+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: First half fireworks, second half damp squibs, but Cardiff hang on for notable win.

First half fireworks, second half damp squibs, but Cardiff hang on for notable win.

Sorry for the unCCMBesque title

Robinson makes a big difference and c City striker finally scores!

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: First half fireworks, second half damp squibs, but Cardiff hang on for notable win.

Great read as usual

I'd be interested to watch the last 20 minutes again because at the time and in the heat of the moment it seemed inevitable we would draw or even lose (isn't that how we are conditioned as City fans) but in reality we probably operated in rugby parlance a scramble led defence but were we ever really threatened after the two goals in a minute?

I know some have bemoaned our lack of set piece goals but isn't it nice to see us score some really well constructed goals - we scored 3 good goals last night - was it last year that we had a run of goals all scored from set pieces??

And fairness to Harris he leathered his shot

Re: First half fireworks, second half damp squibs, but Cardiff hang on for notable win.

Second half we seemed to drop right back, defend deep, and invite crosses - not the brightest thing to do I would have thought with this current squad. Also they were far stronger on the right, where we saw again that we have a defender who hasn't a clue how to defend. I also think bringing on the two most wasteful players in the squad - Ojo and Colwill - meant we didn't control the ball in their half of the pitch in the closing 15-20 minutes.

But Morison has quite rightly said he and the players are learning more every game, which you'd expect from a side cobbled together in 10 weeks and only playing their 9th game together. Staying clear of a relegation battle has to be the realistic target this season..

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sorry for the unCCMBesque title

Robinson makes a big difference and c City striker finally scores!

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Excellent read as always Bob

We defended way, way too deep last night in the second half. Once Boro's first goal went in, my thoughts were "Here we go again, this will end up in a 4-3 defeat and us snatching a loss from the jaws of a victory". Thats the pessimism of being a City supporter I suppose. All we seemed to do once we had the ball in defence was hoof it up to Harris in the vain hope that he would score a wonderous solo goal! In reality all it did was heap the pressure back in us. Why not try and play it skilfully out of defence and patiently go for a fourth goal? This we did with aplomb in the first half. They were extremely bad and very shakey at the back, so why we invited them to attack in wave after wave is beyond me.

Also, Morison irritated the feck out of me for having that spat with Chris Wilder. The last thing we needed to do was to get the home fans back on Boro's side, which that incident did. The same with Allsop, how the hell he never got booked for all that unsportsman like behaviour and theatrics is a wonder to me. Once again it got the home fans onside.

Still at the end of the day, we came away with three points. Onwards and upwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Great read as usual

I'd be interested to watch the last 20 minutes again because at the time and in the heat of the moment it seemed inevitable we would draw or even lose (isn't that how we are conditioned as City fans) but in reality we probably operated in rugby parlance a scramble led defence but were we ever really threatened after the two goals in a minute?

I know some have bemoaned our lack of set piece goals but isn't it nice to see us score some really well constructed goals - we scored 3 good goals last night - was it last year that we had a run of goals all scored from set pieces??

And fairness to Harris he leathered his shot
    weren't our first 10 goals last year all headers or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    weren't our first 10 goals last year all headers or something like that?
    Maybe that was I thinking about 🤔

Aden Flint started off scoring two a game if I remember correctly lol 😆

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Aden Flint started off scoring two a game if I remember correctly lol ��
    If only there were some signs that our good start wasn't sustainable

Might Allsop have kept out one if not both 'Boro's goals?
    The first seemed to go thru his legs - which shouldn't happen to better keepers.
    With the second, while a well-placed and powerful header, directed downwards, he seemed to react late and was a little stiff. Keepers practice getting down quickly (ie shifting their feet) to that sort of header.
    Actually, he looked stiff and immobile when conceding both goals.

If you count the own goal off the wurzels keeper’s head, the first non headed league goal we scored last season was Colwill’s first againstForest. I think it was our tenth of the season.

Think it’s harsh to blame Allsop for the second one.

Anyone else notice after their second (I’m sure it was their second) that Morison sat himself down on the bench with a worried/bewildered look on his face, it worried and bewildered me. I’d have thought he’d have been up on his feet trying to sort things out......or had Wilder rattled him?

Think it’s harsh to blame Allsop for the second one.
    Maybe so.
    But he was late to react to a header that was near him, and made a token dive after the ball was passed him imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Maybe so.
    But he was late to react to a header that was near him, and made a token dive after the ball was passed him imo.
    I watched it again after what you said and I was struck by how close it was to Allsop, but I’ve always thought they can be more awkward for keepers than ones that they have to stretch for - I might well be talking rubbish there mind.

First Team

I watched it again after what you said and I was struck by how close it was to Allsop, but I’ve always thought they can be more awkward for keepers than ones that they have to stretch for - I might well be talking rubbish there mind.
    I know nothing here (about 'keeping) but it looked to me like he should have just kicked it away rather than dive.

I watched it again after what you said and I was struck by how close it was to Allsop, but I’ve always thought they can be more awkward for keepers than ones that they have to stretch for .
    The word 'stiff' keeps coming to mind.
    Good keepers are like cats - the antithesis of being stiff.

The first seemed to go thru his legs - which shouldn't happen to better keepers.
    With the second, while a well-placed and powerful header, directed downwards, he seemed to react late and was a little stiff. Keepers practice getting down quickly (ie shifting their feet) to that sort of header.
    I thought he as poor for the first certainly, it didn't even seem to be hit that hard

Not sure he could have done much about the second.

I never rated Allsop as a shot stopper. It's his distribution and command of the area which are his strengths for this team. Someone like Marshall or Smithies would probably have saved both attempts last night but be virtually useless in supporting our style of play.