+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: “The silent majority” - yeah right.

Re: “The silent majority” - yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I don't think the UK looked great at all. I found it incredibly embarrassing that people (subjects of Her majesty rather than citizens) fawn over members of royalty that they have absolutely nothing in common with and in the most infantilising way. Let's leave it at that. For my part, I can live without kings and queens, baron, hereditary peers, honours systems and all the other medieval bullshit.
    Yeah thats fine, we all have different opinions on it. Like I said, mine have probably swung more pro-monarchy in recent days, which has surprised me and I don't think I'm alone. The global coverage Edinburgh (and the UK) got yesterday was remarkable though, and I doubt anyone on here could even name Germany's current president let alone take an interest in his funeral

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yeah thats fine, we all have different opinions on it. The global coverage Edinburgh (and the UK) got yesterday was remarkable though, and I doubt anyone on here could even name Germany's current president let alone take an interest in his funeral
    More people have probably heard about Mickey Mouse than Nelson Mandela but so what?

I don't think the UK looked great at all. I found it incredibly embarrassing that people (subjects of Her majesty rather than citizens) fawn over members of royalty that they have absolutely nothing in common with and in the most infantilising way. Let's leave it at that. For my part, I can live without kings and queens, baron, hereditary peers, honours systems and all the other medieval bullshit.
    I would imagine all those interacting with them on camera have been hand picked.

Well I'm not naive about it. I don't doubt they all have differing opinions on it, but in a way that a death can bring a family together, politically at least and no doubt temporarily, it has bought warring factions together and that's no bad thing.
    No it’s forced them together in front of the world’s media, it’s not a cuddly all in this together type situation

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    No it’s forced them together in front of the world’s media, it’s not a cuddly all in this together type situation
    Again, I'm not saying there's anything necessarily cuddly about it, but nonetheless it has happened and it's been quite pleasant

Again, I'm not saying there's anything necessarily cuddly about it, but nonetheless it has happened and it's been quite pleasant
    Quite pleasant?

Quite pleasant?
    Yep. A break from the endless political bickering. Quite pleasant seeing Sturgeon and Truss on the same page on it. It's civil and refreshing.

Yep. A break from the endless political bickering. Quite pleasant seeing Sturgeon and Truss on the same page on it. It's civil and refreshing.
    I thought you meant two sons with their father and his adultress, a brother who paid off an accuser with 12 million smackers and one of the aforementioned sons who left the royal family and scooted off to America.
    Hardly the Walton.

I thought you meant two sons with their father and his adultress, a brother who paid off an accuser with 12 million smackers and one of the aforementioned sons who left the royal family and scooted off to America.
    Hardly the Walton.
    I don't know why you don't just say what you really think?

I don't know why you don't just say what you really think?
    We still have a week to go as well

We still have a week to go as well
    6 days actually, although you are welcome to add your own additional day or mourning.

6 days actually, although you are welcome to add your own additional day or mourning.
    In all the excitement I had forgotten that it was Tuesday already.

Much of the media are reporting that the minute's silence was respected last night at Annfield whereas it had to be cut short....

a very small minority out of a very large crowd. Numerous groups, including Hillsborough Support Networks asked for respectful silence, so I think the tiny minority shouting 'Liveeeerpoooool' have made themselves look a bit stupid. Credit to the crowd really, there were many secretly hoping they would be more disrespectful so they could slag off Liverpool fans / Merseyside in general etc.

a very small minority out of a very large crowd. Numerous groups, including Hillsborough Support Networks asked for respectful silence, so I think the tiny minority shouting 'Liveeeerpoooool' have made themselves look a bit stupid. Credit to the crowd really, there were many secretly hoping they would be more disrespectful so they could slag off Liverpool fans / Merseyside in general etc.
    The point being that much of the media fudged the truth about the minute's silenced being honoured when it was cut short to 40 seconds.

These minute's silences (or applause) are always wholly fake. It's an obedience/conformity test to be respectful to what someone else deigns as appropriate for how they should behave.

Why stop at clapping in some instances? Why not ask everyone to hop on one leg instead or make train choo-choo noises?

The point being that much of the media fudged the truth about the minute's silenced being honoured when it was cut short to 40 seconds.
    I don't disagree with you. But I'm not sure it's worth dwelling on if a few idiots shout something out. Judging by the article below, that would have been jumped upon as an 'anti-Liverpool' attack etc.

We all know that Celtic would never honour the silence and beyond them perhaps Liverpool were the only threat given their (slightly confused) history with the royal family and 'the establishment' more generally. Given there was near unanimous silence, I think most people would be content with that and move on.

You can get a feel for the general subtext surrounding Liverpool fans by this article in the Liverpool Echo:
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...field-25011092

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    These minute's silences (or applause) are always wholly fake. It's an obedience/conformity test to be respectful to what someone else deigns as appropriate for how they should behave.

Why stop at clapping in some instances? Why not ask everyone to hop on one leg instead or make train choo-choo noises?
    Why smile at someone when you see them? Why shake their hand? Why wear a tie to a wedding? Why say sorry when someone dies? Why smile at a joke even if it isn't funny?

There's a whole host of social norms and behaviours that we adhere to that you would be correct in saying make limited sense on their own.

Of course, as do many other countries, but demonstrably how are they better off for it? Starting from scratch I don't doubt it's a better route to go down, but we aren't starting from scratch and I think we would lose more than we gain in becoming a republic now.
    what would we lose exactly?

"Thousands of NHS operations and appointments look set to be cancelled on the day of the Queen's funeral.
    The introduction of a last-minute bank holiday has meant hospitals are now postponing some routine treatments which had been booked in for Monday."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62902341

"Thousands of NHS operations and appointments look set to be cancelled on the day of the Queen's funeral.
    The introduction of a last-minute bank holiday has meant hospitals are now postponing some routine treatments which had been booked in for Monday."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62902341
    Crazy , GP's should be open ..

To be fair it doesn't take much these days to lock-down , whose decision was this before we blame our King ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Crazy , GP's should be open ..

To be fair it doesn't take much these days to lock-down , whose decision was this before we blame our King ?
    The Bank Holiday was declared by the government because of the funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what would we lose exactly?
    It's a fair question, and I am not ideologically a monarchist at all (quite the opposite really) so I don't dispute for a second that life would continue 99.9% the same as it is now. I could argue that on this, I support the status quo, so it is for others to make the case for changing something, but nontheless, a few thoughts;

1 / Global exposure. I've been struck by this - it's led the news websites, rolling news and papers in many countries for days. Some may argue that is not positive, but it is great advertising for the country and culture. Edinburgh and Scotland in particularly looked glorious. I think having a reigning monarch helps maintain that and is a significant part of the tourist offer. Cardiff will be in the worlds eye on Friday. We cannot buy that level of exposure.

2 / Stability. The UK is actually a pretty stable country and we have dealt with constitutional change in a generally stable manner over the last couple of centuries. I do wonder if an apolitical head of state does help with that. I'd suggest that perhaps it does

3 / Tradition. I'm not saying we live our lives for tradition alone, but it does matter. What else is it about Cardiff City playing in blue other than tradition? It's not a tradition I greatly care for, but many do, and I think I would miss elements of it if we had an elected politician as head of state

4 / It aint broke. The new King is powerless. He has now control over laws that impact us. If he did I would think 100% differently, but he doesn't. In a practical sense, removing him wouldnt lead to any better laws. It may even lead to worse if we had a president and prime minister from the same party? I've seen more people on here this week talk about the Queen than they ever do the Welsh health or education system - these are things we can and should influence far more.

5 / Kate Middleton is an absolute megababe and the thought of her as queen is hot.

More than anything, I just don't see the point. We know it doesn't make enormous practical sense, but nor does religion for most of us, but sometimes you take that away from a society and a void fills it that may be less positive than what it replaced.

And thats not to say that there aren't a great many things the Royal Family could do better, because there is. In the absence of any Republic being imminent, perhaps that would be a more useful conversation?

It's a fair question, and I am not ideologically a monarchist at all (quite the opposite really) so I don't dispute for a second that life would continue 99.9% the same as it is now. I could argue that on this, I support the status quo, so it is for others to make the case for changing something, but nontheless, a few thoughts;

1 / Global exposure. I've been struck by this - it's led the news websites, rolling news and papers in many countries for days. Some may argue that is not positive, but it is great advertising for the country and culture. Edinburgh and Scotland in particularly looked glorious. I think having a reigning monarch helps maintain that and is a significant part of the tourist offer. Cardiff will be in the worlds eye on Friday. We cannot buy that level of exposure.
    The USA had global exposure with Trump and Russia has global exposure with Putin. It doesn't really mean anything per se.

2 / Stability. The UK is actually a pretty stable country and we have dealt with constitutional change in a generally stable manner over the last couple of centuries. I do wonder if an apolitical head of state does help with that. I'd suggest that perhaps it does
    The UK is more unstable than some neighbouring countries that do not have royal families that are worshipped a la House Windsor - and the UK seems far more volatile than some of those countries.

3 / Tradition. I'm not saying we live our lives for tradition alone, but it does matter. What else is it about Cardiff City playing in blue other than tradition? It's not a tradition I greatly care for, but many do, and I think I would miss elements of it if we had an elected politician as head of state
    Bear-baiting and sending children up chimneys was traditional - and not being able to get red of someone who achieved their position merely by being born in the right bad is ridiculous.

4 / It aint broke. The new King is powerless. He has now control over laws that impact us. If he did I would think 100% differently, but he doesn't. In a practical sense, removing him wouldnt lead to any better laws. It may even lead to worse if we had a president and prime minister from the same party? I've seen more people on here this week talk about the Queen than they ever do the Welsh health or education system - these are things we can and should influence far more.
    The elitist and class system in this country is indeed broke. Hereditary monarchy, hereditary peers, the political dominance of those who had private schooling and/or attended one or two universities, the sleazy honours system, the nepotism, the still-existing class divide etc

5 / Kate Middleton is an absolute megababe and the thought of her as queen is hot.

More than anything, I just don't see the point. We know it doesn't make enormous practical sense, but nor does religion for most of us, but sometimes you take that away from a society and a void fills it that may be less positive than what it replaced.
    Both royalty and religion are infanitising. Let's grow up and realise we need neither.

And thats not to say that there aren't a great many things the Royal Family could do better, because there is. In the absence of any Republic being imminent, perhaps that would be a more useful conversation?
    It's depressing that people can't imagine a life without the medieval concept of kings, queens, princesses, golden carriages, the inherited title of the Church of England and the like.

This is not the time for these sorts of thoughts!!