+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First day of retirement

Re: First day of retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Watching 'The Chase' is a bad sign, TV should not be on at that time of the day. Waiting to 'pop' TV.
    My son won £6.6K on the Chase a few years ago. Him and 2 others beat Paul Sinha and took home £20K between them

First Team

I retire in January.

Not going to miss all the travelling and separation from family and friends for prolonged periods.

The job has taken a lot out of me ,especially in the last few years , and I simply have had enough.

The drop in income is considerable and therefore a concern so will probably downsize and release some equity.

No idea how I am going to fill the time but the grandchildren may benefit coupled with some volunteer stuff.

Although money became very tight for a while, I've never regretted taking up an offer of voluntary redundancy thirteen years ago at fifty three. My attempt to start a business of my own failed (I'd set a strict limit on how much I was going to spend on it and packed up as soon as it hit that figure), so I've basically indulged one of my life long loves, writing, and done a small amount of voluntary work since then.

You can only speak from personal experience and, in my case, the transition to retirement was never the problem I was told it would be..

I left my job aged 50, 12 years ago without really wanting to work again and for the first years it was good fun. When the second winter came about, I started to get bored and now have a part time job, so many days a month. We also got a dog, a year after I finished, against my better judgement, but wouldn’t be without him now, as I take him out most days.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Dishes done ,hoovering done,dinner ready for tonight.How do women manage to do all of this and still work
    It is going to be a long haul.
    A lovelly day hopefully many more to come.
    I 'retired' on Friday. Back in work today

Seriously, self employed and handing over my business to a father and son who have been with me for over 20 years.

I've had a fairly easy summer and dropped a day in April which I absolutely loved. First time in 42 years I'd had time off without going away or having to do other jobs.

I expected a transitional period and am fine with carrying doing the odd job as I enjoyed the job itself but running the business and two subbies was too much for mind and body in the end.

Will try and relax over the next 6 months and see where I'm at in the Spring.

Enjoy every minute of it you have no doubt earned it, pop to pub, betting shop, takeaway watch city tonight, dont want to wear yourself out !!

International

Dishes done ,hoovering done,dinner ready for tonight.How do women manage to do all of this and still work
    How old are you?

International

Nope 66yrs old,one knee is knackered.
    they did want me to stay part time but no xtra money.
    Sorry just seen, good luck with it

International

I think covid and furlough has resulted in so many earlier than planned retirements, people have realised there is more to life than work, I'll go in the next year or two.

Just completed my first year of retirement and I have had a fantastic time filling with old interests and activities and some new ones too.
    You never know when you make be struck down with ill-health of when the Grim Reaper will call - so fill your boots and help those who support it at the same time, I say.
    I have never looked back for one minute.
    It's like Christmas every day

I retired 24yrs ago, after not missing one days work in the time I was working, I was always busy doing something mainly with my wife, day trips, weekend trips, looking after the grand children, till she past away last year.

Now at 89yrs old I have just joined a mans shed in Caerphilly and really enjoy the company of my new friends and then a few beers after.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    I retired 24yrs ago, after not missing one days work in the time I was working, I was always busy doing something mainly with my wife, day trips, weekend trips, looking after the grand children, till she past away last year.

Now at 89yrs old I have just joined a mans shed in Caerphilly and really enjoy the company of my new friends and then a few beers after.
    Hope i live as long as you,sorry about your wife but it looks as if you have a good social life hope it continues for a long time.

Thank you much appreciated

Wow...cannot quite compete with Rontomuk, but the motto is....DO NOT stagnate...DO something!!!
    It’s good to know how other contributor’s lives have gone......makes the board more personal.

In my own case....I retired (forcibly because of takeover....) in 2004 and officially in 2012. In the meantime I tried property development (failed...but still proud of what I rescued in an old barn on the heritage coast....)...then started a website Design company libertybs.co.uk...which I still run today...)

Sadly my wife of 40 years died very suddenly in January 2011. We always said that whoever was left must make a new life. This I did....no children by first marriage.....few years later I met and married a Thai girl less than half my age ....(yeah..right...)...and am now the proud dad of two fine sons aged 9.5 and 3.5 years.....!!! They keep me young – and I am lucky enough at 75 to be pretty healthy....and we are blissfully happy.

Living the life in the Dordogne in France, I am now selling my house....too big...too much land to look after.....but not stagnating. We plan to buy some land locally and build a new contemporary house more in keeping with our needs.
    Life is certainly not one of complete leisure.....up around 9:30...read all news etc online with breakfast. Work around the garden and woodland until about 2pm..... then around 4pm....settle down on the front terrace with a good book and a few glassed of wine.....parfait..!

C’est la vie...!”

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Wow...cannot quite compete with Rontomuk, but the motto is....DO NOT stagnate...DO something!!!
    It’s good to know how other contributor’s lives have gone......makes the board more personal.

In my own case....I retired (forcibly because of takeover....) in 2004 and officially in 2012. In the meantime I tried property development (failed...but still proud of what I rescued in an old barn on the heritage coast....)...then started a website Design company libertybs.co.uk...which I still run today...)

Sadly my wife of 40 years died very suddenly in January 2011. We always said that whoever was left must make a new life. This I did....no children by first marriage.....few years later I met and married a Thai girl less than half my age ....(yeah..right...)...and am now the proud dad of two fine sons aged 9.5 and 3.5 years.....!!! They keep me young – and I am lucky enough at 75 to be pretty healthy....and we are blissfully happy.

Living the life in the Dordogne in France, I am now selling my house....too big...too much land to look after.....but not stagnating. We plan to buy some land locally and build a new contemporary house more in keeping with our needs.
    Life is certainly not one of complete leisure.....up around 9:30...read all news etc online with breakfast. Work around the garden and woodland until about 2pm..... then around 4pm....settle down on the front terrace with a good book and a few glassed of wine.....parfait..!

C’est la vie...!”
    Capture.jpg

Some DNS changes needed

How did that happen...must have been a temporary glitch...it's ok now....!!

I took up guitar playing. I mistakenly thought with practice, practice and more practice it would be inevitable I'd become half decent. I set fire to the poxy thing in the end.

I had thought either Dai Gilmour or Chet Atkins must be the greatest guitarist who has ever drawn breath, but there's a young lady who has a youtube channel who's so incredibly gifted I may have to have a rethink. Here's her latest upload.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post

C’est la vie...!”
    Fait play, what a cracking story and life you have

Ah Richard...yes I remember you work in IT!! It transpired that in the process.of changing nameservers to Cloudflare an 'A' record did not transfer correctly!!! All done now....

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I took up guitar playing. I mistakenly thought with practice, practice and more practice it would be inevitable I'd become half decent. I set fire to the poxy thing in the end.

I had thought either Dai Gilmour or Chet Atkins must be the greatest guitarist who has ever drawn breath, but there's a young lady who has a youtube channel who's so incredibly gifted I may have to have a rethink. Here's her latest upload.

Very impressive 👏👏

Poor woman
    that odd bloke from the Tory heartland of Cowbridge
    is pm ing her already on FB asking if she can do some Tool
    that's simply brilliant.

I decided to sell my business and retire at the turn of the year . I do have a few years in the bank before retirement age.
    After thinking about it for a bit I decided to take a step back , promote people to take responsibility so the business could function without me.
    I now have the perfect scenario (for me ) where I go into work when I have a free day, deal with the stuff that perhaps needs my experience. Its amazing to watch my staff run my company in a far more organised way than i ever did ,because I had it all in my head.
    So I spend my free time walking coastal walks and mountains at home .
    Recently had my insurance renewal meeting with my insurance broker walking the Horseshoe route on Pen Y Fan .
    Off to Ireland next week for 9 days in my camper van
    Jumping on planes to see amazing parts of the world , or anywhere that there is something going on that I am interested in.
    It was a great decision for me , still feel I can contribute something, but have the freedom to do as I please . And have the income from my business and all the perks that go with it .

Hope you have a great retirement. Remember to prioritise the things that you always wanted to do, but never had the time to.

I retired just before Covid struck, and I'm now catching up on lost time and postponed travel. Currently spending a month touring Germany by rail with my history books and football tickets - something I've wanted to do for a long time!

I've joined a local gym/swimming pool which is attached to an hotel.They do spa days.There's some cracking women go to the spa days.
    I just wish I was 45 years younger.Four days down the gym,Walk on a Friday.Saturdays down the City,if we are away Saturday afternoon with Jeff Strelling.Bit of house work on a Sunday.
    I've found There's life after breakfast.

International

This is basically a pensioners City forum.