+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we as bad as people have been making out?

Re: Are we as bad as people have been making out?

We're not that bad. But there are holes in the squad. Someone somewhere can get this team moving in the right direction and build. Right now, I don't think it's Hudson. I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong. He seems like a good bloke, but he's not looking like a manager to me. We had a bloke that looked like a manager but everyone hated him. I just don't want us to regress to survival mode. The season is young, we can get better.

The league table doesn’t lie, look at that and it’ll tell you how bad we are.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Ten days ago we were tenth, was the table lying then? Coventry are currently twenty second, so is the table lying there? The league is very compacted this season (it's possible we could go up to thirteenth with a win on Saturday) - time will tell whether we will be one of them, but there are going to be a lot of sides in the division whose finishing position is going to be completely different to what it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ten days ago we were tenth, was the table lying then? Coventry are currently twenty second, so is the table lying there? The league is very compacted this season (it's possible we could go up to thirteenth with a win on Saturday) - time will tell whether we will be one of them, but there are going to be a lot of sides in the division whose finishing position is going to be completely different to what it is now.
    Coventry are an anomaly though because they've played fewer games. I believe the table doesn't lie and that we're crap right now. However, it's often been said that in The Championship any team can beat anyone else. That's not always been strictly true but I think it is this season and currently.

We're rudderless on and off the park, pitch, grass (delete where appropriate) though and need grabbing by the scruff as a club.

We have some decent players, we also have some very good players, we have a number who are there to make up the squad and shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.
    When most of the injured players return, we'll be okay. The addition of another decent winger and striker is a priority if we want to progress

In terms of effectiveness at either end of the pitch, I'd say we're not great, but any judgement about City's performances/ability has to be taken in context. Not only have we brought in 17 relatively unknown players, coupled to that we have injuries to 6 or 7 who would be playing regularly in the team.

Providing Husdon doesn't move away from Morison's philosophy of building from the back etc., I think we'll start to win our fair share of games come December. The current team IMHO could well go down, but with the squad back to nearer full strength I'd be happy with my 18th/19th/20th prediction, and maybe a decent mid-table possibility - which would auger well for next season..

We were 10th then and we are where we are now.
    We can't use the old 'table is compacted' argument for the possibility to shoot up a couple of places if we don't admit that it is the very reason we are where we are right now.

Compacted or not we are a few points from the relegation zone. If that doesn't change soon then the league gets progressively less compacted and then it is panic stations. I think it already is very alarming. The great board seem fine with it though. They've got it all under control.

International

A contributor to the feedback section of my blog posted this link in his reply to my piece on Sunday’s game.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...ship-2022-2023

If you look at the current form chart, you’ll see that, apart from Wigan who are bottom, the other five sides we’ve played with Mark Hudson in charge are all in the top six. Clearly, the three points they took against us is helping the jacks, QPR and Coventry get into such a lofty position, but it’s been a very tough introduction for Hudson.

For me, we’ve got a problem at left back and our goal scoring record has to improve (having only one winger making any sort of meaningful contribution doesn’t help in that regard), but, although I share the sense of doom and gloom when it comes to how the club is being run, I don’t think things on the pitch are as bad as many are painting them.
    Agreed I have been saying exactly the same for the last few weeks, left back a massive problem and costing us goals, and we seem to have been unlucky playing most teams when they are hitting good form, plus we have been really unlucky with refereeing decisions.

Agreed on Strikers we took far to long to get Robinson, who is OK and now we lose him for another three games at a very important time. I think we are in a slightly false position, and should pull away from the bottom gradually over the rest of the season, although with injuries to three key defenders it could be a difficult period until the World Cup.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’ve said it numerous times, pick our best 11 and leave the deadwood in the stands
    Problem is potentially five or six are injured and one is suspended.

This is a dangerous league to be in this season. After we'd played 16 games last season the bottom 3 had 5, 9 & 11 points. This season they have 12, 14 & 17 (with 2 games in hand in Coventrys case & 1 game in hand for Huddersfield).
    We were 1 point clear of the drop zone on 12 points. Now we're 1 point clear of the drop zone on 18 points.
    So it looks like it's going to take a higher than average points total to stay up. Mid-table mediocrity won't be so easy to come by.

As we slide down the table it's the psychological pressure on the players and manager each game that's another added pressure and negatively impacts when there's little to no buffer and becomes self-defeating in itself. It still amazes me what Cooper did last year at Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    This is a dangerous league to be in this season. After we'd played 16 games last season the bottom 3 had 5, 9 & 11 points. This season they have 12, 14 & 17 (with 2 games in hand in Coventrys case & 1 game in hand for Huddersfield).
    We were 1 point clear of the drop zone on 12 points. Now we're 1 point clear of the drop zone on 18 points.
    So it looks like it's going to take a higher than average points total to stay up. Mid-table mediocrity won't be so easy to come by.
    This is a good point, if results continue as is with such a close league then less points will be required to make the play offs and more to stay up. We also don’t have the extra cushion this season of teams with points deduction.

Anybody confident of beating Rotherham at home this Saturday? Thought not, we’re not very good at the moment and seem to be reverting in the last few games ( albeit under extenuating circumstances of playing with 10 men) to yet again hoofing the ball aimlessly up the pitch.

No were not, many are seemingly ignoring the context of the last 3 games in their judgement of Hudson. Two red cards and a wrongfully disallowed goal have undoubtedly impacted the results, do we have 3 straight defeats without them? I doubt it.

We had a poor transfer window which has left us thin on quality. I know I've banged on but there was no need to sign 17 players. It's left us with a first team squad of about 30, with not a great deal of quality in there at all

What's really baffled me are the loan signings. Last January, Morison (or the recruitment team or whoever) identified loan signings which had an immediate and positive impact on the starting XI. This summer we signed a decent centre back, a comedy left back and someone who is now in our under 21s! Good loan signings were crucial this season and I think we've messed that up

Skybet have us a very generous 4/1 for relegation.

Those shorter Huddersfield Wigan Blackpool Hull and Rotherham.

Defeat to Rotherham Saturday and im sure will change positions with them.

Four of the five games to be played before the world cup break are at home,city will need to win at least two of those.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We had a bloke that looked like a manager but everyone hated him. I just don't want us to regress to survival mode. The season is young, we can get better.
    Um we had a bloke who'd just lost 12 in 21 league and cup games winning just 5.

The longer it goes on the more it’s a true reflection. If we lose Saturday I think that will almost guarantee relegation. Early to say that, and happy to be proved wrong but no help is coming in the January transfer market

The longer it goes on the more it’s a true reflection. If we lose Saturday I think that will almost guarantee relegation. Early to say that, and happy to be proved wrong but no help is coming in the January transfer market
    A tad overdramatic don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Without a doubt.

Bit of a statement that!

It wont guarantee relegation.

We need id say 3 wins at least before the window and then new players probably at least 3 to go straight in the starting line up.

Id also recall McGuinness.

Lose Saturday though and this side is under real pressure.(if it isnt already)

This season was always going to be about rebuilding and it wasn't going to be a quick fix.
    I believe we have a decent enough squad but i feel we need to add another three maybe four players in January with one being a striker.

A contributor to the feedback section of my blog posted this link in his reply to my piece on Sunday’s game.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...ship-2022-2023

If you look at the current form chart, you’ll see that, apart from Wigan who are bottom, the other five sides we’ve played with Mark Hudson in charge are all in the top six. Clearly, the three points they took against us is helping the jacks, QPR and Coventry get into such a lofty position, but it’s been a very tough introduction for Hudson.

For me, we’ve got a problem at left back and our goal scoring record has to improve (having only one winger making any sort of meaningful contribution doesn’t help in that regard), but, although I share the sense of doom and gloom when it comes to how the club is being run, I don’t think things on the pitch are as bad as many are painting them.
    I agree and if you look at the circumstances of the last few games with a bit of better luck we could have a couple of extra points too.

We’ve also been missing 1/2 to 3/4 of our first choice defence in the last few games

I want to wait and see what happens in the next few games before I get carried away. I think we’ve got some decent players here - and some other very good ones injured which is hurting us ( Collins, Davies,Adams, Colwill etc).

Some very good youngsters coming through too.

I’d get Bagan in instead of Neils and Davies in up front asap, but the nucleus of the 1st team are decent players at this level imho

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I hope so. A few injuries and lack of decision making by the board and we are in real trouble. As I said, I hope I’m wrong.

We aren’t scoring goals and I have no idea where they will come from. That’s the most concerning thing for me

After 16 games? Of course it does! The league table doesn't lie until after 46 games have been played.