+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid and Qatar

Covid and Qatar

Such a ballache this World Cup.

https://www.qatar2022.qa/en/news/cov...fifa-world-cup

Also an issue with me bringing in legally prescribed medication.

Giving serious consideration to chinning it off.

Re: Covid and Qatar

Never mind COVID, this will be a nightmare world cup full stop.
    Ball-ache is an understatement.
    Not sure why people even want to go to be honest.

I know we're playing there obviously, but they'll make it an absolute nightmare.
    This might well be the first ever "no fun" football tournament ever.

I'd love to be there, but I'd rather not go through the BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post

I know we're playing there obviously, but they'll make it an absolute nightmare.

Its just because we've done it after so many efforts.
    I couldn't go to France in 2016, my Mother died a couple of months before and I was back in Wales for Around 6 weeks...so didn't have any vacation time.

Obviously Covid cocked up the last one.

Now this bollocks.

I wouldn’t go if someone offered to pay for me. A backward country still living in the dark ages is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post

Not for me. Going to go away for a week and watch the Wales games in a bar in Italy or somewhere.

Yet to meet anyone who is going

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Not for me. Going to go away for a week and watch the Wales games in a bar in Italy or somewhere.
    Most sensible thing to do I think, go abroad elsewhere and watch it somewhere in a bar, hassle-free!

Fair enough for the people going but there is absolutely no way I can justify those costs. Thousands of pounds to go to a sterile city sized shopping centre in a country where I'd be constantly worried about breaking some obscure law and ending up in a Qatari jail. No thank you.
    From snippets I've read and heard, a week out in Qatar would be around about a months wages for me.

Germany 2024 will be a fraction of the cost and be a much greater atmosphere and I'll probably go regardless of if we qualify. The RWC in France in 2023 is also tempting me.

I had a great time in 2016 in Coopers Field and in the pubs in town and I'm looking forward to doing the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I wouldn’t go if someone offered to pay for me. A backward country still living in the dark ages is not for me.
    I didn't realise England was hosting it.

I never really gave it any serious consideration really. Even at say £1,500, it's unaffordable. I would enjoy some sun I guess, but the rest of it doesn't appeal much

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Its just because we've done it after so many efforts.
    I couldn't go to France in 2016, my Mother died a couple of months before and I was back in Wales for Around 6 weeks...so didn't have any vacation time.

Obviously Covid cocked up the last one.

Now this bollocks.
    I’m still disappointed about the Euros and had tickets for the Italy game in Rome. I think Qatar will be very stressful for a lot of people and it’ll be a huge culture shock. I’ve said enough about all the other bollox about the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I’m still disappointed about the Euros and had tickets for the Italy game in Rome. I think Qatar will be very stressful for a lot of people and it’ll be a huge culture shock. I’ve said enough about all the other bollox about the tournament.
    I am sure we agree on the general points about the world cup being there, and it doesn't appeal to me etc, but I'm not sure why it will be stressful as such. A mate of mine is going with daily flights from Dubai. It's gonna be different, and less enjoyable etc but I'm not sure he's envisaging it being stressful as such.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I am sure we agree on the general points about the world cup being there, and it doesn't appeal to me etc, but I'm not sure why it will be stressful as such. A mate of mine is going with daily flights from Dubai. It's gonna be different, and less enjoyable etc but I'm not sure he's envisaging it being stressful as such.
    It's stressful if you like a beer...
    Last I read, (not sure if true mind) was that it might hit you for as much as £15 a pint!
    Imagine going all that way, paying £15 for numerous pints of watered-down Fosters, and you can't even piss in a bush 😭

If anyone is part of or has family and friends who are part of the LGBTQ+ community, or is female, I’d say it will be pretty stressful.

I get why people are doing it that way but it’s just madness to me. Spending all that money to spend half your holiday in airports and on planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I get why people are doing it that way but it’s just madness to me. Spending all that money to spend half your holiday in airports and on planes.
    I’d definitely find the travel stressful too these days.

I don't like the look of that covid app it's full-on 1984 tracking your every move, and reading the user comments it looks like it doesn't work too well either, and it could seriously mess up your trip. People are complaining that they can't go to work because of errors with the app, and the user support is poor to non-existent leaving them in limbo. It sounds like a nightmare considering the app is required to enter every facility or building (including shops, etc.). The real kicker is if you do get pinged then you have to quarantine.

Disclaimer: I think that's a fair summary, but do your own investigation as I may have got some of the details wrong!

It has cost a fair whack.
    The accommodation is a primitive hut.

I could do without a drink for a few days, the medication is a concern and a letter from my Dr will be provided to show that its necessary.

Now it seems that to be in the lap of the gods with a test for something that I've already had as well as having 3 jabs for with a 4th lined up which was the previous requirement.

I just want to see Wales at a major tournament!

More expensive and more logistically difficult than other tournaments and a less enjoyable experience at the same time. A number of uncertainties, human rights issues and, according to certain sources, washed down with only 0% beer available at the stadium.
    Let's hope that Wales make it to Germany, which should be the real deal.

You can drink at the fan parks which charge £75 per day for entry, trouble is when you're making your way home half cut and bump into the wrong copper

Do you want to enlighten us on prescribed medication? I know that if I would have been Honest with the USA customs with my legally prescribed meds back in the 90's I would have been on the first plane back to blighty.

Yes another hurdle to jump over - they aren't making it easy.

That said, seeing as this is potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity for me (my Dad never managed it for example), I'm not going to miss it and can't wait.

That is what I'm doing with my boys - it will be different and stupidly expensive, but a lot of the negative comments being made sound very bitter.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Yes another hurdle to jump over - they aren't making it easy.

That said, seeing as this is potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity for me (my Dad never managed it for example), I'm not going to miss it and can't wait.
    It's a no for me, Bale will be injured and I don't think we will get out of the group, will we even win a game?

I don't fancy our chances although apparantly the US are terrible, so maybe that game?

People are saying Iran are OK?

It just seems too much money for a poor experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    That is what I'm doing with my boys - it will be different and stupidly expensive, but a lot of the negative comments being made sound very bitter.
    No doubt those who go will have a great time, you and your boys included. Proper once in a lifetime stuff (until we qualify again hopefully ) but don't think its bitter for people to point out a lot of the shortcomings of Qatar hosting this World Cup. Mind you, people said Russia was going to be terrible and it had generally speaking glowing reports so hopefully for all going Qatar will end up the same way.