+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Page extends Wales contract to 2026...

Page extends Wales contract to 2026...

Well deserved, and bit of a no brainer after Giggs retrial decision. Has passion ad the players want to play for him...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62679987

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...atar-2022.html

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ess-with-wales

Re: Page extends Wales contract to 2026...

Is it really?

Page did seem a bit naive in quite a few games and whilst he is the obvious choice vs Giggs, is he the obvious choice for the next 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Is it really?

Page did seem a bit naive in quite a few games and whilst he is the obvious choice vs Giggs, is he the obvious choice for the next 4 years
    I think we should have waited to see how he performed in the world cup. Even then, 4 years seems quite a committment at the moment!

Maybe one or two clubs were sniffing around him or something and the bigwigs at the FAW panicked a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I think we should have waited to see how he performed in the world cup. Even then, 4 years seems quite a committment at the moment!

Maybe one or two clubs were sniffing around him or something and the bigwigs at the FAW panicked a bit.
    Just because the FAW made a decision in such a scenario or possibly scenario doesn't necessarily mean that they panicked. They may have reflected at length and considered the situation in a measured way for all we know. Just sayin'

I would have thought there would be a number of clubs sniffing round Page after he achieved what no other manager has in qualifying for our first WC since 1958, ourselves included.
    The FAW have made some very poor decisions in the past, this is one of their best ones!

Page will have to plan after the WC for tournaments without Bale, and probably Ramsey after 2024
    He deserves the opportunity to show what he can do.
    Alternatively I wouldn't mind him turning up at CCS

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Just because the FAW made a decision in such a scenario or possibly scenario doesn't necessarily mean that they panicked. They may have reflected at length and considered the situation in a measured way for all we know. Just sayin'
    Can't disagree of course TBG, it is quite possible that they felt him worthy of a four year deal.
    I would find that very surprising if it were the case though as we're obviously living in more financially prudent times.
    Gone are the days of most players getting such lengthy deals, so it seems strange to give a manager one.
    I like Page, I'm just not sure I'd have considered more than 2 years at this point.

4 years is only two campaigns, I think he’s justified that commitment. The next 4/5 years are going to be a rebuilding period for us, Page being manager and bringing this next age group through, who he’s been involved with since 2017, will probably benefit us in the long term.

To be honest, we’re never going to have a marquee name for Wales with the wages we pay. 28th best paid manager at the World Cup.

https://financefootball.com/2022/07/...ifa-world-cup/

Deserved, I had my doubts with him at first but you can't argue with qualifying for two major tournaments.

I can't see the need to give Page such a long contract as he is unlikely to be offered alternative employment in the foreseeable future. Other clubs or international sides are hardly falling over themselves to secure Page's services. However, a better solution might have been to retain Page's services until the end of the World Cup Campaign; he deserves that. The good thing though is that Giggs will never get his job back. Even if found innocent (as he may well be) in his Court re trial next year he was never the right character to be given such a high profile job as manager of an international side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    4 years is only two campaigns, I think he’s justified that commitment. The next 4/5 years are going to be a rebuilding period for us, Page being manager and bringing this next age group through, who he’s been involved with since 2017, will probably benefit us in the long term.

To be honest, we’re never going to have a marquee name for Wales with the wages we pay. 28th best paid manager at the World Cup.

https://financefootball.com/2022/07/...ifa-world-cup/
    Interesting link. I see Iran have just re-hired Carlos Queiroz for the World Cup, wonder if they are paying more for that pleasure than noted on that link for his predecessor.

First WC in my lifetime I think a 4 year contract is well deserved, be careful what you wish for I say, knowing the Welsh FA they could end up appointing someone like Neil Harris.

I've no problem with Page getting a contract of that length- they count for little anyway these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    First WC in my lifetime I think a 4 year contract is well deserved, be careful what you wish for I say, knowing the Welsh FA they could end up appointing someone like Neil Harris.
    I think the Welsh FA have done a pretty special job over the last 10 years or so. Welsh football (and it’s standing in the country) has probably never been better

Seen it so many times, they give contracts to a manager before a big tournament only to sack him after a disaster WC/Euros. I don’t see the rush and why we wouldn’t wait and see how we get on in the euros.

To me he’s a naive manager, felt we scrapped through to the WC with some pretty poor performances, the Ukraine did everything but score against us and I know that’s all that counts but doesn’t stop it raising concerns. This issue of concentration and throwing goals away at the end of games is also worrying not to mention the Denmark thrashing we had at the euros where Page looked totally out of his depth.

I’m saying that sometimes better the devil you know. I wouldn’t swap him for Southgate lol

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I think the Welsh FA have done a pretty special job over the last 10 years or so. Welsh football (and it’s standing in the country) has probably never been better
    I agree - but I still don't trust the fcukers, they would have us playing at the egg stadium without a blink of an eye if they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I agree - but I still don't trust the fcukers, they would have us playing at the egg stadium without a blink of an eye if they could.
    They could have quite easily and didn't for many big games in recent years so not sure where you're coming from with this. The Welsh FA get a lot more right than they get wrong these days

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've no problem with Page getting a contract of that length- they count for little anyway these days.
    As long as it's only symbolic then I like Page, but he is a bit limited tactically, especially when opposing teams get the measure of us.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    They could have quite easily and didn't for many big games in recent years so not sure where you're coming from with this. The Welsh FA get a lot more right than they get wrong these days
    Yes, they used to be useless.

Its a tough one. We qualified for the world cup, that's a huge win.

The two dutch matches and more importantly the Danish hammering were massive votes against for me.

Why not just wait until the WC. If we tank and lose every match I doubt many would be wanting him to stay on.

What difference would waiting a couple of months make, then give him the euro cycle if he has done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Why not just wait until the WC. If we tank and lose every match I doubt many would be wanting him to stay on.
    Page seems like the type of person who would leave of his own accord if team performances went downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Its a tough one. We qualified for the world cup, that's a huge win.

The two dutch matches and more importantly the Danish hammering were massive votes against for me.

What difference would waiting a couple of months make, then give him the euro cycle if he has done well.
    I agree with this. It's odd. Strange timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I agree with this. It's odd. Strange timing.
    My first thought was that it was a response to the Giggs retrial decision - that it is a clear statement that Page is now the manager not an interim or temporary appointment. No more uncertainty.

I have no problem with 4 years. As others have said that is just two international campaigns and if it doesn’t work out the contract length will only be relevant to the size of any pay off if he is replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Deserved, I had my doubts with him at first but you can't argue with qualifying for two major tournaments.
    He's managing a strong squad of players, so it's hardly unexpected, especially after the success in 2016.

He's done what no manager has done before and properly qualify for a World Cup Finals....1958 was via the back door

He fully deserves this contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He's managing a strong squad of players, so it's hardly unexpected, especially after the success in 2016.
    In fairness it was also Giggs who was in charge when we qualified for Euro 2020 so Page has the one qualification under his belt