+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who has played under the most managers at Cardiff?

Who has played under the most managers at Cardiff?

I was reading this Graun article and thought Joe Ralls could have featured.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-the-same-club

By my reckoning Joe has an "impressive" record of 13 managers to date 9 permanent - Jones, Mackay, Solskjaer, Slade, Trollope, Warnock, Harris, McCarthy, Morison, and four "interims" - Kerslake, Young, Gabbidon, Hudson.

What are the chances of him passing Deeney's record by the end of his current contract?

Re: Who has played under the most managers at Cardiff?

Does Kerslake count for Ralls? Wasn't he out on loan at Yeovil when we were in the Premier League?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Does Kerslake count for Ralls? Wasn't he out on loan at Yeovil when we were in the Premier League?
    Yes he was, but he would have worked with Kerslake in 11/12.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes he was, but he would have worked with Kerslake in 11/12.
    But he wouldn't have played under Kerslake as manager

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    But he wouldn't have played under Kerslake as manager
    I make it that Phil Dwyer, who holds the record for most appearances for City played under nine managers. Someone like Tom Farquhasen (probably spelt that wrong) kept on playing for us as we dropped down the divisions in the thirties, but, those two apart, I’m struggling to think of any City player who would have played under more managers than Ralls.

I make it that Phil Dwyer, who holds the record for most appearances for City played under nine managers. Someone like Tom Farquhasen (probably spelt that wrong) kept on playing for us as we dropped down the divisions in the thirties, but, those two apart, I’m struggling to think of any City player who would have played under more managers than Ralls.
    More to the point, we've never had such a high turnover of managers as we have in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    More to the point, we've never had such a high turnover of managers as we have in the last decade.
    Yes, I just wondered if we went through a lot of managers in the early thirties while that Irish goalkeeper was playing for us - I doubt it if it was eight or more though. We went through a lot of managers in the late eighties and nineties, so I suppose there’s a chance someone like Jason Perry, Damon Searle or Scott Young may have played under more than Ralls and Dwyer.

When Dave Jones was near the end of his time with us he was (I think) the third longest serving manager in the top four leagues - after Ferguson and Wenger. I always felt a bit of pride about that, no matter how many times Jones' teams frustrated or wasted their chances. It was a sign of stability and loyalty. No more.

Actually, Dwyer played under ten managers - Lew Clayton was caretaker manager for a while after Scoular was sacked.

Wasn't Young and Gabbidon effectively 1 manager?

How many for Roger Gibbins in his two stints with us ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Good shout.

Yes, I just wondered if we went through a lot of managers in the early thirties while that Irish goalkeeper was playing for us - I doubt it if it was eight or more though. We went through a lot of managers in the late eighties and nineties, so I suppose there’s a chance someone like Jason Perry, Damon Searle or Scott Young may have played under more than Ralls and Dwyer.
    I make it that Perry played under 7 different managers (Hibbitt and May did 2 stints when he was there). Roger Gibbins played under 7. I think Scott Young played under 10, though Eddie May did 2 stints and Kenny Hibbert did 3. Searle played under 5.

Scott Young would have played under 13 different appointments if you include Kenny Hibbitts 3 terms separately.

I make it that Perry played under 7 different managers (Hibbitt and May did 2 stints when he was there). Roger Gibbins played under 7. I think Scott Young played under 10, though Eddie May did 2 stints and Kenny Hibbert did 3. Searle played under 5.
    Are you including Mark Aiselwood (spelling) as a manager ?

Are you including Mark Aiselwood (spelling) as a manager ?
    I never thought he was ever our manager.

I never thought he was ever our manager.
    Didn’t he take over for a few games ?
    I’m sure he did, before Eddie came back and told him to fu**off

Gibbins was less than I thought it would be, five or six I make it, depending on whether Frank Burrows or Len Ashurst signed him second time around.

Tom Farquharson, although with the club ages, only played under three managers, obviously Fred Stewart, our longest serving manager (1911-1933), Bartley Wilson (Mr Cardiff City, although he was a Wurzel), who filled in when Stewart resigned and then Ben Watts-Jones who stayed until 1937. Tom finished with us in 1935 after 13 years at the club. Many long term players must have spent their whole City career under Fred Stewart.

I obviously googled this but Fred Stewart always springs to mind re. anything to do with longevity at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Tom Farquharson, although with the club ages, only played under three managers, obviously Fred Stewart, our longest serving manager (1911-1933), Bartley Wilson (Mr Cardiff City, although he was a Wurzel), who filled in when Stewart resigned and then Ben Watts-Jones who stayed until 1937. Tom finished with us in 1935 after 13 years at the club. Many long term players must have spent their whole City career under Fred Stewart.

I obviously googled this but Fred Stewart always springs to mind re. anything to do with longevity at the club.
    Yes, I didn’t realise Fred Stewart stayed st the club so long.

Didn’t he take over for a few games ?
    I’m sure he did, before Eddie came back and told him to fu**off
    My recollection was that we had a takeover that might have failed in the 1994/95 season. They sacked Eddie May, put Terry Yorath in charge, but something went wrong with the takeover and Eddie May was reinstalled by the returning Rick Wright. It was chaos. In the midst of all of this, didn't we have to sell Stantona?

God knows how many have come and gone since I started.
    Jimmy Scoular was my first.

Gibbins was less than I thought it would be, five or six I make it, depending on whether Frank Burrows or Len Ashurst signed him second time around.
    Burrows signed him. I remember him hanging about the club at the end of the 88-89 season. I didn't recognise hime as he had shaved his tache, and he would sit in the home changing room reading the gee gees section of the paper while i mopped the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Burrows signed him. I remember him hanging about the club at the end of the 88-89 season. I didn't recognise hime as he had shaved his tache, and he would sit in the home changing room reading the gee gees section of the paper while i mopped the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Wasn't Young and Gabbidon effectively 1 manager?
    Correct.