+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There’s only one team in Wales

International

Re: There’s only one team in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What's arrogant about saying Bristol City are our main rivals? I saw City first play at seven in 1963, I first saw us play Swansea in a league fixture seventeen years later. Granted, I missed some league derbies with Swansea in the early to mid sixties, but we were playing Bristol City twice a season for almost every year before that 1980 game with the jacks. Swansea weren't a factor for the first seventeen years of my City supporting life, is it any wonder therefore that I don't see them as our main rivals?
    Exactly that's another difference we are not out on a limb, and have other rivals either side of us, they have one proffesional team 40 miles away so only have one rival, and it's their Capital City, it's bound to mean a lot to them in fairness.

International

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I think in many ways our team is too nice and not gamesmart enough.

At our place when the jacks went ahead they went down wriggling on the floor, took ages taking every free kick and throw-in, slowed the game down, nibbled at us, kicked us and generally managed the game well.

Similarly yesterday... Cabangos sly nudge into Robinson's back and holding his head like someone had shot him in the eye...just to ensure the ref made the sending off decision (which was the correct one without his antics).

All things we don't do and, sadly, all things you need to do to wind up opponents, get players yellows and manage games.

There was a moment in yesterday's game when obafemi was punished and he lost it a bit and started swinging his arms... Really Ralls or Wintle who were nearest should have moved slightly and ensured obafemi caught them... Gone down and obafemi walks.

It's not nice but we are too nice.

The jacks play nice football but also know these tricks to win the ugly battles. We don't.
    Exactly right, i've thought that for a while, other teams bully us then dive around when we just glance past them, we need to be far more proffesional and fight fire with fire!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Swansea City Football Club is welded to the area far more than CCFC is to Cardiff

It's almost like it doesn't exist

The club has traditionally done sweet f a and the building of the new stadium hasn't really done much to change that

Swansea know that that they have a chance in the championship and may occasionally trouble the top flight

CCFC has a deluded fan base in many respects . We all know it could be a big club but it's all talk and probably always will be . Watch how the biggest club in Wales struggles to get crowds of 10 or 12 k in a 30 k capacity stadium if we go down
    Swansea city looks out for and unites the people of the city, cardiff city does absolutely nothing for the city of cardiff which is why so few people actually go or even know a game is on. Rather than try and attract more young people from a city of approaching 400,000 they’d probably rather put in a free bus from some obscure valleys town, which is nice, but just bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Until we learn thats it’s no longer us, we’ll always be second best in the SW derbies.

I’ve heard our fans call Swansea “obsessed”, maybe but that’s what it takes to win a derby.

They drum it Into every new player that this is the game they MUST win, the game that is the most important above all others.

Until we lose some of our arrogance and want to win as badly as them, we’re in for a few more years of pain against them.
    I thought Swansea were quite ordinary. We just handed them to them on a plate.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What's arrogant about saying Bristol City are our main rivals? I saw City first play at seven in 1963, I first saw us play Swansea in a league fixture seventeen years later. Granted, I missed some league derbies with Swansea in the early to mid sixties, but we were playing Bristol City twice a season for almost every year before that 1980 game with the jacks. Swansea weren't a factor for the first seventeen years of my City supporting life, is it any wonder therefore that I don't see them as our main rivals?
    There’s been a big shift in the last 2 decades about how they, the wurzels view us too. When they were playing Rovers a lot they naturally had them as rivals and weren’t too bothered by us. Since 2002 playoff, rovers demise and us beating them loads and going up twice, they definitely seem to have that hate building up more…..living there for a few years from 2002 to 2005 it was noticeable.
    They get quite wound up by us these days whereas 20 years ago or more they weren’t so bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I thought the same.

They actually looked void of ideas at many stages.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I thought the same.

we've been pretty good at shutting teams attacks down this season, we allow very few chances per game generally.

Me and my boy said exactly that yesterday but we have also said it of other sides as well this season that we have lost to but we are sleepwalking to relegation at the moment and noone outside the fan base seems to care as there are still no communications from those in control of our club (and I use that in the loosest of senses)

I also wonder how hard our journos are working to get any information from the club because if they are trying and failing they should be telling us that as that would be another sad indictment as to how our club has been run.

I said in another thread that I have emailed Mehmet Dalman direct but as yet still no answer after 6 days of waiting

We are a rudderless shambles at the moment and it is impacting on the pitch as it inevitably would and the board are to blame - all of them

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    This fixture has always meant more to them and it always will.

Each year we hear how in the build up to the game, the whole of Swansea is talking about it. Gary Monk yesterday said that after the game the city centre would be lively.

In Cardiff, nobody (other than City fans) is talking about the game the week before. If we win, the City centre is no more lively than any other normal evening.

Add to this the general resentment in parts of Wales towards Cardiff because ‘we have everything’. More Jacks will work in Cardiff than vice versa, leading to more one way ‘banter’ and therefore feelings of resentment.

Historically we have been the bigger club through attendances and results, although this gap has narrowed. In other derbies it means more to Sunderland fans than Newcastle, it means more to Birmingham fans than Villa. The bigger clubs have bigger ambitions than simply beating a local rival.
    Exactly. It really isn't hard to grasp that it means more to Swansea than it does Cardiff and the reasons why

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Me and my boy said exactly that yesterday but we have also said it of other sides as well this season that we have lost to but we are sleepwalking to relegation at the moment and noone outside the fan base seems to care as there are still no communications from those in control of our club (and I use that in the loosest of senses)

I also wonder how hard our journos are working to get any information from the club because if they are trying and failing they should be telling us that as that would be another sad indictment as to how our club has been run.

I said in another thread that I have emailed Mehmet Dalman direct but as yet still no answer after 6 days of waiting

We are a rudderless shambles at the moment and it is impacting on the pitch as it inevitably would and the board are to blame - all of them

Have found the reaction to yesterday well over the top to be honest. We played 83 minutes with 10 men. Going to lose 90% of games under them circumstances. 7 out of the 11 had never played in a South Wales Derby before so laying into them for the dreadful performances of years gone past is pointless.

Thought Swansea were average but could afford to be with the luxury of an extra man, never felt like we were going to get a hiding at any point compared to QPR on Wednesday where it felt like the extra man could mean it is 5-0 game. I think we'd have given them a very good game and potentially won with 11 yesterday with how the game played out and how laboured and out of ideas they looked at times but wasn't to be so it's frustrating, but don't agree that the current players "don't get it" etc, they're just taking the brunt of frustrations with the old group of players.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I thought the same.

They looked very sharp straight after the sending off for 10 or 15 minutes, I didn't think much of them after that .

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    City always had a fickle fan base, see the “big” games a bugger the rest. When City beat eventual double winners Spurs in March 1962 a full house of over 55k at Ninian Park, the next game against Villa and less than 12k, City got relegated that season.
    We beat the Spurs double team 3-2 in 60/61. We drew with them 1-1 the following season when we were relegated.
    There were some really good results in that 60/61 season which simply weren't built on, as usual.

weird thread

Swansea City have spent a period of what was it 6 seasons ? in the top flight brushing shoulders with the big boys and regularly giving the big boys a bloody nose

I would have loved CCFC to have gone up and stayed up like they did

It gave them so much coverage and in areas traditionally Cardiff the jacks now have a big support .....Bridgend is becoming infested with them

How anyone can think we are a big club or Wales biggest club when they are playing us off the park and getting crowds almost matching ours is cringeworthy

Cardiff should be streaks ahead of Swansea in all things football but we are second best .

Absolutely no bollocks in this club at all and we must avoid relegation at all costs or we will be cut adrift and Swansea will definitely be the dominant force ......and they have been on and off for a decade or so anyway
    So despite having a worse squad than them, a worse record over the last 10 years, a string of poor results against them but still getting bigger crowds we can't say we're a bigger club? Why? Because you saw a couple of Herberts in white tops walking around Bridgend? Get a grip.

So despite having a worse squad than them, a worse record over the last 10 years, a string of poor results against them but still getting bigger crowds we can't say we're a bigger club? Why? Because you saw a couple of Herberts in white tops walking around Bridgend? Get a grip.
    You think crowds of 18000 for us ......a far bigger city , far more populated catchment area........v them , crowds of 16000 ......makes us a bigger club ?

2 or 3 thousand bigger gates ?

24 , 25 thousand I would give you a prize

People who stumble across this thread (and board generally) would be forgiven for thinking that this was a Swansea City forum. The amount of abuse the owner, board, manager and team get here is far greater than anything the Swansea media and fans throw at us. It is disgraceful really. We will never be a ‘big club’ with people like that ‘supporting’ us.

You think crowds of 18000 for us ......a far bigger city , far more populated catchment area........v them , crowds of 16000 ......makes us a bigger club ?

2 or 3 thousand bigger gates ?

24 , 25 thousand I would give you a prize
    18,000 > 16,000. So yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    People who stumble across this thread (and board generally) would be forgiven for thinking that this was a Swansea City forum. The amount of abuse the owner, board, manager and team get here is far greater than anything the Swansea media and fans throw at us. It is disgraceful really. We will never be a ‘big club’ with people like that ‘supporting’ us.
    Even you have to admit that Swansea have been better run and more successful than City over the last 15 years.

Just looking at their list of managers compared to ours is an embarrassment.

18,000 > 16,000. So yes.
    So Cardiff with a far bigger local population and a huge metropolitan area gets just a few thousand more than Swansea.......which is far smaller and has a smaller metropolitan population ......and that means it's a bigger club ?

Sort yourself out , our attendances are almost exactly the same

So Cardiff with a far bigger local population and a huge metropolitan area gets just a few thousand more than Swansea.......which is far smaller and has a smaller metropolitan population ......and that means it's a bigger club ?

It's not just about population size is it - there will be lots of the Cardiff population that have no connection with Cardiff or its football club let alone interested in football.

It is what it is re attendances - we are not a sleeping giant and never have been - we have punched above our weight for the last 10-12 years and are probably finding our level now the real debt inducing investment has stopped

It's not just about population size is it - there will be lots of the Cardiff population that have no connection with Cardiff or its football club let alone interested in football.

It is what it is re attendances - we are not a sleeping giant and never have been - we have punched above our weight for the last 10-12 years and are probably finding our level now the real debt inducing investment has stopped
    Swansea has a large student population , people living there from abroad , rugger buggers

Our crowds are not substantially bigger than Swanseas ......and they should be

Swansea has a large student population , people living there from abroad , rugger buggers

Our crowds are not substantially bigger than Swanseas ......and they should be
    Cardiff have large student population and people who stay after graduating, large influx of non Cardiff born residents and not sure what rugger buggers are if I'm honest?

We are not a big club and never have been

Cardiff have large student population and people who stay after graduating, large influx of non Cardiff born residents and not sure what rugger buggers are if I'm honest?

We are not a big club and never have been
    Rugby obsessed apes

Often Liverpool or man United fans

No. They're not. we get 18,000, they get 16,000. The difference is 2,000. If they got 32,000 and we got 34,000 the difference would still NOT be the same.