+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time wasting

Re: Time wasting

If there was a 60 minute running clock then some games would literally run for 60 minutes and then finish. More injuries and moaning from fans would result. Plus if Alsop had rushed any of his kicks last night and we had lost possession and they scored from it, holy hell would break out on here with people saying he should have slowed the game down. As I said, it is up to the refs to police it properly. The fact that they dont isn't the players or clubs fault.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    If there was a 60 minute running clock then some games would literally run for 60 minutes and then finish. More injuries and moaning from fans would result. Plus if Alsop had rushed any of his kicks last night and we had lost possession and they scored from it, holy hell would break out on here with people saying he should have slowed the game down. As I said, it is up to the refs to police it properly. The fact that they dont isn't the players or clubs fault.
    In a 60 minute game the clock is stopped every time the ball goes dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Morison probably gave Allsop a "knowing wink of the eye" at the end of the game.
    I would have , 3 points is 3 points

of course, nothing he did was against the rules, he can take the GK from either side, so just happened it was from the other side that the ball was placed

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder’s Mam View Post
    In a 60 minute game the clock is stopped every time the ball goes dead.
    they do it in netball ( 4 X 15 min 1/4s ), but that just leads to the winning team passing the ball around safely for as long as they can, which can be minutes which then means the last 5 mins of the game is nothing

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    they do it in netball ( 4 X 15 min 1/4s ), but that just leads to the winning team passing the ball around safely for as long as they can, which can be minutes which then means the last 5 mins of the game is nothing
    If a team can do that without inviting pressure then fair play to them, not quite as easy in football.

I like the idea, if players know that they don't gain anything from pretending to need treatment or slowly ambling off the field during substitutions then it'll stop on day one.

Another change I'd make would be to give an indirect free kick to the opposing side if you take too long to take a free kick or goal kick, and be really strict about it.
    You wouldn't get many goalkeepers faffing about over their goal kicks if they knew they were about to face a free kick in their own box if they take too long

So teams will try to pass the ball around and take it to the corner for the last 5 minutes… as opposed to now when they try to pass the ball around and take it to the corner for 1 minute and then roll around and take ages over dead ball situations for the other 4.

Can’t really see an argument against it TBH other than tradition and maybe that the TV money won’t like that games won’t be as predictable in terms of end times any more.

It worked. All teams do it. e.g Luton

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Time wasting was ridiculous from us last night.

Alsopp going down every 10 minutes, throw-ins taking a minute at a time.

Don’t like seeing it.

We had them on the ropes, just keep going.

What happened to a bit of fair play.
    It was us doing it so i don't care..

It’s part of the game. Would you rather time-waste or lose?

If the referee stopped his watch when the ball was out of play and started it when play restarted,the problem would be instantly resolved.I won't hold my breath expecting this to happen though as football is still in the 19th century as far as time keeping is concerned.