+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There’s only one team in Wales

There’s only one team in Wales

Until we learn thats it’s no longer us, we’ll always be second best in the SW derbies.

I’ve heard our fans call Swansea “obsessed”, maybe but that’s what it takes to win a derby.

They drum it Into every new player that this is the game they MUST win, the game that is the most important above all others.

Until we lose some of our arrogance and want to win as badly as them, we’re in for a few more years of pain against them.

Re: There’s only one team in Wales

Drumming it into Robinson caused the problem. That red card doesn’t happen against any other team

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Drumming it into Robinson caused the problem. That red card doesn’t happen against any other team
    It’s identified a weakness in his mentality. If he thought throwing a ball in someone’s face was going to win us the game he was very much mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Until we learn thats it’s no longer us, we’ll always be second best in the SW derbies.

I’ve heard our fans call Swansea “obsessed”, maybe but that’s what it takes to win a derby.

They drum it Into every new player that this is the game they MUST win, the game that is the most important above all others.

Until we lose some of our arrogance and want to win as badly as them, we’re in for a few more years of pain against them.
    I think arrogance is the last thing the fan base can be accused of to be honest. I would also find it unhealthy if players were told it was the be all and end all. It’s important of course but we play 46 games a year, not 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I think arrogance is the last thing the fan base can be accused of to be honest. I would also find it unhealthy if players were told it was the be all and end all. It’s important of course but we play 46 games a year, not 2.
    Some of our fans are arrogant, Swansea Town, Bristol our real rivals blah blah blah.

This fixture holds much more weight for me than it does for others, I admit that but if we want to compete we need to forget all this “it’s only 2 matches in a long season” bollox.

It’s identified a weakness in his mentality. If he thought throwing a ball in someone’s face was going to win us the game he was very much mistaken.
    Couldn't agree more.

If he wanted to have a bit of niggle then look at Cabango putting a sly shoulder in (how to do it if you want to stay on the pitch in the modern game) and Robinson taking the bait and attempting to throw the ball at his face (and failing).

Only my opinion but the arrogance thing started around the time we stopped playing the regularly and City were on the upward trajectory whilst they were still pissing about trying not to fall out of the league.

I worked in Swansea for 10 years which included this period of no games. The fact is the majority of their support detest us. I almost pitied them for it although I watched the matches in the 80s and early 90s which could be described as a little troublesome. Their support I still it into their players where I almost feel for some City fans it’s way to cool to be seen as hating them?

They currently feel it more as a fan base and a club. It fuucking shows unfortunately.

No there isn’t, it’s a load of bollocks anyway. They are a bogey team,maybe it’s because we do get everything and swansea doesn’t?

We are the biggest club in Wales, the underdog is going to raise their game against the big boys.

True big clubs don't get their @rses handed to them repeatedly by so called smaller clubs though do they.

The club has lost what it is all about. The passion. The identity. It is a shell of what it was and until that changes we can expect plenty of repeats of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    We are the biggest club in Wales, the underdog is going to raise their game against the big boys.
    Thanks for demonstrating the exact arrogance that means we get battered every derby. I rest my case.

This fixture has always meant more to them and it always will.

Each year we hear how in the build up to the game, the whole of Swansea is talking about it. Gary Monk yesterday said that after the game the city centre would be lively.

In Cardiff, nobody (other than City fans) is talking about the game the week before. If we win, the City centre is no more lively than any other normal evening.

Add to this the general resentment in parts of Wales towards Cardiff because ‘we have everything’. More Jacks will work in Cardiff than vice versa, leading to more one way ‘banter’ and therefore feelings of resentment.

Historically we have been the bigger club through attendances and results, although this gap has narrowed. In other derbies it means more to Sunderland fans than Newcastle, it means more to Birmingham fans than Villa. The bigger clubs have bigger ambitions than simply beating a local rival.

Some of our fans are arrogant, Swansea Town, Bristol our real rivals blah blah blah.

This fixture holds much more weight for me than it does for others, I admit that but if we want to compete we need to forget all this “it’s only 2 matches in a long season” bollox.
    What's arrogant about saying Bristol City are our main rivals? I saw City first play at seven in 1963, I first saw us play Swansea in a league fixture seventeen years later. Granted, I missed some league derbies with Swansea in the early to mid sixties, but we were playing Bristol City twice a season for almost every year before that 1980 game with the jacks. Swansea weren't a factor for the first seventeen years of my City supporting life, is it any wonder therefore that I don't see them as our main rivals?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

If he wanted to have a bit of niggle then look at Cabango putting a sly shoulder in (how to do it if you want to stay on the pitch in the modern game) and Robinson taking the bait and attempting to throw the ball at his face (and failing).
    I think in many ways our team is too nice and not gamesmart enough.

At our place when the jacks went ahead they went down wriggling on the floor, took ages taking every free kick and throw-in, slowed the game down, nibbled at us, kicked us and generally managed the game well.

Similarly yesterday... Cabangos sly nudge into Robinson's back and holding his head like someone had shot him in the eye...just to ensure the ref made the sending off decision (which was the correct one without his antics).

All things we don't do and, sadly, all things you need to do to wind up opponents, get players yellows and manage games.

There was a moment in yesterday's game when obafemi was punished and he lost it a bit and started swinging his arms... Really Ralls or Wintle who were nearest should have moved slightly and ensured obafemi caught them... Gone down and obafemi walks.

It's not nice but we are too nice.

The jacks play nice football but also know these tricks to win the ugly battles. We don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post

Each year we hear how in the build up to the game, the whole of Swansea is talking about it. Gary Monk yesterday said that after the game the city centre would be lively.

In Cardiff, nobody (other than City fans) is talking about the game the week before. If we win, the City centre is no more lively than any other normal evening.

Add to this the general resentment in parts of Wales towards Cardiff because ‘we have everything’. More Jacks will work in Cardiff than vice versa, leading to more one way ‘banter’ and therefore feelings of resentment.

Historically we have been the bigger club through attendances and results, although this gap has narrowed. In other derbies it means more to Sunderland fans than Newcastle, it means more to Birmingham fans than Villa. The bigger clubs have bigger ambitions than simply beating a local rival.
    Please explain our “ambitions” I’d love to know

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What's arrogant about saying Bristol City are our main rivals? I saw City first play at seven in 1963, I first saw us play Swansea in a league fixture seventeen years later. Granted, I missed some league derbies with Swansea in the early to mid sixties, but we were playing Bristol City twice a season for almost every year before that 1980 game with the jacks. Swansea weren't a factor for the first seventeen years of my City supporting life, is it any wonder therefore that I don't see them as our main rivals?
    It’s not if you believe it, but a lot of youngsters say it to try and downplay the derby.

Swansea City have spent a period of what was it 6 seasons ? in the top flight brushing shoulders with the big boys and regularly giving the big boys a bloody nose

I would have loved CCFC to have gone up and stayed up like they did

It gave them so much coverage and in areas traditionally Cardiff the jacks now have a big support .....Bridgend is becoming infested with them

How anyone can think we are a big club or Wales biggest club when they are playing us off the park and getting crowds almost matching ours is cringeworthy

Cardiff should be streaks ahead of Swansea in all things football but we are second best .

Absolutely no bollocks in this club at all and we must avoid relegation at all costs or we will be cut adrift and Swansea will definitely be the dominant force ......and they have been on and off for a decade or so anyway

Please explain our “ambitions” I’d love to know
    Swansea City Football Club is welded to the area far more than CCFC is to Cardiff

It's almost like it doesn't exist

The club has traditionally done sweet f a and the building of the new stadium hasn't really done much to change that

Swansea know that that they have a chance in the championship and may occasionally trouble the top flight

CCFC has a deluded fan base in many respects . We all know it could be a big club but it's all talk and probably always will be . Watch how the biggest club in Wales struggles to get crowds of 10 or 12 k in a 30 k capacity stadium if we go down

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Since 1980 they have been , without a shadow of doubt

Over 40 years

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Swansea City Football Club is welded to the area far more than CCFC is to Cardiff

The club has traditionally done sweet f a and the building of the new stadium hasn't really done much to change that

Swansea know that that they have a chance in the championship and may occasionally trouble the top flight

CCFC has a deluded fan base in many respects . We all know it could be a big club but it's all talk and probably always will be . Watch how the biggest club in Wales struggles to get crowds of 10 or 12 k in a 30 k capacity stadium if we go down
    I'm sick and tired of pointing out that we've never had any sort of drops in attendance after relegation to the third tier in living memory. So, while that constantly remains your prediction, the only basis for that prediction is your own gut instinct, not historical facts and stats.

So, like most of your predictions, utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm sick and tired of pointing out that we've never had any sort of drops in attendance after relegation to the third tier in living memory. So, while that constantly remains your prediction, the only basis for that prediction is your own gut instinct, not historical facts and stats.

So, like most of your predictions, utter nonsense.
    I will see the colour of your money

What is our average gate now ?

Tell me what you think it will be next season

I will allow you a bump of 3000 if we are in the promotion places

50 quid to MIND or Shelter

More abuse in work this morning. Like water off a ducks back now. Embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

City always had a fickle fan base, see the “big” games a bugger the rest. When City beat eventual double winners Spurs in March 1962 a full house of over 55k at Ninian Park, the next game against Villa and less than 12k, City got relegated that season.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Only my opinion but the arrogance thing started around the time we stopped playing the regularly and City were on the upward trajectory whilst they were still pissing about trying not to fall out of the league.

I worked in Swansea for 10 years which included this period of no games. The fact is the majority of their support detest us. I almost pitied them for it although I watched the matches in the 80s and early 90s which could be described as a little troublesome. Their support I still it into their players where I almost feel for some City fans it’s way to cool to be seen as hating them?

They currently feel it more as a fan base and a club. It fuucking shows unfortunately.
    The hatred is a big thing there, they know we are the Capital, they know we get all the money all the facilities, it's just a little brother mentality, they won a football and are happy for an hour or two, now they can go back to their crapy little quadrant City centre be miserable and jealous again.

Making flags, Capital of football, no you will never be the Capital, get over it!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post

Spot on.