+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Whittingham Memorial Match - Wednesday 30 November

Peter Whittingham Memorial Match - Wednesday 30 November

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...ends-unite-pw7

Former team mates confirmed as part of the match/event include: David Marshall, Stephen McPhail, Matt Connolly, Stuart O’Keefe, Ben Turner, Mark Hudson, and Sean Morrison.

James Whittingham (brother):

“Peter was always first to comment on how fortunate he was and how lady luck had shined on him and how his life evolved; many will say Peter gave a lot, but he always felt he received a lot back. We wanted to give back via the PW7 Foundation to some of those establishments that Peter benefitted from during his life in terms of Cardiff City Foundation and his old school [King Henry VIII]; then there’s Winston’s Wish (a child bereavement charity that supported Amanda) who have been tremendously supportive. I’d also like to think that one day, his boys may even run the Foundation and I love the idea of it taking on a life of its own so that in time they can fly the flag themselves in his memory.

“So, these are the main ideas behind this game; we are looking to have a celebration and remember the positives in Peter’s life. That’s what he would want, we think; he wasn’t the sort of person that would have wanted us sitting here moping around. He wanted to enjoy himself and wanted everybody around him to enjoy themselves.”

Amanda Whittingham (wife):

“Cardiff always felt special; even when he left the club, it always made sense to come back here [at the end of his career]. There were options to move away but we always liked being here. The messages of support we’ve received and the support for the Foundation has been lovely, and it really touches my heart that people thought so much of Pete and would think to do that. Nobody ever expects to find themselves in these positions, but it’s been comforting to have charities like Winston’s Wish easily accessible and of course the support of all those who have reached out to us.”

David Marshall:

“This is a celebration of not only a great player but a great person. Pete wouldn’t have wanted a fuss as we all know, but if there’s anybody more deserving of it then I just can’t think of one.

“For somebody so talented he was so humble and unassuming and had a fantastic personality; I’m sure we’ll have a great evening on the 30th in his memory. Pete gave us so many memories as players, staff, and fans and this is a chance to remember him and give some memories back to his family.

“I spoke to Steve [Borley] recently about Pete’s highlight reel and I think he has to go down as the best Championship player ever; this game also gives a new generation of Cardiff fans and young players to remember him and try and emulate him.”

Steve Borley:

“The compilation of the goals he scored is incredible and he never used to score tap-ins! Every goal he scored was incredible and if he had Messi on his back, you wouldn’t have been surprised. He brought quality and the unexpected to the field and was rightly recognised by his peers in football during his life. He spent 10 years with us and the EFL named him in their team of the decade in 2015 which only goes to show how highly he was thought of. No matter what club you supported, you could never forget some of the goals he scored against you as they were something else.

“Peter brought so much joy to people’s lives, but he did it all so matter of fact; he’d score a goal and then stand there without celebrating. He was quiet, unassuming, and humble but always had time for the kids and the fans. He was an incredible character and I feel blessed to have seen him; over 60 years supporting the club I’ve never seen a player that entertained me and left such a memory with me. His goalscoring record as a midfielder is incredible and it was also incredible that we kept him here for so long! He loved the club though and the surroundings; he could have got moves to Premier League clubs over the years, but he always wanted to stay here, where he felt wanted.

“I’d like to thank Aston Villa for agreeing to play us in Peter’s memory, we’re very pleased with that. I’ll never forget the reception he got from the Villa fans in 2013 when he returned as a Premier League player having been away for six years; I like to think that on that day he realised what he meant to people. We wanted this to be more than just a pre-season friendly and I think Villa do as well, so this gives us the opportunity to do that in a competitive and meaningful way. There’ll be a bit of fun involved with some of the ex-players and team-mates on the day too, but Peter deserved more than just a friendly match.”

Re: Peter Whittingham Memorial Match - Wednesday 30 November

Shamelessly stolen from the CCMB twitter but this is lovely to see

https://twitter.com/cardiffcitymad/s...pJWb4pqb89S0RQ

Looks like tickets are selling really well

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    They are. Bought a couple this morning. Not a lot of choice. Suggest anyone who hasn't bought theirs to get in quick.

From the remaining seats it looks like the club have only been selling every other row. A lot less sold than it looks if that's the case. Only 2500 gone by my estimate. Still 8 weeks to go so not a surprise there's been slow sales.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...licly-25173332

Other names mentioned in the WOL piece for the match/event are Anthony Pilkington, Tony Capaldi, Ross McCormack and Darren Purse.

All these words and the current publicity surrounding this make me think of the at best insensitive and at worst downright sickening criticism of the event that was made on this board at the time the game was first announced. Anyone who follows this club, no matter where they live and has an ounce of decency would get online right now and buy a ticket to come along on November 30th to celebrate the life of one of the best players that we are ever likely to have the privilege to watch and support his family and friends. We should, by rights, bloody well fill the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    All these words and the current publicity surrounding this make me think of the at best insensitive and at worst downright sickening criticism of the event that was made on this board at the time the game was first announced. Anyone who follows this club, no matter where they live and has an ounce of decency would get online right now and buy a ticket to come along on November 30th to celebrate the life of one of the best players that we are ever likely to have the privilege to watch and support his family and friends. We should, by rights, bloody well fill the stadium.
    Nearly 70 years of age going by your username and you’re actually coming out with such dimwitted comments.

So I’ll bite, you’d like me to come from Streatham on a Wednesday night with no AL remaining for the year and get back how exactly in time for work the next day? Not that simple as to just turn up and go if you don’t live in Cardiff.

When the stadium is only half full the club will only have themselves to blame, it should’ve been on a Saturday. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Nearly 70 years of age going by your username and you’re actually coming out with such dimwitted comments.

So I’ll bite, you’d like me to come from Streatham on a Wednesday night with no AL remaining for the year and get back how exactly in time for work the next day? Not that simple as to just turn up and go if you don’t live in Cardiff.

When the stadium is only half full the club will only have themselves to blame, it should’ve been on a Saturday. Simple.
    Clearly you don't have an ounce of decency. Those international fans better be getting those credit cards out as well

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post

I would love to have taken my boy to it but there's no way because of the trains. Even if we were fortunate and the last train ran up to Aberdare instead of having a replacement bus while the line is being dualled and electrified, getting off the train at twenty to midnight and walking a mile and a half is not an option for a 9 year old on a school night.

I won’t be going in a school night with my Six year old, shame it wasn’t a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    From the remaining seats it looks like the club have only been selling every other row. A lot less sold than it looks if that's the case. Only 2500 gone by my estimate. Still 8 weeks to go so not a surprise there's been slow sales.
    I'm baffled by that sorry. I was just going by the amount remaining in the two main sections of the Canton and Ninian. Why are all the other sections greyed out?

I'm baffled by that sorry. I was just going by the amount remaining in the two main sections of the Canton and Ninian. Why are all the other sections greyed out?
    Probably selling them section by section so the fans are all clustered together as opposed to 5000 people being spread out across a 33000 seater stadium. I thought it was almost sold out at first glance as well though

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Probably selling them section by section so the fans are all clustered together as opposed to 5000 people being spread out across a 33000 seater stadium. I thought it was almost sold out at first glance as well though
    That's what I thought when I bought tickets this morning. We're with the ruffians in the Canton stand and I'll not be sharing my halftime prawn sarnies with no rabble.

Same reason they do it for cup games, easier for crowd control and saves unnecessary costs. You only need to open 3 gates instead of all 12(?) Only need to open/run bars and kitchens where they're needed instead of across the entire stadium. Don't need to hire staff required for a 33,000 attendance when only 8,000 people are there.

I don't suppose there's anyone with any communication to the club that can see if the game can be changed to a weekend? The crowd will surely take a hit and a send off in the sun would be nicer than a quarter full stadium on a cold winter night.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I don't suppose there's anyone with any communication to the club that can see if the game can be changed to a weekend? The crowd will surely take a hit and a send off in the sun would be nicer than a quarter full stadium on a cold winter night.
    I concur with this , that said Villa would have to change plans as well which is unlikely

Thinking about it , I’m going to buy 3 tickets regardless , perhaps people who can’t attend could consider that option as a goodwill gesture?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I concur with this , that said Villa would have to change plans as well which is unlikely

Thinking about it , I’m going to buy 3 tickets regardless , perhaps people who can’t attend could consider that option as a goodwill gesture?
    Their fixtures before and after are the 13th of November and the 26th of December. You'd imagine they'd be able to move it by a couple of days without disrupting too many plans. Hopefully with enough pushback by fans the club will see sense. There's still 8 weeks so it's not too late

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That's what I thought when I bought tickets this morning. We're with the ruffians in the Canton stand and I'll not be sharing my halftime prawn sarnies with no rabble.
    We're treating ourselves to a sit down experience in the Ninian

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    So you will be sharing prawn sarnies with some rabble ... double negative.

I cant get into my ticket account, can someone tell me how much tickets are please?

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I cant get into my ticket account, can someone tell me how much tickets are please?
    adults 9 quid, young adults & seniors 6 and kids 4 quid

add another £ on the price for real tickets I believe

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    You need to create a new account....It's a different system to the regular City e-ticketing site.
    I bought mine back in August and paid £10 Adult & £7 16-21yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    So you will be sharing prawn sarnies with some rabble ... double negative.
    You're clearly not part of the riff raff. Proper grammar for the win! I'll pack some extras.

I’ll be getting a ticket but if ToTal ITK gives me the ok I won’t be able to attend as I’ll be in Tenerife.