+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time wasting

Time wasting

Time wasting was ridiculous from us last night.

Alsopp going down every 10 minutes, throw-ins taking a minute at a time.

Don’t like seeing it.

We had them on the ropes, just keep going.

What happened to a bit of fair play.

Re: Time wasting

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

Don’t like seeing it.

Methinks, every 10 minutes is a slight exaggeration

Don’t like seeing it.

You're right, time-wasting is infuriating and cheats the fans. If I was a Middlesbrough fan, I wouldn't have been happy with the amount of time-wasting we did last night.

However, we were on the ropes in the second half, the more that ball was in play (let's face it, we couldn't get hold of it!) the more chance Boro had of getting the equaliser and a likely winner.
    If I'm totally honest, I wasn't bemoaning Allsop eating up the time.

There was one farcical moment when the ballboy quickly returned the ball and placed it in position for a goal-kick for us. Allsop picked it back up and slowly made his way to the opposite side.

It's not often we're in a position to waste time ourselves, so it's probably more obvious when we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    There was one farcical moment when the ballboy quickly returned the ball and placed it in position for a goal-kick for us. Allsop picked it back up and slowly made his way to the opposite side.
    I call that " game management " to my girls team Im afraid its just part of the game itself now

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I call that " game management " to my girls team Im afraid its just part of the game itself now
    Morison probably gave Allsop a "knowing wink of the eye" at the end of the game.

Don’t like seeing it.

Why criticise City for doing it ? Its up to the referee to deal with it. Every time an away team goes one or more up at City stadium, they do it in spades. I would say that we are one better teams in the division for not doing it. When you are in front or holding on away from home, tiring and badly need the three points, anything is fair game to get over the line. Everyone and I mean everyone on here would do it, at whatever level of football they played at.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why criticise City for doing it ? Its up to the referee to deal with it. Every time an away team goes one or more up at City stadium, they do it in spades. I would say that we are one better teams in the division for not doing it. When you are in front or holding on away from home, tiring and badly need the three points, anything is fair game to get over the line. Everyone and I mean everyone on here would do it, at whatever level of football they played at.
    I agree that we are probably one of the sides that does it less but that might be reflective of never often being in a position where it is to our advantage

For me it doesn't have to be part of the game and yes refs should deal with it but there is also something about this being an entertainment business so it would help if the players self regulate and that starts with managers and their messaging to their teams

I coached cricket for years and always preached about walking if you know you hit it - it's about values and fair play to me

It is worse in amateur sport as this is what leads to hassle and trouble between teams where it doesn't have a ref or the ref can't be expected to manage that level of aggression or in some instances violence

There were some stats a few weeks ago from prem games and the ball in play times were shocking - in some instances it was only 45 to 50 minutes

Last night I was urging us to get on with it partly because it is Cardiff and a 3 goal lead is never enough, it puts the ref against us as well as the crowd and also remembering smithies doing something similar last year against hudeersfiled and it biting us in the ass

Teams do it to us! It was needed last night.

Needs to be stopped across the board and not left to refs to add on the time as they dont do it properly as evidenced last night and I think it was our last home game.

4/5 minutes is a joke, barely covers the time the extra subs take to leave the pitch let alone anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Methinks, every 10 minutes is a slight exaggeration
    Methinks?? Gadzooks, has all this medieval type royal pageantry got to you?

It’s not exclusive to a Cardiff City and it’s time the authorities got to grips with it and started sending people off, the players would soon wise up. People pay good money to watch the game and be entertained not have players constantly time wasting under the guise of “game management”.

Alsopp feigning injury just before half time was utterly embarrassing. One of the worst I’ve seen.

For me it’s one of the worst parts of the sport, it’s complete cheating and boring as **** for everyone watching it.

But if everyone else is doing it we’d be stupid to do some moral crusade to not be time wasters.

All sides do it.

The refs need to get a grip.

There should be some sort of law change for taking the ball to the corner and then just shielding it and making no attempt to play it.

I watched highlights of the 66 World Cup Final a year ago. That was before I was born but its incredible the change in the game.

The game is almost over in normal time with England 2-1 ahead. An England player is brought down by a terrible tackle outside the box. No feigning injury hes back on his feet an attacking free kick is taken within seconds and Germany break and equalise.

Ive no doubt in this day that tackle would have been game over. 3 or 4 mins down injured and the ball then taken to the corner flag.

If we're sorting out shielding the ball in the corner, let's do shepherding the ball out for a goal kick. Not timewasting but it annoys me.

I’ve seen any number of teams do a lot worse than we did last night. I thought referees were supposed to be clamping down on it this season though?

I don't have any issue with players taking their time and looking to eat up a few seconds but I don't want to be watching them shamming and generally dicking around. IMHO Allsop was well out of order last night.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I don't have any issue with players taking their time and looking to eat up a few seconds but I don't want to be watching them shamming and generally dicking around. IMHO Allsop was well out of order last night.
    Agreed, it’s embarrassing. I want a bit of entertainment not spend half the second half watching the goalkeeper lying on the floor with his leg in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If we're sorting out shielding the ball in the corner, let's do shepherding the ball out for a goal kick. Not timewasting but it annoys me.
    Hell yes, obstruction anywhere else. Also people that take another 20 yards on a throw in, frustrates the hell out of me

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder’s Mam View Post
    For me it’s one of the worst parts of the sport, it’s complete cheating and boring as **** for everyone watching it.

But if everyone else is doing it we’d be stupid to do some moral crusade to not be time wasters.
    That’s the important bit - it’s boring AF.

We have a great half where we romp to a 3-0 lead.

Then come out with the sole intention of keeping the ball out of play for as long as possible.

Yes, perhaps, that increases the chances of winning.

But it means 50% of the game is tosh.

I think football has got to be careful in many areas and try to remember that it’s suppose to be a lighthearted bit of entertainment. I don’t care what anyone says, it’s not a business.

Agreed and every change seems to be about money over entertainment.

While we are on things that need to change wasn’t there offside rule supposed to increase the number of goals scored, it seems to be used for any reason to chalk one off these days.

It might be sacrilege to many but it's gotten so bad I wish they'd go to a 60 min running clock, I guess it will never happen for money reasons as games will run long.

But at almost every level the time wasting is reaching absurd levels, just ruins the last 30 minutes of a lot of games. You are paying for 20 minutes of action in the second half sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Hell yes, obstruction anywhere else. Also people that take another 20 yards on a throw in, frustrates the hell out of me
    Obstruction doesn’t exist any more apparently.

I was watching the Big Match Revisted, think it was from 1979 and it showed an incident when a defender tried to put himself between an attacker and the ball so that it went out for a goal kick - the ref blew for a free kick and yellow carded the defender. For me, this is a definite case of the older interpretation being correct and I can’t think of a rationale for thinking what happens currently improves the game.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Obstruction doesn’t exist any more apparently.

I was watching the Big Match Revisted, think it was from 1979 and it showed an incident when a defender tried to put himself between an attacker and the ball so that it went out for a goal kick - the ref blew for a free kick and yellow carded the defender. For me, this is a definite case of the older interpretation being correct and I can’t think of a rationale for thinking what happens currently improves the game.
    So it isn’t just me then……

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    It might be sacrilege to many but it's gotten so bad I wish they'd go to a 60 min running clock, I guess it will never happen for money reasons as games will run long.

But at almost every level the time wasting is reaching absurd levels, just ruins the last 30 minutes of a lot of games. You are paying for 20 minutes of action in the second half sometimes.
    No it is being talked about seriously at the moment, I can see it being brought in - didn't they trial it in a dutch league or something recently?