+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Frack or Sack

Back Frack or Sack

Yeah I stole that title.

Has a government ever whipped it's MPs to vote against a manifesto pledge before?

Re: Back Frack or Sack

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Yeah I stole that title.

Has a government ever whipped it's MPs to vote against a manifesto pledge before?
    It's quite astonishing. Makes good soap opera though. 🍿

Yeah I stole that title.

I’ve never been a fan, but, until fairly recently I had a grudging respect for them as a formidable political machine with a discipline among its MPs that other parties could only dream about - what’s happened?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve never been a fan, but, until fairly recently I had a grudging respect for them as a formidable political machine with a discipline among its MPs that other parties could only dream about - what’s happened?
    Every local candidate is vetted by the central office, so I would assume they are all still following orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Every local candidate is vetted by the central office, so I would assume they are all still following orders.
    Well, you’re always telling us we’re not getting the real message on no end of subjects debated on here - I’d love to know your explanation as to what the plan has been with the Conservative party in the last few weeks.

Turns out it was back frack or get ****ed up by the whips.

Given the reports, appears to be that the government got spooked, told the whips to step it up a notch, chief whip said **** no cya later and violence ensued.

What scenes, surely she is a gonner after this.

I loved the UK version of House of Cards years ago. These shenanigans are even beyond that and that was fiction apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's extraordinary.

Probably a majority that was too big, the pandemic, losing Boris, the war, choosing the wrong leader, the reckless budget..

It's incredible what is happening at the moment. I thought calls for her to go were preposterous a few days ago. Now I can totally understand them

You just wonder what they will feck up next.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    You just wonder what they will feck up next.
    She’s got to go, it’s a question of time, surely!
    At what point do enough of their members say we need a general election? I know it’ll be turkeys voting for Christmas but they’re embarrassing themselves and surely the country means something to them

I wonder what the protocol would be on Liz Truss resigning and handing over to Rishi Sunak and perhaps the commitment of a GE within a year or whatever?

I'm not saying that will happen or would be morally acceptable (although I would be okay with it). I just mean in the sense that if someone resigns from a job theyve taken, the job is often given to whomever wasnt first offered it?

There must be some kind of protocol in place?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I wonder what the protocol would be on Liz Truss resigning and handing over to Rishi Sunak and perhaps the commitment of a GE within a year or whatever?

I'm not saying that will happen or would be morally acceptable (although I would be okay with it). I just mean in the sense that if someone resigns from a job theyve taken, the job is often given to whomever wasnt first offered it?

I may be way off but I presumed they’d need another leadership battle? So that they eventually get to rishi v loon and then the loon takes charge for a couple of months.

I don’t see how anyone could now take the job and there not be a GE on the cards soon though

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I may be way off but I presumed they’d need another leadership battle? So that they eventually get to rishi v loon and then the loon takes charge for a couple of months.

I don’t see how anyone could now take the job and there not be a GE on the cards soon though
    Yeah, thats my assumption. But I mean, say Liz Truss got taken seriously ill one day after winning the leadership election or whatever, presumably in that case they would have a parliamentary vote on handing it to whoever came second?

I dunno..

Yeah, thats my assumption. But I mean, say Liz Truss got taken seriously ill one day after winning the leadership election or whatever, presumably in that case they would have a parliamentary vote on handing it to whoever came second?

I dunno..
    I guess it would go to the deputy pm until they can find someone capable .. or otherwise ..

With how far behind they seemingly are in the polls why would rishi blow his shot though.

I feel like in that scenario you get maybot as a 'safe pair of hands' although she might be about to lose the whip.

Is there any way that the monarch can intervene, and withdraw the permission previously given for the Tories to form a government?

With how far behind they seemingly are in the polls why would rishi blow his shot though.

I feel like in that scenario you get maybot as a 'safe pair of hands' although she might be about to lose the whip.
    Johnson would be more than happy to do it, I'm sure.

There cannot be a leadership election for 12 months, but this can be changed by the backbench 1922 committee. Truss can always resign. not only that, but she can remain as party leader but resign the office of Prime Minister. The latter is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Johnson would be more than happy to do it, I'm sure.
    I really dont think the bufoon would come back. Hes earning plenty on the speech circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I really dont think the bufoon would come back. Hes earning plenty on the speech circuit.
    And he's got the rest of his life to earn more. But politicians are soon forgotten. If he's going to emulate Churchill, his idol, in returning as PM then the window is pretty small.

And he's got the rest of his life to earn more. But politicians are soon forgotten. If he's going to emulate Churchill, his idol, in returning as PM then the window is pretty small.
    He would lap up the opportunity

And there we go:

And there we go:

So, do we think the Tories would elect a DISGRACED Prime Minister as Prime Minister?

Would they sink so low?

Yes I reckon so

So, do we think the Tories would elect a DISGRACED Prime Minister as Prime Minister?

Would they sink so low?

Yes I reckon so
    Without a shadow of a doubt. He'll then make Suella HS again

Would they sink so low?

Yes I reckon so
    They would sink that low but they aren't going to do that.