+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid and Qatar

Re: Covid and Qatar

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It's a no for me, Bale will be injured and I don't think we will get out of the group, will we even win a game?

I don't fancy our chances although apparantly the US are terrible, so maybe that game?

People are saying Iran are OK?

It just seems too much money for a poor experience?
    Yeah, we aren't as strong as 2016 (Ramsay and Bale haven't aged well...) but being there for the games will be fantastic. Who WOULDN'T want to be at Wales' first WC games in 64 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I get why people are doing it that way but it’s just madness to me. Spending all that money to spend half your holiday in airports and on planes.
    It just depends how much you want to go I suppose.

I'm always surprised when I meet fellow Wales fans who talk about the Euros in 2016 and I of course I ask if they went - more often than not the answer is no. Well a major tournament doesn't get much closer than France so how badly DO you want to see Wales play?

It is a simple choice, and not going doesn't make you any less of a fan of course, but dredging up every single reason NOT to go is rather sad - just be happy for those who ARE going. We may not play in a WC for another 64 years......

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    No doubt those who go will have a great time, you and your boys included. Proper once in a lifetime stuff (until we qualify again hopefully ) but don't think its bitter for people to point out a lot of the shortcomings of Qatar hosting this World Cup. Mind you, people said Russia was going to be terrible and it had generally speaking glowing reports so hopefully for all going Qatar will end up the same way.
    Yes quite

See my post below about people being bitter - maybe that isn't the correct word.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You can drink at the fan parks which charge £75 per day for entry, trouble is when you're making your way home half cut and bump into the wrong copper
    Free bar i take it!

Of the Wales fans I know going, i don't know any actually staying in Qatar and with Journalist complaining a year ago that there was no accommodation, its probably only FIFA delegates in Qatar and the squads. Everybody else is in another country.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Yeah, we aren't as strong as 2016 (Ramsay and Bale haven't aged well...) but being there for the games will be fantastic. Who WOULDN'T want to be at Wales' first WC games in 64 years?
    Fair enough good point, it could well be a once in a lifetime, I hope you all have a great time

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Do you want to enlighten us on prescribed medication? I know that if I would have been Honest with the USA customs with my legally prescribed meds back in the 90's I would have been on the first plane back to blighty.
    (i) It is prohibited to carry medicines which contain narcotics or psychotropic substances while arriving in the State of Qatar. These include medicines like – Lyrica, Tramadol, Alprazolam (Xanax), Diazepam (Valium), Zolam, Clonazepam, Zolpidem, Codeine, Methadone, Pregabalin.

Yes another hurdle to jump over - they aren't making it easy.

That said, seeing as this is potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity for me (my Dad never managed it for example), I'm not going to miss it and can't wait.
    They certainly aren't!
    I'm flying to Heathrow on 17th couple of days in Wales and then out to Doha from Heathrow.
    May look to get to Wales a bit earlier and just isolate.

Coming across a bit "holier than thou" with your posts mate.

I'd love to be there, it's quite literally a once in a lifetime experience for pretty much everyone I know. But when costs come into it I don't see the value in going compared to watching it here or maybe out in Europe. Qatar and Dubai have zero interest to me as holiday destinations and the faff of getting to games by flying into Qatar each time isn't something I'd want to be doing on my holiday.

A few years back I spent a shit load travelling round Europe staying in grotty hostels, sleeping in train stations and getting hammered in dodgy bars. For the same price I could've flown over and stayed in a swanky hotel in New York for a week. I know loads would prefer that to what I did but for me it was worth the money. Just like for you going to the World Cup is worth it whereas for others it isn't.

I'm sure it'll be a brilliant experience for you and all who make the long journey, hopefully we put in a respectable performance on the big stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    A few years back I spent a shit load travelling round Europe staying in grotty hostels, sleeping in train stations and getting hammered in dodgy bars.
    It sounds like a scene out of Withnail and I

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It sounds like a scene out of Withnail and I
    It's a classic to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    (i) It is prohibited to carry medicines which contain narcotics or psychotropic substances while arriving in the State of Qatar. These include medicines like – Lyrica, Tramadol, Alprazolam (Xanax), Diazepam (Valium), Zolam, Clonazepam, Zolpidem, Codeine, Methadone, Pregabalin.
    Yeah I hear you DC, it was methadone for me at the time, if I would have declared I wouldn’t have got in USA so I filled a shampoo bottle up instead.
    Seriously though I suppose you have to respect and adhere to the country’s rules or take a risk and be willing to pay the price if it goes tits up.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Yeah I hear you DC, it was methadone for me at the time, if I would have declared I wouldn’t have got in USA so I filled a shampoo bottle up instead.
    Seriously though I suppose you have to respect and adhere to the country’s rules or take a risk and be willing to pay the price if it goes tits up.
    I guess so...it's just highlights yet again the idiocy/corruption of FIFA.

Here is some more information from someone who lives in Dubai and she works for Emirates, they have to get PCR tests and there are many test centres that do 4,6,8 and 12 hr tests ranging from £25. It is a nightmare, we don't know how many based in Dubai, estimates range from 300+, but it is other countries on top that will increase the numbers, we know 1,300 definitely based in Doha.

Such a ballache this World Cup.

https://www.qatar2022.qa/en/news/cov...fifa-world-cup

Also an issue with me bringing in legally prescribed medication.

Giving serious consideration to chinning it off.
    Same here mate. You have to ask yourself, is it really with the hassle.
    Spedger

So if your staying in Dubai and travelling in for matches youd need a test everytime you re-enter Qatar.?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    So if your staying in Dubai and travelling in for matches youd need a test everytime you re-enter Qatar.?
    That seems to be the case.

That seems to be the case.
    And you have to use the compulsory Ehteraz app at all times, which doesn't seem to work properly according to some people living in Qatar. What happens if you get to the stadium and the app has a glitch?

Some absolute horror stories about tourists who have tried to sneak in prohibited meds to Dubai or just weren't aware that they weren't allowed, we were told in no uncertain terms not to even try by multiple people who have lived and worked there when we went a few years ago. Looks like the minimum sentence for Qatar might be 3 to 7 years given a quick google, not sure I'd risk that.

Is it now too late for the tournament to be moved to a more people friendly non corrupt place?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Is it now too late for the tournament to be moved to a more people friendly non corrupt place?
    what do you think is the answer to this question chum

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    what do you think is the answer to this question chum
    Go and watch the games in Italy with Mr Morris? It would certainly be a lot more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    How big is your cheque book?

I just noticed something else about the Ehteraz app policy.

• Diplomats, administrative card holders and VIP visitors arriving on official state visits are excluded from this measure. ​

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I just noticed something else about the Ehteraz app policy.

• Diplomats, administrative card holders and VIP visitors arriving on official state visits are excluded from this measure. ​
    Funny that , it was the same with the vaccine passports for M.Ps in Parliament when the plebs had to show them https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-cummings-tax/

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Funny that , it was the same with the vaccine passports for M.Ps in Parliament when the plebs had to show them https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-cummings-tax/
    Yep, only the plebs can catch and spread Covid