+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we as bad as people have been making out?

Are we as bad as people have been making out?

A contributor to the feedback section of my blog posted this link in his reply to my piece on Sunday’s game.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...ship-2022-2023

If you look at the current form chart, you’ll see that, apart from Wigan who are bottom, the other five sides we’ve played with Mark Hudson in charge are all in the top six. Clearly, the three points they took against us is helping the jacks, QPR and Coventry get into such a lofty position, but it’s been a very tough introduction for Hudson.

For me, we’ve got a problem at left back and our goal scoring record has to improve (having only one winger making any sort of meaningful contribution doesn’t help in that regard), but, although I share the sense of doom and gloom when it comes to how the club is being run, I don’t think things on the pitch are as bad as many are painting them.

Re: Are we as bad as people have been making out?

Sense written at last! Too many doom mongers on this board I reckon.
    Thank goodness someone has a realistic perception about the state of the City.

League table doesnt lie at this part of the season.

Finish where we are now and id be delighted.

Its a poorly put together squad.

I don’t think the squad is as bad as some make out, yes we have some injuries and light upfront but I think we have enough. We obviously need a manager. As frustrating as the pen and red card was against QPR they looked like they were going to walk all over us anyway, but we will never know. The Swansea game we started brightly and again we will never know because of the red card.

I think Hudson had a couple of good results but to many alarm bells running, odd changes etc.

I feel we are not in any danger of relegation.

It’ll be mid table obscurity

Our last 2 games we’ve been down to 10 men after 7 minutes and 16 minutes (plus conceded a penalty) against 2 of the most inform teams in the league. We’d lost before we’d barely got going.

I’ve said it numerous times, pick our best 11 and leave the deadwood in the stands

Scoring a meagre 12 goals in 16 games tells the story. If that record doesn't improve it's very difficult to imagine how we can avoid relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’ve said it numerous times, pick our best 11 and leave the deadwood in the stands
    What would your best 11 be?

I'd probably drop Ojo and Nkounkou for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    The Deadwood Stage?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    What would your best 11 be?

I'd probably drop Ojo and Nkounkou for starters.
    With Robinson missing 3. Your leaving out Ojo so from the Swansea 11. Nkounkou out as well.

So with Bagan injured who would you play at left back? Who comes in for Ojo and Robinson.?

The reality is the choices show the squad weakness.

With the currently available players yes but our casualty list contains many first choice players, Collins, Romeo, Ng, Adams ….
    If they were all available we’d be more of a threat.

However, having signed 17 players, with only one recognised striker was a huge mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    With Robinson missing 3. Your leaving out Ojo so from the Swansea 11. Nkounkou out as well.

So with Bagan injured who would you play at left back? Who comes in for Ojo and Robinson.?

The reality is the choices show the squad weakness.
    Bagan played tonight

Frustrating is how I'd describe us currently. We're not out-and-out shite and have showed small glimpses of exciting football but lack quality all 'round really.

We're a bit 'undefined' as a team, i.e. not known for either having a strong defence or a dangerous attack.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Frustrating is how I'd describe us currently. We're not out-and-out shite and have showed small glimpses of exciting football but lack quality all 'round really.

We're a bit 'undefined' as a team, i.e. not known for either having a strong defence or a dangerous attack.
    And we’ve lost the set piece threat that has bailed us out for probably the last 20 years.

Depends how bad people have been saying we are!

I think most see us as staring a dull 17th place squarely in the face.

I'm hoping for a bit of a cup run myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    And we’ve lost the set piece threat that has bailed us out for probably the last 20 years.
    We have no set piece threat whatsoever from being one of if not the best. Shocking.

Bagan played tonight
    Hopefully fully fit and available for selection soon then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We have no set piece threat whatsoever from being one of if not the best. Shocking.
    No, it's not shocking. Shocking is how we've had to rely on set pieces for years as we've not known how to play football.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No, it's not shocking. Shocking is how we've had to rely on set pieces for years as we've not known how to play football.
    Nah its shocking..

Now we aren't very good at football and useless at set pieces.

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Deadwood Stage?

My sister took me to see this film, at the Avenue Cinema, Ely, when I was about 9.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A contributor to the feedback section of my blog posted this link in his reply to my piece on Sunday’s game.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...ship-2022-2023

If you look at the current form chart, you’ll see that, apart from Wigan who are bottom, the other five sides we’ve played with Mark Hudson in charge are all in the top six. Clearly, the three points they took against us is helping the jacks, QPR and Coventry get into such a lofty position, but it’s been a very tough introduction for Hudson.

For me, we’ve got a problem at left back and our goal scoring record has to improve (having only one winger making any sort of meaningful contribution doesn’t help in that regard), but, although I share the sense of doom and gloom when it comes to how the club is being run, I don’t think things on the pitch are as bad as many are painting them.
    I know we lost 2-0 on Sunday and it could have been worse, but I felt we played better than either derby game last season, despite being down to 10 men. Had Sang's volley flown in things could have been different. Even at 1-0 down we never looked totally out of the game and created a couple of chances. Once it went 2-0 we were gone.

Earlier in the season we had the lowest number of attempts at goal. We've improved on that. Unfortunately we now have the lowest attempts on target of any team in the Championship and one of the highest attempts off target per game. We've got the lowest number of attempts at goal from inside the box in the division, which is a major concern. It demonstrates a lack of cutting edge, a lack of getting players into the box and a lack of creativity.

For me, this season is about building for the future, getting away from long ball bollocks and trying to play football. We should never revert back just because things are difficult. I think crowds this season have embraced what we're trying to do.

Our success this season will depend on our defensive work. If Colwell and Davies spark into life at some point, great. Those two will keep us up. We need to be difficult to beat but we have lost more games than all bar Huddersfield. I was more concerned by our defence after Sunday than our attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I know we lost 2-0 on Sunday and it could have been worse, but I felt we played better than either derby game last season, despite being down to 10 men. Had Sang's volley flown in things could have been different. Even at 1-0 down we never looked totally out of the game and created a couple of chances. Once it went 2-0 we were gone.

Earlier in the season we had the lowest number of attempts at goal. We've improved on that. Unfortunately we now have the lowest attempts on target of any team in the Championship and one of the highest attempts off target per game. We've got the lowest number of attempts at goal from inside the box in the division, which is a major concern. It demonstrates a lack of cutting edge, a lack of getting players into the box and a lack of creativity.

For me, this season is about building for the future, getting away from long ball bollocks and trying to play football. We should never revert back just because things are difficult. I think crowds this season have embraced what we're trying to do.

Our success this season will depend on our defensive work. If Colwell and Davies spark into life at some point, great. Those two will keep us up. We need to be difficult to beat but we have lost more games than all bar Huddersfield. I was more concerned by our defence after Sunday than our attack.
    What attack? Apart from the Sang shot, we stopped attacking after 4 minutes. No wonder the defence’s deficiencies stood out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    What attack? Apart from the Sang shot, we stopped attacking after 4 minutes. No wonder the defence’s deficiencies stood out.
    Before they scored their second I recall a header that went close from a set piece. I didn't say we had an attack, we were never going to against a passing team like them.

With the currently available players yes but our casualty list contains many first choice players, Collins, Romeo, Ng, Adams ….
    If they were all available we’d be more of a threat.

However, having signed 17 players, with only one recognised striker was a huge mistake.
    And one that almost everyone could see. Quite incredible really.