+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: arrests for protesting the new head of state

Re: arrests for protesting the new head of state

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Wrong the Act is from 1986 the guidlines were updated in 2022 but the offence is the same with an odd word changed, its been used by police re stroppy behaviour as well as public order situations since its inception
    I'd say Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022, UK Public General Acts, 2022, c.32, Part 3, One-person protests, Section 79 (10) (a), but I would have to see the charge sheet first.

A very rare thread from me in what was the Politics Board back in January. https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...t=protest+laws

As you'll see, very little interest at the time.

As someone who's been on the receiving end during protests and activism, and paid the price, I've come to the conclusion that we're a pretty soft country of cap-doffers these days and that the biggest thugs/criminals wear suits, robes and uniforms.

Side note: the woman in Scotland who was arrested could well have been under Scottish laws which are different. I can't remember the subtle differences now.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    A very rare thread from me in what was the Politics Board back in January. https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...t=protest+laws

As someone who's been on the receiving end during protests and activism, and paid the price, I've come to the conclusion that we're a pretty soft country of cap-doffers these days and that the biggest thugs/criminals wear suits, robes and uniforms.

Side note: the woman in Scotland who was arrested could well have been under Scottish laws which are different. I can't remember the subtle differences now.
    They only violated the international human rights standards a little bit, it could have been much worse! /s

Drunk in charge of a haggis? Possession of Iron Bru? Using a caber without due care and attention?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    They only violated the international human rights standards a little bit, it could have been much worse! /s
    It will be, eventually. My view is that there'll be a push-back. The irony being is that it'll be much bigger than any protests the state has so-far experienced and far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Drunk in charge of a haggis? Possession of Iron Bru? Using a caber without due care and attention?
    That just falls under the 'being a tosser' clause.

It will be, eventually. My view is that there'll be a push-back. The irony being is that it'll be much bigger than any protests the state has so-far experienced and far worse.
    We saw recently in Australia how the police had no qualms in taking advantage of small incremental changes in the law, as they enthusiastically went about their business of cracking skulls and firing rubber bullets into crowds of peaceful protestors. Ordinary Men is an interesting (and shocking) read, as it documents how a bunch of middle-aged non-ideological police reservists just followed orders that required them to murder hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

Indeed. Arrested under Section 38 of the Criminal Justice and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2010. Introduced by the SNP, supported by Lib Dems and Greens. Opposed by Labour and Conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Indeed. Arrested under Section 38 of the Criminal Justice and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2010. Introduced by the SNP, supported by Lib Dems and Greens. Opposed by Labour and Conservatives.
    The exact law actually isn't that important, the main point is they now have the powers to stop any dissent that they don't like, online or offline.