+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: train strike

train strike

how much is the average driver paid?

Re: train strike

Maybe between £50-60k per annum perhaps more in London. Its a demanding job with drivers having to know the track, curves, braking points etc inside out. Seems a fair wage all things considered.

The salary is also an indicator of what good union representation does for the worker.

My preference regarding train strikes would be how the Japanese approach this. The bus drivers went on strike, carried on working but refused to collect fares. The passengers weren't impacted and therefore support for the drivers was overwhelming. The owners were hit in the pocket and quickly acquiesced.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Maybe between £50-60k per annum perhaps more in London. Its a demanding job with drivers having to know the track, curves, braking points etc inside out. Seems a fair wage all things considered.

The salary is also an indicator of what good union representation does for the worker.

My preference regarding train strikes would be how the Japanese approach this. The bus drivers went on strike, carried on working but refused to collect fares. The passengers weren't impacted and therefore support for the drivers was overwhelming. The owners were hit in the pocket and quickly acquiesced.
    I have to admit prima facie that Japanese model sounds a winner 👍

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    how much is the average driver paid?
    About a million pounds a year.

In Wales

Drivers Pay
    £36,500 to £54,000

The pay rates given below are approximate.

Starting: £36,500 - £50,500
    With experience: £52,000 - £54,000
    Senior Train Drivers earn £56,000 - £61,000
    Hrs 40 hours a week (variable) Evenings, Weekends and Bank Holidays
    Shifts that could include nights
    Train Drivers usually work a 35-40 hour week, which will include shift work, evenings, weekends and public holidays.
    Overtime is common. fill yer boots ..

Conductors and Station Customer Service Assistants:

Pay £28,500 to £ 37k .

Starting: £28,500 - £30,500
    With experience: £32,500 - £37,000
    Senior Train Managers earn £40,000 - £43,000

and overtime ..

The rest of the country will be on much more poor folks enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I have to admit prima facie that Japanese model sounds a winner 👍
    I agree completely.
    Not sure it would work here though, they'd probably get canned for not taking fares.

The difference for me in this case is that for almost 2 years, the industry they worked in was absolutely on it's arse - at some points passenger numbers fell to 5% of the norm. In any normal circumstance they would all have been out of a job.

They weren't because the govt stepped in using borrowed money, paid by all of us to keep the industry afloat and people in jobs, mortgages paid etc.

Covid changed things. Also, if everyone gets 10%+ pay rises, you don't overcome inflation, you merely become it. And prolong it.

In my work, we've been offered between 9 and 3%, the 9% refering to those on lower salaries. The general consensus is to take it

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The difference for me in this case is that for almost 2 years, the industry they worked in was absolutely on it's arse - at some points passenger numbers fell to 5% of the norm. In any normal circumstance they would all have been out of a job.

They weren't because the govt stepped in using borrowed money, paid by all of us to keep the industry afloat and people in jobs, mortgages paid etc.

Covid changed things. Also, if everyone gets 10%+ pay rises, you don't overcome inflation, you merely become it. And prolong it.

In my work, we've been offered between 9 and 3%, the 9% refering to those on lower salaries. The general consensus is to take it
    The borrowed money was 330 billion quid of QE. The BoE is part of the British state. It has no money. But does have the authority to create as much money from thin air as it cares to. They then make it available to the Treasury.

QE means pretending to borrow money from yourself while never repaying a penny of the principal or interest on it.

If the citizens caught on to how this scheme operates they would rightly ask why they are forced to pay any taxes.

PM May said there was no magic money tree. She lied, there is, it's called QE.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The borrowed money was 330 billion quid of QE. The BoE is part of the British state. It has no money. But does have the authority to create as much money from thin air as it cares to. They then make it available to the Treasury.

QE means pretending to borrow money from yourself while never repaying a penny of the principal or interest on it.

If the citizens caught on to how this scheme operates they would rightly ask why they are forced to pay any taxes.

PM May said there was no magic money tree. She lied, there is, it's called QE.
    you don't know what QE is do you?

you don't know what QE is do you?
    Yes, I do. That was the simple version. The roundabout way is the BoE purchasing bonds... 895 billion pounds of them since 2009 from, again, funny money they had created from precisely nothing.

I recall schooling you on this subject when your username was Feedback.

Yes, I do. That was the simple version. The roundabout way is the BoE purchasing bonds... 895 billion pounds of them since 2009 from, again, funny money they had created from precisely nothing.

I recall schooling you on this subject when your username was Feedback.
    You've never schooled anyone and here you're confirming you're bereft of any kind of knowledge.

Do you realise the BoE keeps cash reserves? Which bank do you think all your taxes are paid to?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Considering the amount of disruption that arises from a few days of strikes every month or so, it would seem the government made the right call stepping in to stop half the drivers losing their jobs and a multitude of rail operators going bust.

You've never schooled anyone and here you're confirming you're bereft of any kind of knowledge.

Do you realise the BoE keeps cash reserves? Which bank do you think all your taxes are paid to?
    Are you going to dispute my contention that QE is the state pretending to borrow money from itself?

Are you seriously suggesting the BoE had £330 billion going spare to purchase bonds during 2020, and £895 billion since 2009?

Care to dispute .gov haven't repaid a single penny of that enormous sum?

Staying with the BoE, there's speculation it's state owned in name only as it's a head scratcher that anything can be said in the Commons under Parliamentary Privilege except for mention of who the BoE nominees might be. It's been so since 1979 and Jim 'crisis, what crisis?' Callaghan's admin.

Are you going to dispute my contention that QE is the state pretending to borrow money from itself?

Are you seriously suggesting the BoE had £330 billion going spare to purchase bonds during 2020, and £895 billion since 2009?

Care to dispute .gov haven't repaid a single penny of that enormous sum?

Staying with the BoE, there's speculation it's state owned in name only as it's a head scratcher that anything can be said in the Commons under Parliamentary Privilege except for mention of who the BoE nominees might be. It's been so since 1979 and Jim 'crisis, what crisis?' Callaghan's admin.
    QE is the BoE buying back gilts increasing liquidity in the system. Its like your bank paying off your mortgage. Your bank can only do this if it has sufficient reserves and credibility. The BoE has both

Gilts are bought and sold every day. The gilt market is worth over £2trn.

The BoE also has every other banks sterling deposits to call upon on its balance sheet, charging interest on the holdings. That's where its money comes from

QE is counterfeiting by another name and is a convoluted process of a central bank lending magic money tree dough to its own government which is never repaid. It's debauching the currency. How you can defend this obvious sleight of hand is concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Considering the amount of disruption that arises from a few days of strikes every month or so, it would seem the government made the right call stepping in to stop half the drivers losing their jobs and a multitude of rail operators going bust.
    Yes, they absolutely did.

QE is counterfeiting by another name and is a convoluted process of a central bank lending magic money tree dough to its own government which is never repaid. It's debauching the currency. How you can defend this obvious sleight of hand is concerning.
    As I said, you don't know what QE is do you. QE is a way of manipulating interest rates to create economic activity, whilst not causing inflation, which is what printing money does.