Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So, who do you want as the next PM

Re: So, who do you want as the next PM

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    according to sky news the buffoon has pulled out of the race

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...-race-12728576
    Indeed he has

This means that Sunak is the front runner. As he was Boris's Chancellor, then it lends more credibility to Sunak becoming Prime Minister in the way that Brown followed Blair. There was no talk of a general election back then, so if Sunak does become PM leader, any talk of the requirement of a GE being needed can be put to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    This means that Sunak is the front runner. As he was Boris's Chancellor, then it lends more credibility to Sunak becoming Prime Minister in the way that Brown followed Blair. There was no talk of a general election back then, so if Sunak does become PM leader, any talk of the requirement of a GE being needed can be put to bed.
    This post might have worked two months ago had the Truss Debacle not happened, and had Sunak been Chancellor for the 2019 election.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    This post might have worked two months ago had the Truss Debacle not happened, and had Sunak been Chancellor for the 2019 election.
    fair points, but my comment was about the chancellor succeeding the PM.

fair points, but my comment was about the chancellor succeeding the PM.
    But the Chancellor is not succeeding the PM. Truss had Kwarteng and Hunt. Sunak was four (FOUR) chancellors ago.

But the Chancellor is not succeeding the PM. Truss had Kwarteng and Hunt. Sunak was four (FOUR) chancellors ago.
    That really is quite astonishing when you think about it.

That really is quite astonishing when you think about it.
    And if you think about it some more, you might understand why so many people are calling for a general election.

Blair, Brown, Cameron and May all had only one chancellor each throughout their time as PM.

And if you think about it some more, you might understand why so many people are calling for a general election.

Blair, Brown, Cameron and May all had only one chancellor each throughout their time as PM.
    Oh I get why people are calling for a GE...its because they know that we'd end up with Labour in power. I don't see many Tories calling for a GE, for the same reason.

Its a quirk of our electoral system that we don't vote for a leader, but for a party. You can argue that people do vote for the leader, and I'd say there is some merit in that, but by and large most people vote for the party that resonates with them as individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    I was wondering how Conservative party members could be so thick to vote for the thick Liz Truss and if the whole process was wrong. I couldn't think of any better though. The MPs get to put forward their preferred candidate(s) based on which one is most likely to save them their jobs. The party members then get to decide which one they'd rather vote for in the next election. Maybe the MPs put forward Truss as a tactical vote as in surely nobody would be so stupid as to vote for her.
    I think it was an anybody but Rishi vote, but they still managed to get him in via the back door. Watch him like a hawk, and a big tell will be if he starts pushing the great reset agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I think it was an anybody but Rishi vote, but they still managed to get him in via the back door. Watch him like a hawk, and a big tell will be if he starts pushing the great reset agenda.
    And if he doesn’t?