+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our wage bill.

Our wage bill.

Apparently, the Sky commentator for Tuesday’s game said City’s wage bill for this season is among the bottom third in the Championship. Do you think that’s right? My initial reaction was that I’d agree if he’d said bottom half, but, thinking about it more, it’s probably true.

Re: Our wage bill.

The Premier League yo-yos and recent relegated teams definitely do. So that’s already ~8 teams with certainly higher wage bills. It wouldn’t surprise to here another 5 or 6 with higher wages. Without any proper consideration I would’ve guessed bottom half so 13th and below. If the reality is below 16th I can see it.

Not sure how in-depth Sky commentators knowledge would be. I’d be surprised if they knew the exact wage bill of all 24 clubs.

Yeah they did say that and I was surprised. Although it’s obviously reduced massively I felt that was more to do with us giving stupid wages previously. I still thought we paid well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Yeah they did say that and I was surprised. Although it’s obviously reduced massively I felt that was more to do with us giving stupid wages previously. I still thought we paid well.
    Yes, that’s what I would have said.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I am not surprised, if you look at the squad it is a lot of free transfers, loans and young lads. Bar Nelson and Ralls, the other pros we had are signed from Crewe! I expect Robinson is on decent money but I'm not sure about the rest. This was Swiss Ramble's thread on us in April, our wage bill was 11th, and it has fallen year on year since then (he's using the accounts from 20-21 I think) https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/stat...66366992031746

Wasn't the talk at the end of last season and start of the summer that the club were introducing a £12k salary cap. Then that was revised in the local media (WOL) to 'an average' salary of £12k (though I think £14k was also quoted).

Then in the middle of the Bale hysteria the story was expanded to say that a significantly higher salary was possible for an exceptional player (Dalman subsequently said that if Bale had joined on the proposed deal he wouldn't have been the highest paid player!) but that across the first team squad the planned average salary ceiling would be maintained.

We have 30 first team squad players according to the club website (a lot for a Championship side) but some of them are just out of the Academy or are young projects like Turner, and probably on lowish salaries. That includes three loans in where we may not be paying all their salary (but probably are) and a few permanent signings where their former clubs who wanted to keep them claimed Cardiff was offering more than they could.

If that all adds up to 30 players at an average annual pay of (£12k x 52) £624k = £18.72m plus employer on costs = approx £24.5m

My gut feeling is that is higher than the real figure, but not sure where that would put us on the Championship 'wage bill' table - or whether that would include all employee wages, not just the first team.

Keith Morgan's Trust report on the latest annual accounts in March said that player wages in 2021 were £26m, down from £27.9m in 2020. I assume that is just salaries, not employer on costs? If my guess at this year's first team squad wage bill is right that is a major reduction in player costs from the past 2 years.

Has anyone seen a reliable comparison table or chart? Swiss Ramble maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Apparently, the Sky commentator for Tuesday’s game said City’s wage bill for this season is among the bottom third in the Championship. Do you think that’s right? My initial reaction was that I’d agree if he’d said bottom half, but, thinking about it more, it’s probably true.
    bottom half and bottom 3rd are only 3 positions, given the muchness of the muchness and the dark arts of non-disclosed fee...i don't think it's a big step either way really.

The thing about free transfers is that the player might ask for higher wages in lieu of the transfer fee and obviously we’ve signed a lot of those.
    Do the wages get publicised anywhere? I’m just wondering where the Sky guy got his info.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wasn't the talk at the end of last season and start of the summer that the club were introducing a £12k salary cap. Then that was revised in the local media (WOL) to 'an average' salary of £12k (though I think £14k was also quoted).

Then in the middle of the Bale hysteria the story was expanded to say that a significantly higher salary was possible for an exceptional player (Dalman subsequently said that if Bale had joined on the proposed deal he wouldn't have been the highest paid player!) but that across the first team squad the planned average salary ceiling would be maintained.

We have 30 first team squad players according to the club website (a lot for a Championship side) but some of them are just out of the Academy or are young projects like Turner, and probably on lowish salaries. That includes three loans in where we may not be paying all their salary (but probably are) and a few permanent signings where their former clubs who wanted to keep them claimed Cardiff was offering more than they could.

If that all adds up to 30 players at an average annual pay of (£12k x 52) £624k = £18.72m plus employer on costs = approx £24.5m

My gut feeling is that is higher than the real figure, but not sure where that would put us on the Championship 'wage bill' table - or whether that would include all employee wages, not just the first team.

Keith Morgan's Trust report on the latest annual accounts in March said that player wages in 2021 were £26m, down from £27.9m in 2020. I assume that is just salaries, not employer on costs? If my guess at this year's first team squad wage bill is right that is a major reduction in player costs from the past 2 years.

Has anyone seen a reliable comparison table or chart? Swiss Ramble maybe?
    I’d agree that your estimate might be on the high side.

Off the top of my heard I reckon Luton, Coventry, Blackpool , Reading , Wigan and Rotherham are the only clubs with a lower wage bill

I’d say the commentator is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Off the top of my heard I reckon Luton, Coventry, Blackpool , Reading , Wigan and Rotherham are the only clubs with a lower wage bill

I’d say the commentator is correct.
    The transfer embargo means we are limited to £16 million on wages so I guess we will have one of the lowest wages bills in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The transfer embargo means we are limited to £16 million on wages so I guess we will have one of the lowest wages bills in the Championship.
    20221006_162339.jpg

this was the case in 20/21, so only a handful of clubs lower than that, but the occasional one quite a bit lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    20221006_162339.jpg

this was the case in 20/21, so only a handful of clubs lower than that, but the occasional one quite a bit lower.
    Rotherham really low.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I suppose if asked, I wouldnt have thought we were in the bottom third, but it doesn't wildly surprise me