+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Friday, October 21, 1966

Friday, October 21, 1966

The Aberfan Tragedy. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/16...yal-family-spt

A terrible waste of life that should have been avoidable - there were repeated warnings. I remember that at the time I was working in the Midland Bank in Tonypandy, and on hearing the news wanted to go and help...but was politely told there were enough people doing that. It is ironic that it was the children's last day of school before half term.......just as it is today for my two sons aged 9 and 3 here in the Dordogne.

There can be nothing worse than a parent losing a child.....and it still brings tears to my eyes.

Re: Friday, October 21, 1966

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    The Aberfan Tragedy. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/16...yal-family-spt

A terrible waste of life that should have been avoidable - there were repeated warnings. I remember that at the time I was working in the Midland Bank in Tonypandy, and on hearing the news wanted to go and help...but was politely told there were enough people doing that. It is ironic that it was the children's last day of school before half term.......just as it is today for my two sons aged 9 and 3 here in the Dordogne.

There can be nothing worse than a parent losing a child.....and it still brings tears to my eyes.
    My cousin Jeff was was the last child to be pulled out alive.
    My old man was really pissed and went to his grave still full of anger about the whole tragedy which many like him believed was going to happen because the slag had been dumped upon mountain streams. He worked in all the Merthyr pits from 1919-1954 like many of the miners they knew the area well but the NCB never took any notice of what locals were saying.

56 years today - RIP

I think the article has got the numbers wrong, 116 children sadly lost their lives, not 166 as published. I worked with a guy who was one of the first firefighters to attend the scene. He very rarely spoke about it.

David Beynon, one of the teachers who died, taught me at Gellifaelog Primary school and got me through my 11-plus exam and into Grammar school in 1964. He moved to Aberfan soon after. He was truly a gentle giant. He played in the second row for Pontypridd and represented Wales in a wartime international. I have always regarded him as my favourite teacher and something of a role model. May all the victims Rest In Peace.

Been to visit there a few times over the years.
    It really is heartbreaking even just to be in the area. Seeing the graves is obviously even moreso.
    I have no direct links with Aberfan, I just remember my old man taking me there when I was young, and being permanently struck by the whole experience.
    I honestly think everyone should go there at some point in their lives. It brings you right back down to earth, no matter how young or old you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Been to visit there a few times over the years.
    It really is heartbreaking even just to be in the area. Seeing the graves is obviously even moreso.
    I have no direct links with Aberfan, I just remember my old man taking me there when I was young, and being permanently struck by the whole experience.
    I honestly think everyone should go there at some point in their lives. It brings you right back down to earth, no matter how young or old you are.
    As a ten year old, I never really appreciated the enormity of what happened at the time - the truth was that Aberfan could have been hundreds of miles away for all I knew and I’m ashamed to admit that, for a short time anyway, mention of the word Aberfan conjured images of the charity football match for victims of the disaster at Ninian Park I went to. That changed around 1970 when my dad passed his driving test and soon our family had a car - something that within a few months had increased my geographical knowledge of South Wales by about a thousand per cent.

The trip I remember most was to the Brecon Beacons because we went through Aberfan - for the first time in my life, I knew exactly where Aberfan was and at fourteen or fifteen, the extent of the tragedy really hit home. I agree with you, it’s a place you really should visit.

Aberfan was then continued to be shiit upon from a great height by the authorities.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...tedly-12025941

At just after 6am on the Saturday I was being driven to Merthyr, picking someone up on our way to the motor show. As a 15 year old, mad on football and cars, I had been looking forward to going to London so much. Driving past Aberfan my abiding memory was of all of the powerful lights.

The memory has remained with me all of my life and now, for the first time, I am going to visit Aberfan in November when I am back in Cardiff for the Wales games. Just the thought of that day makes my stomach churn.

RIP the Aberfan 116.

Was too young to remember the tragedy but the episode dedicated to it in "The Crown" really brought home the true horror of what happened.
    Such a moving portrayal.
    Truly heartbreaking.

May they all RIP 🙏