+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We missed Robonson on Saturday

International

We missed Robonson on Saturday

Robinson typo, can you edit a title?

A very comfortable win and a decent performance, Harris played well, but if had Robinson as well, I think that would have been an easy two or three nil.

Despite dominating that was a narrow win, another Striker in the window is essential, he needs more cover, maybe Hugill?

Re: We missed Robonson on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

A very comfortable win and a decent performance, Harris played well, but if had Robinson as well, I think that would have been an easy two or three nil.

Despite dominating that was a narrow win, another Striker in the window is essential, he needs more cover, maybe Hugill?
    We need two decent strikers and creative midfielders. Hugill should not be one of them and Watters, Harris and Etete need to go asap. People will say keep Harris but only because he's the least mediocre of three awful strikers.

None of our current lot would get into the teams Eric posted, including Hugill, who faded badly after his debut against Forest.

Edit: no point signing anyone under Hudson either.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    We need two decent strikers and creative midfielders. Hugill should not be one of them and Watters, Harris and Etete need to go asap. People will say keep Harris but only because he's the least mediocre of three awful strikers.

None of our current lot would get into the teams Eric posted, including Hugill, who faded badly after his debut against Forest.

January windows are a difficult time to sign Strikers, I think we need better than Hugill, but he's OK and better than most of what we have and would be a realistic option as he's not getting a game at Norwich and could possibly be loaned out or sold.

I'd take him, he would add a lot to this squads options.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

Etete is 20 years old and inexperienced. He needs bringing on slowly. The fact that Spurs signed him indicates his potential. To right him off totally now is very short sighted and unfair. Your description of Hughill ‘fading badly’ is not one that I recognise either. He played well in all his 18 games for us last season and was a big part of us pulling away from trouble, including his four goals. In a team playing more passing football he could flourish even more and do even better. Harris is not Championship standard I would agree and has been given enough of a chance and I would keep Watters over him any day. A player that is continually slagged off by a section of fans is hardly going to get any confidence. He is better suited to playing in a two up front and hasn’t really been tried in that role so far.

January windows are a difficult time to sign Strikers, I think we need better than Hugill, but he's OK and better than most of what we have and would be a realistic option as he's not getting a game at Norwich and could possibly be loaned out or sold.

I think Idah's still injured (?) and hasn't had a good injury record. Pukki is ahead of Hugill who came on late on Saturday so I think we've got no chance even if we wanted him. Things can change a lot in January but you're right, there's not much out there and I hope we're not in the drop zone by then because it'll be even harder.

If Hudson is still in charge we won't sign anyone decent imo.

Keeping Robinson fit (and on the park) will be essential. He needs to be starting every game with Harris on the bench. I'd bin Watters and Etete now and experiment a bit more with better footballers in the side. The big worries are Colwill & Davies. Even if fit, they're not established 1st team players any more and it will take time.

We need to climb up the table soon before the WC break because if we don't, literally everything will be harder to accomplish. If Robinson gets injured, we're f*cked.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Etete is 20 years old and inexperienced. He needs bringing on slowly. The fact that Spurs signed him indicates his potential. To right him off totally now is very short sighted and unfair. Your description of Hughill ‘fading badly’ is not one that I recognise either. He played well in all his 18 games for us last season and was a big part of us pulling away from trouble, including his four goals. In a team playing more passing football he could flourish even more and do even better. Harris is not Championship standard I would agree and has been given enough of a chance and I would keep Watters over him any day. A player that is continually slagged off by a section of fans is hardly going to get any confidence. He is better suited to playing in a two up front and hasn’t really been tried in that role so far.
    I'm not sure I saw Hughill play well in all of his games last season but then it wouldn't be the first thing we wouldn't see eye to eye on.

Also why don't you support Harris? That's what supporters do isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You're right about Etete but why oh why did we sign him? He should be playing in L1 and be a regular starter rather than hanging around with us. I just posted that Hugill can't leave Norwich because they are effectively a main striker down so I think it's pointless to keep going back to talking about him and we should have done better in the summer.

I think he played alright and pressed the way Morison wanted him to and had the energy levels to do the job for 70-80 mins but for me, faded after I'd watched his first 4 or 5 matches and wasn't the prolific scorer I wanted him to be plus...well...he was OK and I'd quite like us to have a main striker that is better than that. You're right though, he would do better in this squad but there's a striker down at Grangetown Harlequins that would do well in this squad too.

He'd add Hugill to this squad's options. Which isn't much.

I think there would have been a very positive reaction on here if we'd signed Liam Delap for the season as Steve Morison wanted to, but he was always going to go to Stoke in front of us given his father's connections with that club. Was there a young striker available on loan with a better reputation than Delap this summer? I can't think of one at the moment, yet he's scored just one so far this season and had been on the bench for three of Stoke's last four matches. I tend to favour going for young prospects, rather than experience, but I think if we do try to bring someone in, we should go for experience in January because another youngster would be too risky given our goalscoring problems - the wurzels have got stacks of strikers and maybe someone like Chris Martin could do a short term job for us?