+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Power Of Attorney Query To Those That Have Them

Power Of Attorney Query To Those That Have Them

My parents have asked me to organise me being their POA. I wonder if anyone with experience of dealing can help me with a query, rather than me calling someone where they want to take all my details and 'get back' to me.

I understand that there are two types, one for health and one for finances.

Do you have to pay twice if you want both (once for each type) ?

Do I have to have a seperate POA for each parent, ie pay twice for the one POA or four times for the two ?

Appreciate any help, thanks. Cant find the answer anywhere on the net.

Re: Power Of Attorney Query To Those That Have Them

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    My parents have asked me to organise me being their POA. I wonder if anyone with experience of dealing can help me with a query, rather than me calling someone where they want to take all my details and 'get back' to me.

Do I have to have a seperate POA for each parent, ie pay twice for the one POA or four times for the two ?

I have it for both health and finances for both my parents. I have 4 separate letters confirming it so I think they're 4 separate things. Not sure about the cost implications - my parents arranged it with their solicitor and I just had to sign it.

You’re best going on the Gov.uk website and looking up lasting power of attorney
    My mother in law had Alzheimer’s so we were unable to be Power of Attorney as you must register SEVEN YEARS before diagnosis
    Honestly
    We therefore had to become “deputy’s” via the office of the public guardian at great cost
    We had to employ an accountant
    My advice would be get it sorted now while they’re lucid mate
    It’ll be cheaper 👍

International

You can do them online, it's not too difficult, but as above do it now before things change it's too late then.

I have got both health and financial LPA for my mother and my aunt (as has my brother). I am sure the £82 registration fee applies to each type of LPA and also to each person (e.g. both parents) for which it is registered. There are possible reductions or exemptions to the fee - covered in notes on the Gov.UK site:

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

It is fairly easy to do online. No need to pay anyone (like a solicitor) to do it.

Also worth mentioning that I thought I had POA for both my parents (dad died some years back) from the early 2000s - but the form used then was not properly registered, and its scope didn't match the current types, so wouldn't have been very useful anyway.

The Gov.UK site, or the Age Concern website, are very helpful in answering all the basic questions.

Bad news...you have to pay twice per person...health (form LP1H), finance (form LP1F) but exemptions may apply (means-tested). A total of 80 pages to fill in. Hassle but worth it. I've gone through the process with both parents and now with M-i-L. Tip. Make sure the attorneys are local/easy to communicate with and get the "jointly and severally" box ticked so that individual attorneys can act on their own. Also...page 6 on the Finance doc , for example,...attorneys to make decisions "as soon as LPA is registered". Even after paperwork is completed, next stage is to register with Office for Public Guardian. That process can take months. Good luck.

I’ve have LPA for my mother.

You have to pay for them both ( £82 x 4) and the process is fairly straightforward ( if she has capacity)

If your mother and father are in receipt of a means tested benefit like Pension Credit you are eligible for a refund but you will need to present proof of their benefits when applying for a refund.

Yes you will have to pay for each one, so in your case it will be four times £82. I'd say that the finance one is the more important one to get.

You don’t have to pay. You can do them yourself if you want to.

But yes you need one for health and one for finance.

Thanks all, really useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    You don’t have to pay. You can do them yourself if you want to.

But yes you need one for health and one for finance.
    You can create a LPA but it's not valid until registered with Office of the Public Guardian. At which point in time the charge could be £82 per document.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    You’re best going on the Gov.uk website and looking up lasting power of attorney
    My mother in law had Alzheimer’s so we were unable to be Power of Attorney as you must register SEVEN YEARS before diagnosis
    Honestly
    We therefore had to become “deputy’s” via the office of the public guardian at great cost
    We had to employ an accountant
    My advice would be get it sorted now while they’re lucid mate
    It’ll be cheaper 👍
    I think the rule about seven years has changed as i arranged poa for my Aunt last year who had already had an Alzheimers diagnosis, we just needed a doctor to sign that she was ok to make the descision at the time when she signed , it went through with no problem i completed the forms online a fairly straight forward process

In short, yes.

Speak to Age Cymru. They will make sure it all gets done and stored properly and won't cost you an arm and a leg like going through a solicitor. Doing it yourself is an option but you won't know if you get it wrong until it's too late. I wouldn't recommend it after seeing families argue and blame each other. Age Cymru will sort it out for you.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/cymru/our-w...life-planning/

Duplicated for some reason.

Firstly it's very easy to do. Secondly. There are 2 POAs - one for health and one for property. Each POA relates to a person so sadly there are 4 charges. As you go through the online process the charges will be self explanatory. Even if you start the process you are not committed to pay until the end so give it a try. Once submitted it takes an age to be registered so be patient. It's a doddle so don't be tempted by third parties as suggested above.