+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poor old Charlie looks bored out of his mind down the bay

First Team

Re: Poor old Charlie looks bored out of his mind down the bay

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The thought of you watching in horror and disbelief is quite uplifting actually. Thoughts are with you
    You're on the wrong site. You need SycophantsReunited.com.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    You're on the wrong site. You need SycophantsReunited.com.
    I just want everyone to get on and have a nice weekend old bean.

From afar, I've watched the unfolding events in Albion after Elizabeth Windsor's death with a sense of horror and disbelief. This one post has restored some belief in me that not everyone has lost their mind. Post of the year IMHO.

Why has this thread been relegated off the main page? That action is ridiculous and smacks of censorship. There is absolutely no justification for more than one board.
    I was at Niagara Falls a few days ago (been in Canada a month) and in addition to all the official Canadian flags at half mast I was very surprised to see the American flags on the other side of the river also all at half mast.

Is that just a message of solidarity with their northern neighbours in their time of trauma and inconsolable grief, or some other idiocy?

I thought they had a revolution so they wouldn’t have to muck about with their flag poles when an hereditary monarch shuffled off?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I was at Niagara Falls a few days ago (been in Canada a month) and in addition to all the official Canadian flags at half mast I was very surprised to see the American flags on the other side of the river also all at half mast.

Is that just a message of solidarity with their northern neighbours in their time of trauma and inconsolable grief, or some other idiocy?

I thought they had a revolution so they wouldn’t have to muck about with their flag poles when an hereditary monarch shuffled off?
    Jon, I know you are a committed old lefty and I get and respect your position on it all, but surely you understand the basic concept of respect and you recognise the global role of the royal family and the fact that Britain's head of state recently passed?

Can you not just recognise it as a form of respect? Surely not everything has to be ideologically aligned to your own outlook for you to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    People's loved ones die every day and if they're lucky they get family support and can afford the funeral costs. That's not the case for millions of his subjects.

When my mother died, I had to sort everything out. Everything. Go and register her death, sort the funeral arrangements, notify everybody and sort her home out. I was living 300 miles away and doing 600 miles round trips three times a week as well as working. I had no help from the state. No entourage of thousands of staff to f*cking fill a fountain pen and chopper me into the freshly-painted areas of cities around the UK.

This isn't a feel-sorry-for-myself post. Far from it.

He doesn't see the needles in Grangetown or the kids on scooters delivering smack. The fly-tipping. The rats. The poverty.

I've been very restrained about my feelings regarding the death of Queen Elizabeth II and now the ascension of King Charles III, but some of this stuff really makes me angry. It makes me feel sick. I feel a huge sense of injustice and inequality. I am having my face rubbed into the sycophancy, of the absurdity of how being pushed out into the world from a very specific vagina will automatically mean I never have to wait for a hip replacement, worry what happens to my wife when I die or scrimp and save to deal with a cost of living crisis that, would you believe, is still very much part of millions of Britons lives. I live around people who can only afford to put a couple of quid on the electric. People who have terminal cancer, people who will die young because of a lack of adequate healthcare. People who rely on and volunteer at food banks.

There's a reason that the queen was able to live so long and died of natural causes at 96 years old.

Enough. Please. Some sense of perspective I implore any of you that is seduced by this vacuous and obscene pomp to try and remember that life is f*cking hard work and they are very, very, fortunate to not have to worry about very much beyond cutting a ribbon to open a new supermarket compared to millions of their subjects.
    I agree , it's all nonsense and cobblers

However those of us who want rid of the royals are clearly wasting our time . And so it will be thus .

Because the people blowing smoke up their arses outnumber us completely so no point fighting it

I notice as has another poster that he wasn't getting down with the locals in North Grangetown or Trowbridge but being shown round Llandaff

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

However those of us who want rid of the royals are clearly wasting our time . And so it will be thus .

Because the people blowing smoke up their arses outnumber us completely so no point fighting it
    things are slowly changing

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    things are slowly changing
    The King , has actually done a lot of work in Wales with the Princes Trust and he was well received down the docks a few years back.

https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/abo...cardiff-centre

First Team

Honestly, I don't know about the folks up in northern NY. In AZ most people are unaware of the events. Despite what Tory apologists might tell you, Elizabeth Windsor and her family is something of a soap opera in the US not a set of revered global icons.

I had to laugh when the NFL season opened with the Rams v Bills game and they asked for a moment of quiet contemplation at SoFi Stadium. Most people just carried on chatting/doing what they were. This ended after 15-20 seconds with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was given the mic to ramp up the atmosphere (for the game). To say it wasn't very reverential would be an understatement.

First Team

Jon, I know you are a committed old lefty and I get and respect your position on it all, but surely you understand the basic concept of respect and you recognise the global role of the royal family and the fact that Britain's head of state recently passed?

Can you not just recognise it as a form of respect? Surely not everything has to be ideologically aligned to your own outlook for you to do so?
    That's weapons-grade condescension.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And so it should .

I should imagine the distance Charles has travelled approx 1,550 miles since the Queens death at Balmoral last Thursday.

He is in 70's , probably knackered , love or hate him his mum has died , the burden of the role and the commitment to the travel, which has not finished yet with the funeral taking place Monday this will take its toll ..
    He can abdicate if it's such a slog. Suspect he'll soldier on thou if it means losing his 18 billion inheritance.

Exactly right.
    Thank you Jon. I am neither left nor right, and I will always support the exploited. I gave up on the red v blue a long time ago. Divided we fall and united we stand, and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    The King , has actually done a lot of work in Wales with the Princes Trust and he was well received down the docks a few years back.

https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/abo...cardiff-centre
    He hasn't done a lot of work personally. The Trust and its employees do the work. It's also a tad embarrassing when you read just how much funding comes from the European Union and from the carrier bags full of dosh handed to His Majesty King Charles III by an ex Qatar Prime Minister. The three lots of CASH, which totalled €3m, were handed to the prince personally between 2011 and 2015. It claims that on one occasion, Sheikh Hamad, 62, presented the prince with €1m reportedly stuffed into carrier bags from Fortnum & Mason, the luxury food store that has a royal charter to provide the Royal Family with groceries.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-ch...times-12640561

What's interesting about this though is the part that says 'The cash payments were deposited into the accounts of the Prince of Wales's Charitable Fund (PWCF), an entity that bankrolls the prince's private projects and his country estate in Scotland'

Anyway, there's no denying that the Princes Trust, as a business (which happens to have charitable status) does a lot of splendid things for people. But so do lots of other businesses with charitable status, quite often without the benefit of the carrier bags of cash, help from the European Union (remember, we shot ourselves in the face over that) and the weight of a Royal's title heading up the whole PR department.

Here's the really embarrassing stuff though on the Princes Trust website highlighting the European Structural and Investment Funds role. Just look at all those European Flags next to the projects.

https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/sup...vestment-funds

Please don't take any of this personally. I'm just trying to present a balanced view. There's nothing ideological or disrespectful. I'm just a concerned subject of the crown who lost his European citizenship.

You're right Sludge. I'm tired of it all tbh. Tired of fighting this stuff for decades. Absolutely f*cking exhausted mate.

Ah…. OK. So it’s just ‘a basic concept of respect’ for USA officials to fly their flag at half mast for a week or longer when a foreign head of state dies?

I hope you are consistent on this and support a bit of union flag lowering in similar circumstances? Maybe just stick to a ‘basic concept of respect’ if the significant death is on the other side of the Channel or Irish Sea? So stick to gestures directed at Ireland, France and Belgium?

Thanks for the advice and guidance on this delicate matter of ceremonial propriety. Cheers!

You're right Sludge. I'm tired of it all tbh. Tired of fighting this stuff for decades. Absolutely f*cking exhausted mate.
    This country needs to get rid of the monarchy and we need a moderate , liberal minded government

I am afraid there are far too many idiots who have the vote to enable that to happen

I have found the fawning over the royals this last week absolutely nauseating . How adults with no connection to her maj and their gang cry at the drop of a hat when interviewed on tv is beyond .

It's almost like .......its fake

This country needs to get rid of the monarchy and we need a moderate , liberal minded government

I am afraid there are far too many idiots who have the vote to enable that to happen

I have found the fawning over the royals this last week absolutely nauseating . How adults with no connection to her maj and their gang cry at the drop of a hat when interviewed on tv is beyond .

Madness mate. People queuing overnight to see the coffin of some rich entitled woman, the same people who probably wouldn’t even get the shopping for an elderly neighbour. Ridiculous.

I think there are a lot of us out there having to bite our lip with all of this overbearing nonsense. We will always have a monarchy. That will never change. Sadly.

From afar, I've watched the unfolding events in Albion after Elizabeth Windsor's death with a sense of horror and disbelief. This one post has restored some belief in me that not everyone has lost their mind. Post of the year IMHO.

Why has this thread been relegated off the main page? That action is ridiculous and smacks of censorship. There is absolutely no justification for more than one board.
    I agree with you on the royal stuff but calling moving something to an area two clicks of a mouse away censorship is a bit dramatic

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I agree with you on the royal stuff but calling moving something to an area two clicks of a mouse away censorship is a bit dramatic
    All those extra clicks add up you know?! I kinda find it a pain in the arse because I miss the vibe on the main board but it is a first world problem and I accept it's nothing if it keeps the peace. Anyway, it doesn't matter where I start threads, they're always so niche they're tumbleweed. Football card collecting and motorsport. Not a sniff. If I didn't have such a massive ego I'd take it personally and feel crushed...........even LOM sh*t joke thread got more attention....

All those extra clicks add up you know?! I kinda find it a pain in the arse because I miss the vibe on the main board but it is a first world problem and I accept it's nothing if it keeps the peace. Anyway, it doesn't matter where I start threads, they're always so niche they're tumbleweed. Football card collecting and motorsport. Not a sniff. If I didn't have such a massive ego I'd take it personally and feel crushed...........even LOM sh*t joke thread got more attention....
    I don’t actually mind it, but then I used to read the politics board fairly regularly anyway

Ah…. OK. So it’s just ‘a basic concept of respect’ for USA officials to fly their flag at half mast for a week or longer when a foreign head of state dies?

I hope you are consistent on this and support a bit of union flag lowering in similar circumstances? Maybe just stick to a ‘basic concept of respect’ if the significant death is on the other side of the Channel or Irish Sea? So stick to gestures directed at Ireland, France and Belgium?

Thanks for the advice and guidance on this delicate matter of ceremonial propriety. Cheers!
    Well if they want to fly it at half mast then they can. It's pretty obvious why they are doing it. You may not feel that level of reverence personally, which is absolutely fine, but others do. It really isn't that complex.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Madness mate. People queuing overnight to see the coffin of some rich entitled woman, the same people who probably wouldn’t even get the shopping for an elderly neighbour. Ridiculous.
    Yep , they cry their eyes out and pay respect to the Queen........but when they are back home still go shopping and park in the disabled bay . And when someone is selling the big issue they walk on by .

It's all two faced bollocks .

Yep , they cry their eyes out and pay respect to the Queen........but when they are back home still go shopping and park in the disabled bay . And when someone is selling the big issue they walk on by .

It's all two faced bollocks .
    You've just made that up though, Sludge.

Well if they want to fly it at half mast then they can. It's pretty obvious why they are doing it. You may not feel that level of reverence personally, which is absolutely fine, but others do. It really isn't that complex.
    The Americans are flag shaggers. they've even got official protocol for flying flags at half staff, I wouldn't read into it as admiration for the queen herself. It's done as a mark of respect to the head of state of an allied nation, the gesture is to the held title not the person, if HRH Fred West had just died the same gesture would have been applied.