+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: radio commentary

radio commentary

is it always behind with the tv pictures ?

Re: radio commentary

The synching also differs between DAB, conventional radio signals and listening via an app.
    Regarding Wales away games I put S4C on the TV, mute it, and access BBC Radio Wales commentary on the PC. Both can be paused and therefore synched after a few tweaks.

By the way, I didn't see your lips move when you made that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The synching also differs between DAB, conventional radio signals and listening via an app.
    Regarding Wales away games I put S4C on the TV, mute it, and access BBC Radio Wales commentary on the PC. Both can be paused and therefore synched after a few tweaks.
    thats what i tried without pausing until i gave in

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    thats what i tried without pausing until i gave in
    Pause for thought, say I.

For PC, read laptop.

There's always a difference but as TBG says, with a little tweaking it's possible to sync the pictures and sound. Last nights game I didn't bother and just watched it on s4c with the Welsh commentary. Didn't understand a great deal but didn't really detract too much either from the experience.
    What really annoys me about timing differences is listening to cricket on TMS and BBC sport notifications. I'll get notifications of wickets before I've heard the commentary on 5live😬

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    is it always behind with the tv pictures ?
    If you're listening on FM it is virtually instantaneous, less than a half a second delay. Occasionally I take a small radio to home games and the commentary is only a whisker behind. DAB is around a second slower.

Online radio/apps vary in lag. I've just timed Radio Wales online and it's about 40 seconds behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If you're listening on FM it is virtually instantaneous, less than a half a second delay. Occasionally I take a small radio to home games and the commentary is only a whisker behind. DAB is around a second slower.

Online radio/apps vary in lag. I've just timed Radio Wales online and it's about 40 seconds behind.
    was listening on a smart speaker to radio wales it was about 1 min 30 secs behind

Pause for thought, say I.

For PC, read laptop.
    I thought that any issues relating to PC had to now be discussed on the alternative forum.

Radio frequencies are transmitted as FM/MW etc and picked up directly by your receiver.
    Digital radio signals are compressed, this is why they are able to have so many DAB stations but they then have to be decoded by your DAB Radio and one of the main reasons for the "lag" is the quality of your DAB radio decoding equipment.
    This is the reason that if you ever want to set the time accurately on a clock/watch etc using "the pips" you need to use an FM signal, as they, by law are accurate to the pip!

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    I thought that any issues relating to PC had to now be discussed on the alternative forum.
    Only if the PC is the type that is on the beat.

...these days, if you talk about anything other than football related items they chuck it in the 'other stuff' pile. The secret is to include a football issue in what should be considered other stuff, but that's just between you and me ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    ...these days, if you talk about anything other than football related items they chuck it in the 'other stuff' pile. The secret is to include a football issue in what should be considered other stuff, but that's just between you and me ok?
    Have you been whooshed, CN?

Have you been whooshed, CN?
    F*ck yeah!

Got it. So we could, in principle, discuss the rapidly declining pound, brought about by the totally inadequate uk economic policies because it would have an effect on international transfers (footballers, not bankers).

Got it. So we could, in principle, discuss the rapidly declining pound, brought about by the totally inadequate uk economic policies because it would have an effect on international transfers (footballers, not bankers).
    This sir, is yours! 🏆

This sir, is yours! 🏆
    Thank you. I would like to dedicate this award to all of the ordinary folk whose lives will be made even harder, in these already difficult times, by the totally inept and morally bankrupt politicians now in power. When providing even the very basic necessities for your children is made impossible, football tickets will be a luxury far from affordable.

Thank you. I would like to dedicate this award to all of the ordinary folk whose lives will be made even harder, in these already difficult times, by the totally inept and morally bankrupt politicians now in power. When providing even the very basic necessities for your children is made impossible, football tickets will be a luxury far from affordable.
    class John