+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Blake and the fruit machine

Nathan Blake and the fruit machine

What was that all about??...... I was a bit young to have been interested or properly informed.

I imagine this has also had half a dozen threads dedicated to it over the years but a bit of nostalgia tends to go down well on here even if it has been done to death.

I'm still none the wiser anyhow. So pretty please, indulge me.

Re: Nathan Blake and the fruit machine

I think It’s as simple as he got prosecuted from robbing from a fruit machine in London.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I think It’s as simple as he got prosecuted from robbing from a fruit machine in London.
    Which was to our benefit, as he was booted by Chelsea and he came home and did his 2nd year YTS with us.

I heard he was a mean dude, although it may have just been a touch of poetic licence.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    How does one rob from a fruit machine?

It was an inside job as he assisted by Trevor Cherry, Jason Orange and Steve Grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It was an inside job as he assisted by Trevor Cherry, Jason Orange and Steve Grapes.
    You’re twisting my melon man

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Are you asking for a friend?

Nathan Blake will be able to tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzlebluebirds View Post
    You’re twisting my melon man
    Sorry, old fruit.

I’m sure Ryan Jack and Steve Potts were involved as well.

I think he came to the City on the recommendation of Gary Bell..

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Which was to our benefit, as he was booted by Chelsea and he came home and did his 2nd year YTS with us.
    the gamble paid off though

To go back to the original post, I'm aware that Blake had a run-in with the police while he was at Chelsea, but I don't think that was the source of the fruit machine song. In the dim recess of my memory, I seem to recall that there was a break-in at an amusement arcade in Newport, and one witness claimed that the culprit "looked a bit like Nathan Blake". That was picked up by the local press, and then the chant started up. Does anyone else remember that?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    To go back to the original post, I'm aware that Blake had a run-in with the police while he was at Chelsea, but I don't think that was the source of the fruit machine song. In the dim recess of my memory, I seem to recall that there was a break-in at an amusement arcade in Newport, and one witness claimed that the culprit "looked a bit like Nathan Blake". That was picked up by the local press, and then the chant started up. Does anyone else remember that?
    I do recall his mother being mention on crime watch , a few of the boys I knew , recognised her as well

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Break in at the one in Commercial Road in Pill in which he was implicated, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Break in at the one in Commercial Road in Pill in which he was implicated, if I recall correctly.
    My memory tells me (although it isn't always correct!) that one of those gambling type shops with one armed bandits was broken into on Commercial Road in Pill and a black lad was seen running away from the property. The police raided Blakeys house (i think he was 17 at the time?), as his was the nearest family to the premises that were a black family. The old Bill dragged him out of bed and took him down the nick for "questioning". Although of course, Blakey was 100% innocent.

***If my memory is playing tricks on me, can someone put me right, thanks***

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    My memory tells me (although it isn't always correct!) that one of those gambling type shops with one armed bandits was broken into on Commercial Road in Pill and a black lad was seen running away from the property. The police raided Blakeys house (i think he was 17 at the time?), as his was the nearest family to the premises that were a black family. The old Bill dragged him out of bed and took him down the nick for "questioning". Although of course, Blakey was 100% innocent.

***If my memory is playing tricks on me, can someone put me right, thanks***
    Think it was Mr. Slots, not 100% on that, but I was under the impression he was involved.

Think it was Mr. Slots, not 100% on that, but I was under the impression he was involved.
    Wasn't there another lad involved, Jack Potts?

I wonder what he's thinking if he's been on here and read this thread

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    Wasn't there another lad involved, Jack Potts?

Race and accusation in one with that. Just wouldn’t spread on the terraces these days.
    Im sure Blakey has always seen the humour in it and the affection it was sung with.

Remember the Phil Stant spin off version.

City players never have and never will be involved in nefarious activities. That includes Robin Friday

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Race and accusation in one with that. Just wouldn’t spread on the terraces these days.
    Im sure Blakey has always seen the humour in it and the affection it was sung with.

Remember the Phil Stant spin off version.
    ..........I don't remember that one but I've got a feeling it isn't going to be pretty. .....

Also, not to get back to the syllables thing but "He's Phil Stant.....he's Phil Stant" really doesn't flow.

.....and was it "he's" or "it's" ??

..........I don't remember that one but I've got a feeling it isn't going to be pretty. .....

Also, not to get back to the syllables thing but "He's Phil Stant.....he's Phil Stant" really doesn't flow.

.....and was it "he's" or "it's" ??
    ‘He’s white, he’s mean
    He fought the Argentine
    Stantona, Stantona’