+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Electric Bicycles Advice

First Team

Electric Bicycles Advice

I have a couple of e-bikes in the US but basically there is very little regulation/law around their nature or use in the US. (They are both 500W Radpower bikes that are chip-limited to 20MPH.)

I am thinking of buying an e-bike for Cardiff. I am somewhat confused because here they seem much more expensive, lower powered, are limited to a peddle-assist mode, and, limited to less than 15MPH. Have I got all this wrong?

Any advice much appreciated.

Re: Electric Bicycles Advice

The best way of purchasing is always via cycle to work schemes which a load of companies offer.
    Electric bikes are included too.

I have purchased about £2k worth of bike and accessories without committing any capital to it.
    You pay it back via your wages but the benefit is the saving in Tax and NI.
    Took 18 months pay back but saved about £800 - effectively 2 bikes were free.

I don’t know if that really answers your question - electric cars and vans are more my specialty.

You will need the following (not an exhaustive list)....
    A bike
    A full set of lycra equipment clothing
    Wrap round shades
    A honed sense of road/pavement (sidewalk) entitlement
    A well studied array of expletives
    A stare that could wilt a cabbage
    Other like-minded people accompanying you (optional)

BTW, electric cycling is cheating!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    A bike
    Wrap round shades

I agree with everything this man says.

International

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I have a couple of e-bikes in the US but basically there is very little regulation/law around their nature or use in the US. (They are both 500W Radpower bikes that are chip-limited to 20MPH.)

I am thinking of buying an e-bike for Cardiff. I am somewhat confused because here they seem much more expensive, lower powered, are limited to a peddle-assist mode, and, limited to less than 15MPH. Have I got all this wrong?

You can chip them to run faster with no max speed, but they are very expensive here.

couldnt you just bring one bike over, will cost you £100 - £200, but you can have the bike you are used to then

And I bet E bikes in the US will be cheaper than the UK ( though the exchange rate will not help with that )

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post

You live in Cardiff as well as AZ? How do yo you fly back? I've considered Aer Lingus to Dublin and then on to Rhoose which is just a couple of miles from my parents' house. If I could climb down the cliff, I could walk there in 20 minutes. But the layover makes it not worth it. Where do you live in AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You live in Cardiff as well as AZ? How do yo you fly back? I've considered Aer Lingus to Dublin and then on to Rhoose which is just a couple of miles from my parents' house. If I could climb down the cliff, I could walk there in 20 minutes. But the layover makes it not worth it. Where do you live in AZ?
    we love the Dublin route, clear Border control at Dublin, makes the journey much more pleasant knowing you get of the plane as a internal flight

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    The best way of purchasing is always via cycle to work schemes which a load of companies offer.
    Electric bikes are included too.

I have purchased about £2k worth of bike and accessories without committing any capital to it.
    You pay it back via your wages but the benefit is the saving in Tax and NI.
    Took 18 months pay back but saved about £800 - effectively 2 bikes were free.

I don’t know if that really answers your question - electric cars and vans are more my specialty.
    I work in the US. I don't think your cunning plan would work.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    couldnt you just bring one bike over, will cost you £100 - £200, but you can have the bike you are used to then

And I bet E bikes in the US will be cheaper than the UK ( though the exchange rate will not help with that )
    This has occurred to me but I think I may get stopped at the border for duty/having an illegal e-bike. I don't fully understand UK law on e-bikes. Thus my post.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I live in Phoenix. I just did PHX-MSP-AMS-CWL for $580 return. The plane to Amsterdam was empty. You can get a low fare to CWL if you look around on Delta at the moment. Hanging around in Schipol was not much fun though.

If you chip an e-bike and remove the speed limit you're effectively changing its classification from a bicycle to a moped. That would mean insurance, registration and the requirement to wear a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    A bike
    Wrap round shades

And a massive chip on your shoulder haha

Bloody hell! You flew from the US to Netherlands on in an empty jet and you want an E bike?
    Are you trying to reduce your carbon footprint :
    Sorry for the dig. (I couldn’t help myself).

A decent ebike is about £2k. It is limited to 250w and electrical assist cuts out at 15mph.
    You can have a throttle as well as pedal assist

I know this thread is about 'electric bicycles', however, I thought I'd post a pic of my electric scooter. It has 5 batteries that help give it a top speed of 60kph (roughly 37mph) with a speed limiter.
    Quite a few bikes here have added a 6th battery and an electronic box of some sort, which makes them incredibly fast - 110kph (just shy of 70mph).

e-bike.jpg