+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Old Football Echo Newspapers

Old Football Echo Newspapers

My old man has given me a big pile of Football Echos from the late 70s to try and flog on eBay.

Before I try and do that would any of the collectors/historians etc on here be interested in them?

Re: Old Football Echo Newspapers

I'll take them off your hands. How much do you want for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    My old man has given me a big pile of Football Echos from the late 70s to try and flog on eBay.

Before I try and do that would any of the collectors/historians etc on here be interested in them?
    If there are any from 75/76 season, it might be worth contacting 'The Other Bob Wilson', as I believe he is currently writing a book on that momentous season

The Echo and Footbal Echo were my life for footy , used to wait for the late extra one .. and hunt down the pink .. halcyon times.

I'd love to have the last football Echo I'm sure Tommo was on the front scoring two ?? Happy to be corrected..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    If there are any from 75/76 season, it might be worth contacting 'The Other Bob Wilson', as I believe he is currently writing a book on that momentous season
    Thanks for thinking of me, but I’ve finished the writing part of the book, it’s a question of of trying to work my way through all of the publishing stuff I don’t understand now!

I’d be very interested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for thinking of me, but I’ve finished the writing part of the book, it’s a question of of trying to work my way through all of the publishing stuff I don’t understand now!
    Good luck with that Bob. I am looking forward to reading it very much. For a variety of reasons my favourite season as City supporter

My father was a violent drinker and drove my mother out of our home. We children were so terrified of him that we could not say to anyone that we would be happier to be with her as we were interviewed in the very house he was in at the time - and although she was granted access to us in the divorce proceedings he would interrogate us afterwards and make our lives a misery.
    My solution was to visit her on alternate Saturday afternoons on the QT, buy a pink on the way home, devour the info regarding the match and pretend that I attended the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post

Probably worth framing some if they carry headlines of a big City match result of some special interest. The planned Cardiff City museum would be interested to display some maybe. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    My father was a violent drinker and drove my mother out of our home. We children were so terrified of him that we could not say to anyone that we would be happier to be with her as we were interviewed in the very house he was in at the time - and although she was granted access to us in the divorce proceedings he would interrogate us afterwards and make our lives a misery.
    My solution was to visit her on alternate Saturday afternoons on the QT, buy a pink on the way home, devour the info regarding the match and pretend that I attended the game.
    What a sad post TBG.

Very personal post, thanks for sharing. I am sorry you had that as part of your childhood.

It does also demonstrate perhaps why football has such an unfathomable hold over grown adults. We were talking about this in work the other day; it's one of the very few things that tie us to our childhoods, often as you say in emotional circumstances, not always positive. Certainly for me, whilst I got on with my father, the overwhelmingly majority of 'non practical' conversations between us were football related.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    What a sad post TBG.
    Tis ancient history as far as I'm concerned. I just owed some gratitude for the pink

Tis ancient history as far as I'm concerned. I just owed some gratitude for the pink
    Good that you came through it to be the articulate and often witty person that you are.
    They think, that as kids, we won't remember - how wrong they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Good that you came through it to be the articulate and often witty person that you are.
    They think, that as kids, we won't remember - how wrong they are!
    You will have me blushing, old fruit

You will have me blushing, old fruit
    That must be a really bad experience. A personal question, don't answer if you don't want to, But did you end up hating your father?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That must be a really bad experience. A personal question, don't answer if you don't want to, But did you end up hating your father?
    Indeed. He was a vile man to all and sundry. He was a great role model of how not to be. Quite helpful in some ways

Indeed. He was a vile man to all and sundry. He was a great role model of how not to be. Quite helpful in some ways
    I won't pry anymore! Just to say that you seem a good egg, well rounded (Not like an egg) kind and informative. Good work, turning such a negative in to a positive

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I won't pry anymore! Just to say that you seem a good egg, well rounded (Not like an egg) kind and informative. Good work, turning such a negative in to a positive
    A more heart-wrenching story was when my cat kept squawking for me to follow her upstairs a couple of hours before City played Bolton.
    I did so and she eventually gave birth to three kittens, whom I named after the scorers of the match I had to miss as a result. Wharton, Toshack and Clarke. When I met the latter gentleman I tried my best not to bore him with questions or remarks about the Real Madrid game that he scored in (and which he must have been bored to tears with) so I bored him with my story instead and how a kitten was named after him. I can't recall him staying awake though.

A more heart-wrenching story was when my cat kept squawking for me to follow her upstairs a couple of hours before City played Bolton.
    I did so and she eventually gave birth to three kittens, whom I named after the scorers of the match I had to miss as a result. Wharton, Toshack and Clarke. When I met the latter gentleman I tried my best not to bore him with questions or remarks about the Real Madrid game that he scored in (and which he must have been bored to tears with) so I bored him with my story instead and how a kitten was named after him. I can't recall him staying awake though.
    Brian Clarke was an absolute Gent. Great story, love stuff like that.