+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rob Edwards rumours and odds dropping?

Re: Rob Edwards rumours and odds dropping?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Being direct doesn’t necessarily mean hoofball or abandoning the project to play a more modern style of football.

It could mean playing through the lines quicker. Liverpool are a lot more direct than Man City for example but they don’t play hoofball.

Edwards was manager of Wolves under 23s and England under 16s I would highly doubt his style is going to be a throw back to Warnock and Mick.

And let’s be honest what was Morisons “project” exactly? Defenders tippy tappying across the back four which apart from padding out the possession stats wasn’t exactly getting us anywhere, we weren’t exactly cutting teams open. Yes the odd good half, the odd good goal but a lot of the time passing the ball with no real purpose just passing for passing sake. That’s as boring to watch as hoofball.
    Agree, it was less around Edwards and his style and more around the club that i was aiming my sarcasm at. However, i'm convinced Hudson will still be charge come December and most likely sacked a day before the transfer window closes.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post

I know next to nothing about Rob Edward but according to Not the Top 20 Podcast, he likes 3/5 at the back and direct football so makes absolutely perfect sense for us abandon whatever "project" we were undertaking after 16 games. Go get him!
    It was abandoned when sacking SM with no clue what to do next.

I'm not sure what Hudson's ideas are but we are certainly not looking to keep the ball anywhere near as much.

I was never convinced the club really had any real project in place, it was entirely up to SM

Rob Edwards success at FGR is simple, Matt Stevens 27 goals, Jamille Matt 20 goals. When Stevens got injured they collapsed. Not saying he didn’t do a good life but life’s easier when your two strikers get you nearly 50 goals

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Rob Edwards success at FGR is simple, Matt Stevens 27 goals, Jamille Matt 20 goals. When Stevens got injured they collapsed. Not saying he didn’t do a good life but life’s easier when your two strikers get you nearly 50 goals
    Good players make good coaches.

That's why I'm wary about Edwards. Watford assumed he was the real deal on very little evidence and while I don't blame him for being sacked from that basket case of a club, I'd like a bit more evidence of him having done well in the lower divisions.

Would he have not had anything to do with that though? Looking at Matt Stevens pretty much half his goals scored in his career so far were in that season, the other half pretty much in non league.

Jamille Matt is early 30s and had only previously hit double figures in league 2 or above once before FGR.

It undoubtedly helps but is it fair to say maybe they scored as many partly because of something Edwards was doing right?

I don't believe we have anyone in mind other than Hudson anyway to be fair, who may turn out to be good but at present doesn't even have that success in league 2 that Edwards does.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I never know what to make of managerial changes. To me doesn't strike me as much more experienced as Hudson
    He's not my first choice. But he's managed over 100 games. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not sure about him, Forest Green limped over the line last season after having a big lead. I wouldn’t be too critical of what happened at Watford mind, but I thought it was too big a job for someone so inexperienced and the way he left Forest Green didn’t look good.
    Same here. Would much prefer Critchley.

Happy with Hudson for now though. He’s produced 3 of our 4 best performances- yesterday, Wigan and Blackburn bring the 3 and with a bit of luck would have had a decent record ( although 10 points from 7 games isn’t bad)

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don’t know how big or small it is, but I think there’s a group of good quality managers who remember the rebrand and some of the stories coming out of the club during our first season in the Premier League and would not be interested in coming here under the current ownership.

I’d like to think we could get Critchley if we wanted him, but I doubt it if we could.
    I reckon we could. Much more attractive proposition than Blackpool where he was last

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Would he have not had anything to do with that though? Looking at Matt Stevens pretty much half his goals scored in his career so far were in that season, the other half pretty much in non league.

Jamille Matt is early 30s and had only previously hit double figures in league 2 or above once before FGR.

It undoubtedly helps but is it fair to say maybe they scored as many partly because of something Edwards was doing right?

I don't believe we have anyone in mind other than Hudson anyway to be fair, who may turn out to be good but at present doesn't even have that success in league 2 that Edwards does.
    They also had a very good midfield. One of whom came to us and the other to Bristol City. He took them up with the best squad and biggest budget. Can only deal with what you’ve got, but I think what Critchley did at Blackpool was far more impressive

I never got how we went from Forest Green to Watford, seemed a leap to far to quickly , in fact his managerial journey is a strange one :

2016 Wolverhampton Wanderers (interim)
    2017–2018 AFC Telford United
    2018–2019 Wolverhampton Wanderers U23
    2020–2021 England U16
    2021–2022 Forest Green Rovers