if she’s the hero who solved the crisis whilst ignoring bills are now over double what they were last year for many people and she’s saddled the country with a £180Bn bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    A short term solution that kicks the bigger problem down the road to the next PM. A big win win for energy companies all paid for by us taxpayers. Don’t suppose anyone knows who Truss’ previous employers are….?

No doubt she will act as if she’s the hero who solved the crisis whilst ignoring bills are now over double what they were last year for many people and she’s saddled the country with a £180Bn bill.
    Agree we've been fecked over big time by Truss and the ERG. Note green levy scrapped. Full steam ahead for climate change then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    If your bills are capped you can fill your boots once you get to £2500 . Heaters on whilst in work , tumble dryer going 24/7 ..
    You're definitely taking the piss today Jock. 😀

Great, something needed to be done, and it's been done.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Great, something needed to be done, and it's been done.
    We have been done , clearly

Your continual support of the Tories is fecking embarrassing, wind your next in

Absobloodyloutely

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We have been done , clearly

Your continual support of the Tories is fecking embarrassing, wind your next in
    Sludge, on the contrary. This provides stability, which is urgently needed.

You just liked being able to moan. If Labour had done this, your reaction would have been totally different, whereas mine would have been the same.

Sludge, on the contrary. This provides stability, which is urgently needed.

You just liked being able to moan. If Labour had done this, your reaction would have been totally different, whereas mine would have been the same.
    Bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Our understanding of energy prices in this country is bizarre isn't it ?

The amount of people who genuinely believe they pay a fixed amount for their energy is very concerning, as if it is like a mobile phone contract.

Even this price cap makes it hard to know exactly where we stand, instead of telling me the household average of the Uk, can ofgem just say they have capped prices at how ever many pence per KWH.

She'll be hated even more than Thatcher this one.

Seems good news to me.

So the rich, in their bigger houses get a cap, where the poor have to wait until they hit £2500 a year.

Have I read it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Seems good news to me.
    She could have cut the obscene profits directly of the energy companies . But that goes against her stupid tory ideology

Instead she is going to saddle future generations with huge debt

But she will wait a while till she puts up taxes to pay for it

The masses will rejoice , it seems like you have fallen for it

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    So the rich, in their bigger houses get a cap, where the poor have to wait until they hit £2500 a year.

Have I read it wrong
    No.
    Typical Tory strategy, appeasing the greedy energy companies while helping out the wealthy by capping their bills.
    All the while, making out that they're helping everybody.
    This doesn't help the poorer people whatsoever, far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Bullshit
    Theres's no way to prove it, but I'm certain thats the case. This is what people have been calling for - it gives certainty, reduces bills and finds a temporary solution whilst a long term one is worked up. Absolutely, if Labour did this you would support it.

It's just so tiresome, and clearly peoples concerns were never actually about people facing devastating bills this winter at all - it's about about discord and criticising the government for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    No.
    Typical Tory strategy, appeasing the greedy energy companies while helping out the wealthy by capping their bills.
    What are you on about?

£66 off all bills this winter (I'm in a 2 bed flat and will be paying less on fuel than any other point in my life..it may even be free) followed by a cap at way below the market price.

You are basically lying.

Can’t believe they are not wind falling taxing them, robbing peter to pay paul and Putin keeps on winning. Almost as bizarre as the fact Russia can keep raising the price, surely they should be barred from the international market whilst they are using it to fund an illegal occupation of another country? We might aswell get all our gas from Putins pocket rather than the 4% we actually do…..

Seems good news to me.
    Because it is, but some are so partisan and dogmatic they refuse themselves to acknowledge it.

Theres's no way to prove it, but I'm certain thats the case. This is what people have been calling for - it gives certainty, reduces bills and finds a temporary solution whilst a long term one is worked up. Absolutely, if Labour did this you would support it.
    Labour wouldn't do it though would they?
    They would have done the right thing, which is to cap what the energy companies are allowed to charge across the board, so per kilowatt etc.
    This is what Truss would have done if she truly gave a shit about the poorer people in society but she doesn't.
    She'll be taking a nice big backhander from the energy companies for looking after them and ensuring they can make an absolute killing.
    It's effectively corruption in my eyes. This shit should be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Can’t believe they are not wind falling taxing them, robbing peter to pay paul and Putin keeps on winning. Almost as bizarre as the fact Russia can keep raising the price, surely they should be barred from the international market whilst they are using it to fund an illegal occupation of another country? We might aswell get all our gas from Putins pocket rather than the 4% we actually do…..
    UK effectively have barred them from the international market, but you can't make everyone do it.

UK wholesale price down 6% today btw
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/uk-natural-gas

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    No.
    You're absolutely right. For example how in God's name are people on benefits going to afford £200 a month even before they think of buying food? An energy price freeze was essential just to keep the lights on in the country so was almost taken for granted. Further targeted support for the poorest people should have been a given

Seems good news to me.
    Well, it is to the extent that it could have been a lot worse. However, we’re looking at a monthly increase of over £40 compared to what we’ve paying now and, although I’ve not seen confirmation of this because everything has suddenly switched to being about the Queen, I assume it’s still in the form of a loan that we’re going to have to pay back. This seems grossly unfair when certain people and companies are making obscene amounts of money out of this situation - the lack of a windfall tax appears to be based on nothing more than dogma.