+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin Town

Twin Town

Wondering how the film fans on here rate Twin Town? Maybe you never saw it.
    I attended the funeral of the guy who co-wrote it yesterday. Most of the jokes in the film were down to Paul, I might be biased but I thought they were the film's best attributes. I always thought the storyline was a bit of a mess. As it's been 25 years since its release I might rewatch this weekend to see how well it stands up. Nice that Cardiff City get a mention in it too.

Re: Twin Town

I seen it in a cinema in NYC when it first got released free tickets were be given out....personally I thought and still think it was pretty shitty.

great film, very funny at the time, not seen it in a Looooong time now

The first two replies are exactly what I expected. It was definitely one of those Marmite films

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I attended the funeral of the guy who co-wrote it yesterday. Most of the jokes in the film were down to Paul, I might be biased but I thought they were the film's best attributes. I always thought the storyline was a bit of a mess. As it's been 25 years since its release I might rewatch this weekend to see how well it stands up. Nice that Cardiff City get a mention in it too.
    Paul Durden has died?

Did a lot for homeless and disadvantaged kids in Swansea via creative work shops etc. Funny bloke, once had a conversation about Barons nightclub and the characters in Swansea Town centre.

I've never seen the film even though the kids I worked with went on about it at length. I always held the suspicion the twins I twin town were based on a kids who'd been through the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Paul Durden has died?

Did a lot for homeless and disadvantaged kids in Swansea via creative work shops etc. Funny bloke, once had a conversation about Barons nightclub and the characters in Swansea Town centre.
    Sadly, yes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62813933.amp

He was hilarious company. I knew him for over 30 years and he always had a new anecdote every time I saw him.

It was a great send off, some of the funniest stories from those who spoke. One guy had travelled over from San Francisco and Paul had visited him there only a couple of months ago. He left his false teeth there by accident so the bloke decided to throw them off the golden gate bridge as he made his way to the airport. He said the way the tide was running there is a part of Paul sunning itself on the shore of Alcatraz Island forever.

Sadly, yes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62813933.amp

He was hilarious company. I knew him for over 30 years and he always had a new anecdote every time I saw him.

It was a great send off, some of the funniest stories from those who spoke. One guy had travelled over from San Francisco and Paul had visited him there only a couple of months ago. He left his false teeth there by accident so the bloke decided to throw them off the golden gate bridge as he made his way to the airport. He said the way the tide was running there is a part of Paul sunning itself on the shore of Alcatraz Island forever.
    He used to send some of the kids over food such as pizza when he lived in Hanover Street, Swansea. I'd say "Alright butt..." to him for months before someone told me he'd written Twin Town.

On my meetings with him a genuinely nice bloke who was always happy to help others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    He used to send some of the kids over food such as pizza when he lived in Hanover Street, Swansea. I'd say "Alright butt..." to him for months before someone told me he'd written Twin Town.

On my meetings with him a genuinely nice bloke who was always happy to help others.
    Yep exactly that. He just did things his own way. He was great at getting publicity for all his pranks and stunts but he didn't look for publicity for his many acts of kindness. The house in Hanover St is still his. Think he'd let extended friends stay there pretty much rent free. That's what he was like.

It made me laugh. I identified with the characters. Bryn Cartwright, screwing more out of the poor in his community than he gives back, a working class Tory without understanding politics, 'Self made' which doesn't exist, unless you were born on the moon, grew up on mars and went to school on venus. A horrible bastard.

The Twins-A pair of lazy chancers, opportunists, who probably set out to do the right thing, but ultimately failed.

We all know people like the Twins and Cartwright.

It's a shame that Swansea council never made more of the film's popularity and erected a mural somewhere that read "pretty shitty city".

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It made me laugh. I identified with the characters. Bryn Cartwright, screwing more out of the poor in his community than he gives back, a working class Tory without understanding politics, 'Self made' which doesn't exist, unless you were born on the moon, grew up on mars and went to school on venus. A horrible bastard.

The Twins-A pair of lazy chancers, opportunists, who probably set out to do the right thing, but ultimately failed.

We all know people like the Twins and Cartwright.
    Good summary 👍

Still haven't seen it. Taking it back to our rivalry. How would it compare to Human Traffic?

First Team

Never quite got around to watching it.

Probably not my cup of tea but if it is on Prime or the I player I may give it a go.

Enjoyed Twin Town. Some laugh out loud moments and as people say a lot of characters that are relatable.

On the flip side I found Human Traffic very odd.

I bought a cheapish blade for my Miter Saw to cut non ferrous metal the other day.
    Was a choice of two budget options....I opted for a brand called "Twin Town" due to the name.

It's not a classic but a fun film.
    Watch it now and again.

"How much for a wank Eedie?"

I've never seen it but I know you can watch it on YouTube.

Great film, should have won an oscar.

Is the car thief from port talbot a Cardiff fan ?

Quote Originally Posted by HyperboreanCCFC View Post
    Still haven't seen it. Taking it back to our rivalry. How would it compare to Human Traffic?
    Bit different to human traffic, the twins are a couple of thieves into doing drugs. Well worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Never quite got around to watching it.

Probably not my cup of tea but if it is on Prime or the I player I may give it a go.
    Entire film is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBbyQ8vr6lg and below this message.

Great fun for the first 60%-70% then completely loses its way by becoming a moribund snooze-fest.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    Bit different to human traffic, the twins are a couple of thieves into doing drugs. Well worth a watch.
    Whereas in human traffic everyone's off it

It's a decent film. I'm not sure if I'd like it as much if it was set somewhere in England. I've seen it a few times and I think I'd watch it again if I came across it.

I didn't like Human Traffic. It was too derrivative and of its time. I'm not sure I even made it through the whole film.

Great movie, some of the script and comedy was genius. I lived with a couple of Aussies and kiwis when travelling back in 2001 and it was their favourite movie, always had it on after a few beers.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Is the car thief from port talbot a Cardiff fan ?
    I honestly can't recall the car thief from PT? There were a few of ours on the extras payroll though