Thread: Boro sack Wilder

Boro sack Wilder

Should we go for him?

Thoughts please

Re: Boro sack Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Should we go for him?

Thoughts please
    He was being lauded as the best manager in the division in August!

It should be noted that Wilder's reputation before he went to Sheffield United was probably that of a good, but not brilliant. lower division manager and it'll be interesteding to see what sort of club goes in for him if he wants to continue as a manager after what has to be seen as a real flop at Middlesbrough.

I suspect that there'll still be clubs looking at what he did in getting Sheffield United promoted to the Premier League and then what he did in their first season there, but they seemed to get found out tactically by other Premier League managers during that break of three months or so when no football was played because of Covid and they were never the same again - they were also doing nothing in the Championship after relegation with Wilder in charge.

Should we go in for him? It's a toss of a coin job for me, but, if pushed, I think I might if the decision was mine to make. However, I can't see it happening for two reasons. First, we could have gone for him after McCarthy was sacked and it seemed that he did not want to come here (rightly or wrongly, I think there are quite a few managers who have misgivings about working for Vincent Tan) and, second, I still think he might be out of our price range given what we spent on Robinson and the compensation we paid McCarthy.

I expect he’ll have his turn at managing Watford in a few months - for a few months.

Chris Wilder: Middlesbrough sack manager with club in Championship bottom three:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63116336

He also spent around £40M on that twat McBurnie and Brewster, it's a No from me

This has been a particularly brutal start to the season for Championship managers.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Exactly. We're going to need a bigger barge-pole at City with all these sacked managers in the mix.

Will Bruce be next ?

I think they should all be tried on rotation on a game-by-game basis and then the fans vote them in or out. Love Manager 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Will Bruce be next ?
    I think he'll be gone after the next three games, Preston, Luton and Reading. It's a big 'NO' from me when he becomes available

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I think he'll be gone after the next three games, Preston, Luton and Reading. It's a big 'NO' from me when he becomes available
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement from West Brom later today.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Brewster looked a very good player at the time and Sheff United were crying out for a striker, didn't work out though for whatever reason. if he'd have lived up to the potential they would still be in the premier League.
    McBurnie never looked like a good player to me, I am not in the least bit surprised that he wasn't able to follow up a freak season.

I'd take him all day ahead of Hudson.
    One is proven at this level, one isn't.

Would he come here with Tan's new tactics of trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with the small change from the back of his sofa? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement from West Brom later today.
    I definitely wouldn't want their manager

Rob Edwards linked with the Boro job

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

Would he come here with Tan's new tactics of trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with the small change from the back of his sofa? I doubt it.
    Except he’s taken Middlesbrough into the bottom three, which Steve Morison did not with us.

Boro just not the right for for him it would seem, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Surprised at how poor they have been this season, did they invest much over the summer?

I’d still take Wilder although there are others I would prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Brewster looked a very good player at the time and Sheff United were crying out for a striker, didn't work out though for whatever reason. if he'd have lived up to the potential they would still be in the premier League.
    McBurnie never looked like a good player to me, I am not in the least bit surprised that he wasn't able to follow up a freak season.
    McBurnie has 5 in 9 games, definitely in that Cameron Jerome class of quality in the Championship, sh1te in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    McBurnie has 5 in 9 games, definitely in that Cameron Jerome class of quality in the Championship, sh1te in the Premier League.
    I would go further than that and say he's shite but inexplicably effective in the championship, and just shite in the premier League

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

Your joking, He's a walking, talking example of a manager with a big reputation who doesn't guarantee success but will effortlessly spend a clubs money. I'll bet they wouldn't be where they are now if they'd have kept Warnock. One of these people that will only take a job with a big budget. Someone will go in there on half his salary and probably get them in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Your joking, He's a walking, talking example of a manager with a big reputation who doesn't guarantee success but will effortlessly spend a clubs money. I'll bet they wouldn't be where they are now if they'd have kept Warnock. One of these people that will only take a job with a big budget. Someone will go in there on half his salary and probably get them in the playoffs.
    Give the choice of Chris Wilder, promotion winning manager who had them doing well there for a season, or Mark Hudson then yes I would pick Wilder every time.

You're also right about not being where they are if Warnock was there. That two season stay in the Premier League would have been halved for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    he didn't spend big at
    Sheffield United, they got promoted and competed well in the premier League by being tactically innovative.
    until it stopped working - was that because other teams worked out the formation, or did the lack of quality players, especially up front eventually tell.

not seen enough of Middlesbrough to say why it didn't work out there, that's the question is want answering really before I would consider bringing him here (if it was up to me).

if he stuck with his Sheff utd tactics, how would that work here?

one sweeper and 2 overlapping centre backs
    wingbacks,
    3 central midfielders, one more defensively minded and 2 up front.

I think NG can do the overlapping centre back role - not sure about Simpson but maybe he could be coached into it, as not sure Sheff utds CBS were anything special.

wingbacks are ok I guess, with the usual concerns about the Everton lad defensively.

3 cm probably suits us, and 2 up front probably suits our strikers.
    wouldn't be any room for our wingers though, unless we go one up front and lose a CM to accommodate a front 3
    his team's tended to focus on getting back to a compact shape rather than pressing high out of possession - which is something we aren't bad at, but either way can work.

would be interesting to see if he does get the job

What I don't get about the 'the manager spent all Tan's money' noises from some is that these were signings ratified by the self proclaimed transfer committee.

Is it a case of when the signing turns out well they were very hands on with the decision process but if they turn out a bit of a dud they distance themselves from it? You can't have it both ways surely.

Listening to Boro fans, it seems that he steadfastly refused to deviate from his Plan A, even when opposition teams had worked it out. If I remember, Sheff Utd fans also had similar complaints in their second PL season, which was a bit of a cluster****.

From a boardroom and budgeting perspective, he seems to have garnered a bit of a reputation for being a managerial diva, too (which is surprising given his work at Northampton).

So, in short, given what he'd likely want to come here, and the direction his career seems to be headed in, I'd prefer to look elsewhere.